Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I correct that Tesla will do the infotainment upgrade for all FSD owners (regardless of AP version) and then start the upgrades for non FSD owners ?

Not entirely correct.

MCU1 with AP 2.5 with FSD Pre-purchased get it first
MCU1 with AP 2.0 with FSD Pre-purchased get it next
Everyone else to follow.

*Currently limited to US only at this time. Other regions to be announced.

This according to their web page that they sent to everyone.
URL = Infotainment Upgrade

Reactions: Dan Baldwin
Agreed. I just retrofitted my own mcu2 into my mcu1 car (before tesla started offering it) and was sure mcu2's backup camera was darker than mcu1. Still decent during the day, but nighttime is very dark. Glad I'm not alone in noticing this.

Did you get the FM/XM radio to work when you retrofitted your own MCU2 into your MCU1 car? If so, can you chime in on whether this will be do-able or possible with the formal Infotainment upgrade based on your insights and experiences with the tuner?

Did you get the FM/XM radio to work when you retrofitted your own MCU2 into your MCU1 car? If so, can you chime in on whether this will be do-able or possible with the formal Infotainment upgrade based on your insights and experiences with the tuner?
Yes I did retrofit the new tuner. It will be possible to DIY, but it won't be plug and play. You'll need the ability to edit the car's configuration on the gateway to enable the MCU2 to recognize the tuner on firmwares 2020.8.1+.

Yes I did retrofit the new tuner. It will be possible to DIY, but it won't be plug and play. You'll need the ability to edit the car's configuration on the gateway to enable the MCU2 to recognize the tuner on firmwares 2020.8.1+.

Is editing the car's configuration on the gateway a protected feature? I mean is it locked out by Tesla? And also, if we do get in and edit it, will it revert back when Tesla does an update or when they scan the car over the air for some reason?

I got an appt for Monday but unsure if I will go given the nature of things...perhaps just push a week.

Also, my quote was different than most. It included (cant do a screenshot now) the $2500 fee, $210 and change for labor, and then the $2500 itself was taxed. The all-in cost was $2900 and change, so different than others here. Just FYI.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Yes fairly close. What's missing is the connector reference, the wiring information, and instructions how to tell gateway that tuner is present. (And to do a redeploy)

Could you give me tip on how to get MCU2 to factory mode? I connected through .103 (obviously there's no .101 like before) It does get into developer mode and I can activate diagnostics mode. However even if I do Reset All Data from Factory tab or GUIfactorymode=true it doesn't work. With reset all data, it says factory reset complete yet all the data is still there.

I need to unlock .125 somehow to edit the config. Any tips?

I got an appt for Monday but unsure if I will go given the nature of things...perhaps just push a week.

Also, my quote was different than most. It included (cant do a screenshot now) the $2500 fee, $210 and change for labor, and then the $2500 itself was taxed. The all-in cost was $2900 and change, so different than others here. Just FYI.

I thought $2500 included it all but tax. what's the $210 for

Reactions: MIT_S60 and croman
Is editing the car's configuration on the gateway a protected feature? I mean is it locked out by Tesla? And also, if we do get in and edit it, will it revert back when Tesla does an update or when they scan the car over the air for some reason?

I asked the question too. Your other questions have been answered too about the same time as the one below.

it's not difficult and no special tools are needed.

But Tesla considers these methods exploits (because it also allows you to unlock features you did not pay for) so when they become public, they are closed or mitigated. As such documenting such methods is self-defeating.

That's exactly why the regulation just says "station". Because you do not need a license.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.
You obviously are misinterpreting the FCC rules. This leads me to believe that you are:
a. A troll
b. A person that just likes to argue for the sake of arguing
c. A person that just feels the need to THINK he is always right

This conversation is "off topic" and you are attempting to escalate it to the point where "in your eyes" you have won the argument. I am a licensed amateur radio operator and I know what I am talking about. A "station" is interpreted by the FCC as a ham radio transceiver being operated by a licensed amateur operator. A ham radio transceiver being operated by an unlicensed individual is against FCC regulations. I will concede that IF an unlicensed individual were to operate a ham radio transceiver in a proven life and death situation, the FCC would more than likely be very lenient given the circumstances. That person, nonetheless, would be in direct violation of part 15 of the FCC rules and regulations. No matter how much you argue, you are incorrect. That is enough said. Back to ON TOPIC conversation. I know that you will have to have your last say on this, but it will fall on deaf ears as I am "ignoring" any further posts from you.

I thought $2500 included it all but tax. what's the $210 for

i think everyone else (including me) paid $2,500 + tax. The extra labor is potentially a mistake that service center made. The email from Tesla also stated a $2,500 package price.

From the Tesla email “Infotainment Upgrade for $2,500* plus applicable tax“