Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very impressive on both announcements.

Who wishes to bet most of the auto pilot functions won't be permitted to be used on Australian roads?

I'm willing to bet they won't work as well as claimed. I've got lane departure warning on a BMW and a Mercedes and it's so unreliable it is useless. Personally, I wouldn't want my car to tell me how fast to drive. Auto braking is also unreliable.

New here so I'll try and make sense!

Great forum and you guys in Australia who have ordered the MS years ago, well you are my hero's, you have invested money
into something that didn't even exist when you laid down a deposit, lets hope the experience is worth it

G'day Ainkara, Just contact Matthew Ung Vung Lau, Tesla Sales, Melbourne, at [email protected], 0423 303 010. He is most helpful. Don't get into a flap about Melbourne traffic - particularly on the weekend. Go for it - you won't regret it !

I've been trying to get a test drive but dealing via email with Pietter who I think may be in Amsterdam and
it all became to hard hopefully Matthew will be a better contact. I
'm in the same boat as Ainkara in that a MS is way out of my price range and was worried that there would be some high pressure
salesmen there to make me sign up, I'd love to but not so sure the wife would talk to me again, the model 3 would be with in budget though.

Can you let us know how you get on with the test drive Ainkara?

Just been watching the launch of the D and am very excited by this car, even more awesome than a normal model S, does that make it uber-awesome!
I think the auto pilot would only work on roads that have white lines along the edges so maybe of limited use in rural Aust except maybe the freeways.

I'm willing to bet they won't work as well as claimed. I've got lane departure warning on a BMW and a Mercedes and it's so unreliable it is useless. Personally, I wouldn't want my car to tell me how fast to drive. Auto braking is also unreliable.

I have an Infiniti FX37S, lane departure works extremely well, if I was being less attentive, it beeps, warns and then pulls the wheels back in exactly like a driver. Not sure how merc and BMW fails at this, I'm sure Infiniti didn't invent this.

Its $14800 USD for P85D. From memory this is roughly the same as what a P85+ was above a P85.
Its $4000 USD for S85/S60 which doesn't require 21", Tech Pkg or Smart Air Suspension.

A P85+ in Australia was $7,900 (ex tax) more than a P85. The D option for a P85 will be significantly more expensive than the + option was. $14,700 (ex tax) is what the P option is over a standard 85.

Based on the $US prices, and the drop in the Aussie dollar since most of us ordered, I think that sadly the P85D will $220-240k. Well outside my price range now.
The good news is that I don't really need it and all the self drive stuff will be very,very cool.

Don't worry, by the time the D makes it onto our shores, you'll have saved enough to get it!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really happy now that I've seen the blog post on TM.com

It's got some great features that weren't mentioned in the announcement but should make a big difference to all our cars. My favourites being the increased seat comfort and the quieter cabin. One of my biggest disapointments with the car was how noisy it was when driven at speed, given that it's supposed to be a near silent car, I wanted it to be as quiet as possible at all speeds. Hopefully they've made huge improvements to it! Just goes to show that even though there's no such thing as "years" for the Model S, good things still come to those who wait (whether it was our choice or not!):

Our commitment to continuous improvement extends to other features of Model S, and we have recently made several updates to the car, including:

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

More than happy with my current build. Don't need or want the D. My wife was scared in the test drive car when I punched it. Grimace more than grin! No need to help the government coffers more than the the 26 grand that I will contributing for this one!

- - - Updated - - -

Seems that both the forums and ordering pages are not available at present.

Are you saying you asked for an order change and they said no?

- - - Updated - - -

TasMc, are you "in the queue" like me, or do you have a build date for your existing order?

The same - "entered the production queue". So no build date yet, when speaking with Linda Han earlier this week, she indicated build would occur around 5 weeks from now.

Saw this comment on the Tesla corporate blog, so there is hope yet ...
kunigi
5:16PM | OCT 10, 2014
I think forums is down to give bandwidth to people placing orders. I had a December delivery of a 85 and switched to a 85D. I called Tesla headquarters. I had to enter in a new order and select the pay later option for the deposit. Once the order was in the system, I called Tesla and they transferred my deposit from my existing order to my new order. Afterwards, they closed out my order for the 85.
Interestingly, I just got the HPWC installed this afternoon. It will be sitting idle for a while now.
I also cancelled my order for dedicated snow tires. I currently live in Wisconsin with a 550 x-drive and a 335 x-drive. Neither have snow tires (all seasons) and they perform fine in the snow here. For the Tesla with just rear wheel drive, I was getting dedicated snows.

Saw this comment on the Tesla corporate blog, so there is hope yet ...
kunigi
5:16PM | OCT 10, 2014
I think forums is down to give bandwidth to people placing orders. I had a December delivery of a 85 and switched to a 85D. I called Tesla headquarters. I had to enter in a new order and select the pay later option for the deposit. Once the order was in the system, I called Tesla and they transferred my deposit from my existing order to my new order. Afterwards, they closed out my order for the 85.
Interestingly, I just got the HPWC installed this afternoon. It will be sitting idle for a while now.
I also cancelled my order for dedicated snow tires. I currently live in Wisconsin with a 550 x-drive and a 335 x-drive. Neither have snow tires (all seasons) and they perform fine in the snow here. For the Tesla with just rear wheel drive, I was getting dedicated snows.

I think this comment in the official blog entry means that we won't see 'D's here for quite a while:

Customers can order a Dual Motor Model S today. Deliveries of P85D begin in December for North America, to be followed 85D and 60D in February. Deliveries to Europe and Asia will follow in the months afterwards.