Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not mistake. It’s in the system automatically when the part numbers auto fill.
Labor is part of the $2500.
Guessing that's correct, same as every other upgrade you can buy.
Labor is included.

However i noticed that I had a button on the app called "upgrades", was thinking that they maybe started early in Norway/Europe with the infotainment upgrades:)

Eagerly pushed the button only to get the message that I have all eligible upgrades.
-No Tesla, I have not, I want the MCU2/hw3:D

The email told you to create an appointment, said nothing about an 'upgrade' in the app. Go read it again. :D

Edit: Text from the webpage:

Infotainment Upgrade

How do I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?
Owners will be notified when the Infotainment Upgrade is available for their car and can schedule an appointment for purchase and installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Price
The email told you to create an appointment, said nothing about an 'upgrade' in the app.

Only to create an appointment after notification. What the email didn't say was how Tesla would be notifying eligible owners. Since my configuration was first on the list for the upgrade, I decided to create my own appointment and see what happened. My appointment was cancelled and I was told that I would have to first wait for notification and then I could work on scheduling the work.

I am checking e-mail, my Tesla app Upgrade section, the Tesla app inbox and my Tesla account on their website just so I don't miss it.

Only to create an appointment after notification. What the email didn't say was how Tesla would be notifying eligible owners. Since my configuration was first on the list for the upgrade, I decided to create my own appointment and see what happened. My appointment was cancelled and I was told that I would have to first wait for notification and then I could work on scheduling the work. I am checking e-mail, my Tesla app Upgrade section, the Tesla app inbox and my Tesla account on their website just so I don't miss it.

AP2.5/MCU 1 people got the email when they were eligible, they are the first group, and could make appointments immediately. I would assume (lol) that others with later timeframes that you would get an update email. But I see your point. Who knows where MCU1/AP2.0 or foreign ones will be notified.

I can tell you it will most likely be an email. This is not an 'upgrade' in the app or on the webpage. I did what it said, make an appointment. All you need to know is when the process is ready for your configuration, and they seem to be using email.

Now, is that configuration even completed (available at all in any form) for other (AP2.0, etc.)? Who knows, with Fremont somewhat shut down.

What configuration DO you have? The first group was AP2.5/MCU 1 (like mine), if you are in that and got refused, that's extremely weird. All they told me was that they had to order the parts and it might move the appointment out if they didn't arrive, but they did.

AP2.5/MCU 1 people got the email when they were eligible, they are the first group, and could make appointments immediately. I would assume (lol) that others with later timeframes that you would get an update email. But I see your point. Who knows where MCU1/AP2.0 or foreign ones will be notified.

I can tell you it will most likely be an email. This is not an 'upgrade' in the app or on the webpage. I did what it said, make an appointment. All you need to know is when the process is ready for your configuration, and they seem to be using email.

Now, is that configuration even completed (available at all in any form) for other (AP2.0, etc.)? Who knows, with Fremont somewhat shut down.

What configuration DO you have? The first group was AP2.5/MCU 1 (like mine), if you are in that and got refused, that's extremely weird. All they told me was that they had to order the parts and it might move the appointment out if they didn't arrive, but they did.

I have AP2.5/MCU 1 and FSD pre-ordered. Maybe I should try again.

Only to create an appointment after notification. What the email didn't say was how Tesla would be notifying eligible owners. Since my configuration was first on the list for the upgrade, I decided to create my own appointment and see what happened. My appointment was cancelled and I was told that I would have to first wait for notification and then I could work on scheduling the work.

I am checking e-mail, my Tesla app Upgrade section, the Tesla app inbox and my Tesla account on their website just so I don't miss it.

I read the email in entirety when I first got it, March 2. I saw where you could request the infotainment upgrade instead of waiting for it. I did just that and two days later got a text from the SC saying that the upgrade was tied to your VIN and that they had not received the MCU for my VIN yet and as such, they had no other option but to cancel the upgrade. They also said I could wait for notification from them that the MCU had been received, or I could again request the upgrade myself at a later date. On March 15th, having not heard a peep, I decided to request the upgrade again. On March 16th I received a text that my appointment was scheduled for March 23. My car is at the SC having the upgrade at the time of this writing. Curiously, I was told that I was only going to get the MCU upgrade because they didn't have the HW3 upgrade upon arrival. I told them about my disappointment as I requested the HW3 upgrade along with the MCU upgrade in my initial service request on the app and that I didn't relish having to make two trips. My wife followed me to the SC and picked me up and on the drive home I texted them that depending on the time of notification by them that my car was ready for pick up, I may just not pick it up until the following day depending on traffic conditions at that time. They then texted me back with the following:

OK, we will keep that in mind. Also, I wanted to let you know that part of the MCU upgrade is to upgrade the Autopilot computer as well. So we WILL be installing the HW3 for you as well. Our apologies for the misinformation this morning.

I got an alert shortly after that from the Tesla app that charging had started on my car and I thought that was strange as I had dropped the car off with 40% soc. About an hour later I got a notice from the Tesla app that my software had been upgraded. I assume to V 2020.12 but cannot confirm that since when your car is in for service, connection to your car is disabled. Can't wait to get it back.

Last edited:
Tesla says yes, just not yet.
I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Otherwise the mcu1 ap1/no AP cars will be last to be offered the upgrade. They said maybe 6 months from now. (This was what I was told a week ago)

I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Otherwise the mcu1 ap1/no AP cars will be last to be offered the upgrade. They said maybe 6 months from now. (This was what I was told a week ago)

Interesting, other SCs have been telling people that there is no partial cost upgrade for an in-warranty MCU1. The warranty only covers replacing what is in the car. If you want MCU2 it costs the full $2,500.

Can you post a picture of the Tesla app with that "upgrade" button and which version of the app are you running.

Here are the pictures :)
Screenshot_20200323-204603_Tesla.jpg Screenshot_20200323-204030_Tesla.jpg Screenshot_20200323-204040_Tesla.jpg

Weird thing is, it doesn't show EAP, but just autopilot and FSD... o_O

And also, seems like a update is on the way:eek::rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313

It might be important to add that only AP2.5/MCU1 people with FSD are being upgraded now. I am AP2.5/MCU1 no FSD and was told I am not yet eligible.