Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, on a near empty highway, I drove 31 km from work and back home. Set cruise control to 80 km/h, and kept that most of the time (some smaller roads were slower, just a few km and included braking). Both locations are close to sea level, so although there is a gentle rise to a few hundred feet, it comes back most of it again.

I started with 183 km typical range, and ended with 153, so at 80 km/h and no aggressive acceleration or braking, no air con, not much wind - that is what gives you "typical range"

Bear in mind that ideal range is even more optimistic, maybe you need to drive 50 km/h or so to obtain that.

Last night, on a near empty highway, I drove 31 km from work and back home. Set cruise control to 80 km/h, and kept that most of the time (some smaller roads were slower, just a few km and included braking). Both locations are close to sea level, so although there is a gentle rise to a few hundred feet, it comes back most of it again.

I started with 183 km typical range, and ended with 153, so at 80 km/h and no aggressive acceleration or braking, no air con, not much wind - that is what gives you "typical range"
My experience is different. Over long trips I find "typical range" to be very close to my usage with cruise control set to 100 km/h. This is in a P85+, not the most efficient model.

One thing I notice is that trips always start with a horrendous overage consumption, as if there's some number of Wh counted before you even begin, and you need a long trip to reduce the impact of that.
image.jpg

Living outside of the capital cities I've been very excited to see a Tesla, but hadn't seen one in the flesh yet. Half way through a 6 week holiday around Europe, we're in Amsterdam and they are everywhere here. Seen them parked and driving, charging and not. Visited the Tesla store, and in an hour we are going to the airport, via a Tesla taxi. They have 200 teslas operating as taxis in Amsterdam! Really cool to see the electric revolution in full swing here.

I have found EV Trip Planner https://www.evtripplanner.com to work well - so far very accurate. So much so that I made a reasonable donation to the college fund of the 16 yo who developed it.

I donated a while back, but at this stage I'm not seeing the same numbers while driving. My usage is around the 200Wh/km, but EV tripper seems a bit optimistic. I hardly use the brakes and am not flooring it, so am treating the results with a grain of salt at this stage.

I donated a while back, but at this stage I'm not seeing the same numbers while driving. My usage is around the 200Wh/km, but EV tripper seems a bit optimistic. I hardly use the brakes and am not flooring it, so am treating the results with a grain of salt at this stage.

The calculations have been spot on so far .... maybe you need to use a higher speed multiplier! I used 1.2 for my wife's trip to Inverloch but the 1.0 almost exactly matched her usage - which was basically moving with the traffic flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Re the wind factor - if you look at his tabs under 'Weather Variation' he has some calculations so show the impact. I have been factoring my speed to be 1.2 just to be on the safe side. His calculations use google maps to measure traffic speed and also calculates variations due to changes in elevation.

Went to chadstone and sat in my first model S today.
The car looks amazing, that Duco and those rims *drool*
The inside seemed odd at first. I can see why a lot of people say the inside is lacking. There's not much there other than the screen. All the usuals are missing and one 17" inch screen takes up less room.
Just a matter of getting use to something different.
The car is huge, inside and out. I knew it was big, but in person the car looks very long. model 3 size will be a winner size for me.
They couldn't give out prices and referred people to the website. They did say it's close to an E class, so people would have some idea.

The calculations have been spot on so far .... maybe you need to use a higher speed multiplier! I used 1.2 for my wife's trip to Inverloch

Driving to work and back today with the traffic, not flooring it etc but just keeping with the traffic I used 7.6kWh to drive 40.7 km. 188Wh/km. EV trip planner set with the inside and outside temp at 22 ( I didn't have the air conditioning running) and an S85 with 19" and carrying 90kg tells me that I'd use 5.5KWh. 28% out is quite a lot.

Went to chadstone and sat in my first model S today.
The car looks amazing, that Duco and those rims *drool*
The inside seemed odd at first. I can see why a lot of people say the inside is lacking. There's not much there other than the screen. All the usuals are missing and one 17" inch screen takes up less room.
Just a matter of getting use to something different.
The car is huge, inside and out. I knew it was big, but in person the car looks very long. model 3 size will be a winner size for me.
They couldn't give out prices and referred people to the website. They did say it's close to an E class, so people would have some idea.

Length and width compares pretty well with the BMW X5 I used to drive, the Model S being 7 cm longer.
Model 3 size will indeed be a winner, several sources claim it will be 20% shorter than the Model S but we'll need to be patient to see the Model 3 in Australia, probably 2018?

Driving to work and back today with the traffic, not flooring it etc but just keeping with the traffic I used 7.6kWh to drive 40.7 km. 188Wh/km. EV trip planner set with the inside and outside temp at 22 ( I didn't have the air conditioning running) and an S85 with 19" and carrying 90kg tells me that I'd use 5.5KWh. 28% out is quite a lot.

Yes I am not surprised - I think you are expecting too much for any range planner to deal with a low km peak hour trip!