Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing you must have unplugged around 6:30? Otherwise I'd have expected to see it tapering off at least a little bit. What do you have your slider set to?

Using a supercharger, there is a lot of tapering off, from ~110 kW and downwards. Using only 7kW, it is flat until very close to a full charge. If you don't range charge, but only charge to your daily local commute, a 7Kw charging station wouldn't likely taper at all.

I'm guessing you must have unplugged around 6:30? Otherwise I'd have expected to see it tapering off at least a little bit. What do you have your slider set to?
No, didn't unplug. The charge was set to the normal daily charge limit.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Graphs! Is there something you had to install or set up to get these?
I'm using a Current Cost meter which I then have some custom code to push it up to my website graphs. I've been running it for 4 or 5 years like this monitoring power usage and solar generation.

You can now buy a product made by CurrentCost called a Bridge which you can then plug into your home network to push up to a service they provide to monitor your usage.
I've puchased my gear from Smart Now http://www.smartnow.com.au.

reading the recent blog post on Tesla, and then followed to the new "your questions answered", three things stuck out for me:

1. The car at the top of the page is a Green Tesla, which can no longer be ordered :D (update your pages Tesla!)
2. How much the range drops when you are doing city driving and have the AC on - a whopping 151 km erased off your total range. Is that a mistake?
3. I couldn't see a metric option for this page - C'mon Telsa you're a worldwide company now!

Question for tech savvy people. Rated vs Typical range. Rated is the range quoted by the USA EPA. I have been told that typical range will vary and is constantly modified by our individual driving numbers and so should be more accurately representative of reality for us. The wording is different from that used in the US.
Is this true?

Pretty close. My understanding is Rated range equals that which would be achieved if you drove the car the manner which is used to achieve the EPA range (ie the 502 km number) from that point forward. The typical range will average based on how you have been driving recently. Note that typical range is tied to the period (10, 25, 50km) displayed on the Energy Consumption display.

So rated is what you could achieve if you drive very very economically, typical is what you will achieve if you keep driving as you have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm a long time lurker but very recent member. I picked up my car a week ago and have written a review on some of the not so commonly covered aspects here: http://www.greenrenovation.com.au/cars/australian-tesla-model-s-review/

I've been confused about the different terminology used in U.S. vs other markets, this is what I've been able to figure out (based on the tiny reference in our Owners Manual, and much searching)

In the U.S. "Rated Range" refers to the range when tested as per the U.S. EPA standard - and it gives 265 miles or 424 km of range

In the rest of the world "Rated Range" refers to the range when tested as per the United Nations ECE R101 standard - and it gives 311 miles or 500 km of range

In the U.S. "Ideal" refers to the ECE rating, and in the rest of the world "Typical" refers to the U.S. rating - this way all markets show both sets of numbers, but "Rated" is based on the more relevant authority.

In other words, U.S. "Rated" = "Typical" on our cars (and seems like the best option to use) and U.S. "Ideal" = "Rated" on our cars (and is the more optimistic number)

In addition there's also "Projected" range which is only available on the large screen via the "Energy" app - this uses your recent driving history to project remaining distance - and you can adjust how much history is shown on the graph which directly affects how much history is used to calculate the projected range.

My car still has its ADR Fuel Consumption Label on the windscreen and it quotes 181 Wh/km on the label.
I haven't asked Tesla but I think the Rated Range on Australian delivered cars is based on that number.
On the trip up to the Southern Highlands on Monday I was averaging around 220 Wh/Km but that is largely up-hill all the way.
Used a lot less on the way down and beat the rated Wh/Km overall, but I kept it to 100Km/h to make sure I got home.

Question for tech savvy people. Rated vs Typical range. Rated is the range quoted by the USA EPA. I have been told that typical range will vary and is constantly modified by our individual driving numbers and so should be more accurately representative of reality for us. The wording is different from that used in the US.
Is this true?

Ideal vs Typical range: Ideal is more optimistic, while even Typical is optimistic in that - if you follow normal traffic you won't even achieve that (unless you are driving 70-80 km/h or so, with no stops or steep hills).

So I am using Typical range, well knowing it's still optimistic.

The best way to go is the Energy page: It always defaults to "Instant" even after you select average. I don't know of anyone who uses the instant, which ironically isn't instant at all (only near-instant). So on the energy page, select Average, and choose between the last 10km, 25km or 50km (for us in metric). THAT number is the most realistic. Add or subtract if your destination is either above or below your present elevation - there is a rule of thumb somewhere (10 km pr 1000 feet?)

I already suggested a function where you can select to display "Average range based on the last 10 km minus the distance to your programmed destination" - well knowing we don't have Navigation enabled in Hong Kong yet. This function will be very useful, as it answers the question of "What is the predicted range I have remaining at destination?".

I did this manually when renting a Model S in Europe, driving on the autobahn (This car DID have nav enabled, I think you have nav in Australia also?). As the range is so much dependant on speed and the German Autobahn allows for free speeds many stretches - it's good to know if you can reach destination or not. It was quite successful, I stabilised at a speed around 145 km/h while keeping my calculated range at least 15 km above the remaining distance to destination, and arrived with 18 km remaining on this stretch. If you really need to go as far as you can, you can switch to Ideal range. Turn air con off, then drive around 40 km/h - that way you can get more than 600 km on a full charge if driving conditions permit.

So for this, the "range" you really want to use is "Energy, Average, 10/25/50 km" plus/minus elevation".

The range displayed in your speedometer is calculated on either Ideal or Typical, and is directly connected to your remaining charge, regardless of driving style.

Last edited:
reading the recent blog post on Tesla, and then followed to the new "your questions answered", three things stuck out for me:

1. The car at the top of the page is a Green Tesla, which can no longer be ordered :D (update your pages Tesla!)
2. How much the range drops when you are doing city driving and have the AC on - a whopping 151 km erased off your total range. Is that a mistake?
3. I couldn't see a metric option for this page - C'mon Telsa you're a worldwide company now!

Timpoo, that recent blog post on Tesla gave me that ultimate confidence to click the CONFIRM button for my Tesla order.
Although I had a clear preference for the Tesla Model S85 I still didn't have enough technical data to justify my choice over a BMW i3 REX which in principle could also cover my intended commuting distance which is about 180 km return trip.
85% of that return trip is on roads with speed limits >80km and majority 100km.
The BMW i3 performs well at lower speeds but at higher speeds the Tesla Model S85 with its low drag coeff of 0.24 has an obvious advantage over the BMW i3 REX with a drag coeff of 0.30
View attachment 67790
references: Tesla Model S85 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------BMW i3: ref 1 & ref 2
Tesla Model S85 Available energy for range driving: 75.9 kWh --------------------------------------------BMW i3 Available energy for range driving: 18.8 kWh
View attachment 67792
Tesla vs BMW consumption.png