Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know when Tesla may open a Melbourne store? I read eailer in this thread that they wanted a spot at Chadstone, but couldn't get one.

Hi Henry I'm hoping it will be before the end of the year. Given the amount of cars they need to deliver they obviously need a base for that to happen.

In the meantime if you need anything just give them a call. They have the paint and interior samples as well as the car. So it's even better than a store because they come to you!

Well, it seems that the factory close down is just about here, and none of us have moved on from "sourcing".I guess now the earliest that can happen will be early August. First deliveries not before mid to late September!! So much for a mooted late July first delivery! I mean they don't hesitate to give delivery dates like October to new US orders, so why the reluctance to even give us a potential month to deliver in? They really do need to have made some decisions by now. It is not just production, they also need to book a ship. It seems like the bunch of cars they got a week or so ago did not contain any customer cars, unless that too is being kept under wraps, for disclosure with the quarterly results on July 31st?

Hi Dborn, I think the rumoured factory closure was a matter of rumour feeding on rumour.... from what I have gleaned the factory did have a scheduled shutdown for holidays the first week of July but otherwise it is production as normal.

In this case we can still go into production at any time.....

Cheers
David

I had my test drive today, mostly around the streets of South Melbourne although I was apparently the first one to drive a Model S around Albert Park Lake, definitely not at race speeds!

The car is smaller than I expected although quite wide. It's a pretty tight fit in my apartment car park although I'll need to recalibrate as my daily around town drive is a smart Roadster.

Interior and ergonomics
Ample storage space front and back although rear seat head space is limited, my head was touching the roof lining and I'm only 173cm tall. Not sure how much headspace there'll be for the dog in the rear boot (big dog)
Seats were comfortable and easy to adjust both seat and steering wheel for reach and height in order to get comfortable. Can't comment on their long term comfort though.
Glovebox was actually able to hold more than a pair of gloves although not cavernous.
Steering wheel was comfortable, unfortunately the indicators aren't a 'single tap for 3 seconds of flicking' like on my smart - a very useful feature.
Convex wing mirrors! AAAARRRRGGGGH!
Displays - as fantastic as everyone says, fantastic visibility although it was an overcast day. No obvious fingerprints. No web browser and unlikely to get it at this time.

Driving
Comfortable ride, much more comfortable on 21" wheels than I was expecting, still glad that I'm going for 19" though. Very impressed with the ride quality down our cobbled lane access to our car park and over speed humps. The long wheel base and the air suspension help with this of course.
Nicely weighted steering on sport setting, precise without a lot of feedback in that Mercedes kind of way.
Q U I E T, again it'll take some time to recalibrate and not speed around town as there are less auditory and tactile cues as to speed.
Corners flat around Albert Park and changes direction nimbly through the temporary 'chicanes'.
Regen was less noticeable than I expected but easy to get the hang of, it's a bit like early Gran Tourismo, when you accelerate it just goes, when you stop accelerating it just slows rather than coasts.

My carpark - tight access, it'll need some familiarity.

Did I like it? 'Just a bit'.:smile:

I had my test drive today, mostly around the streets of South Melbourne although I was apparently the first one to drive a Model S around Albert Park Lake, definitely not at race speeds!

The car is smaller than I expected although quite wide. It's a pretty tight fit in my apartment car park although I'll need to recalibrate as my daily around town drive is a smart Roadster.

Interior and ergonomics
Ample storage space front and back although rear seat head space is limited, my head was touching the roof lining and I'm only 173cm tall. Not sure how much headspace there'll be for the dog in the rear boot (big dog)
Seats were comfortable and easy to adjust both seat and steering wheel for reach and height in order to get comfortable. Can't comment on their long term comfort though.
Glovebox was actually able to hold more than a pair of gloves although not cavernous.
Steering wheel was comfortable, unfortunately the indicators aren't a 'single tap for 3 seconds of flicking' like on my smart - a very useful feature.
Convex wing mirrors! AAAARRRRGGGGH!
Displays - as fantastic as everyone says, fantastic visibility although it was an overcast day. No obvious fingerprints. No web browser and unlikely to get it at this time.

Driving
Comfortable ride, much more comfortable on 21" wheels than I was expecting, still glad that I'm going for 19" though. Very impressed with the ride quality down our cobbled lane access to our car park and over speed humps. The long wheel base and the air suspension help with this of course.
Nicely weighted steering on sport setting, precise without a lot of feedback in that Mercedes kind of way.
Q U I E T, again it'll take some time to recalibrate and not speed around town as there are less auditory and tactile cues as to speed.
Corners flat around Albert Park and changes direction nimbly through the temporary 'chicanes'.
Regen was less noticeable than I expected but easy to get the hang of, it's a bit like early Gran Tourismo, when you accelerate it just goes, when you stop accelerating it just slows rather than coasts.

My carpark - tight access, it'll need some familiarity.

Did I like it? 'Just a bit'.:smile:

Thanks for the review Michael - man, I'm so jealous, I really wanted to go around Albert Park lake too. Maybe we can all meet up when we get our cars and do a few "laps".

One thing though - when I drove it I tested the "single tap for 3 seconds of flicking" and it worked? I wanted to test this feature as it's on my Peugeot and I really like it. Hmmm not sure what's going on there! Glad you liked the car though!

I had a test drive this evening, charging validation is in progress now. I've driven the car before so it was just nice to have another go and to show a couple of mates and the family.

They guys are sure working hard and have been at it all day taking people for test drives and charging at various places. They were nice enough to give us a reasonable time in the cars given how late it was when they finally came around.

I'm sure hoping that the web browsing will be activated when the cars arrive. But it would be typical of our stupid regulators if this had to be permanently deactivated.

Well, the plant is shut down, with production resuming August 4th. So, time to stop checking the dashboard. So deliveries other than the Browns will probably not start before mid late September. Don't know who sigs 3,4,and5 are, but they too may have been built. Do we really want to be the first builds off the new line, especially when the backlog pressure is going to be very high?
I suppose, on the bright side, this gives the motor and pack assembly areas time to build up inventory ahead of line reopening, and the stamping mills time also to build up parts.

Last edited: