Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please share make and model of your new EMMC? Thanks.
Can you do a video to show the increased speed?

If I can keep the MCU1 with increased speed, that would significantly reduce cost and allow me to keep my LH amp.

Makes sense that the bottleneck is the memory speed since people have previously stated the Tegra should be handing it without the hiccups that we all experience.
Sorry, I don't have a before-after video. Keep in mind my emmc was 5 years old on its last legs, so definitely slowed down from new. After the replacement the UI works noticeably faster, my subjective opinion is that it's faster than when it was new, but I have no objective data to prove it. Maybe if I find some time I can do some timing comparisons between the refreshed MCU1 and my wife's MCU2, but I make no promises, as I've been relatively busy with other things lately (I probably already spent too much time on TMC today ;)).

Last edited:
So, we have this issue with the upgrades.... Tesla Data Leak: Old Components With Personal Info Find Their Way On eBay

Can someone remind me what logins/passwords we used on MCU1? I can't think of anything except Spotify and I just changed that, and am about to update the cars.

Anything else I think was only on MCU2 (I know Netflix, etc., is new, of course). Is that correct? I hope most SC's did indeed reset the old MCUs...
Do they ever reset anything? Every service loaner I drove had all the previous GPS data from the prior drivers. One even had the original owner's registration in the glove compartment, and the vehicle's home GPS matched the registration address... I couldn't figure out how to remove my address from previously charged locations in service loaners (didn't bother to factory reset them).

Do they ever reset anything? Every service loaner I drove had all the previous GPS data from the prior drivers. One even had the original owner's registration in the glove compartment, and the vehicle's home GPS matched the registration address... I couldn't figure out how to remove my address from previously charged locations in service loaners (didn't bother to factory reset them).
Yeah, I’ve seen that also. I cleaned up one loaner I had; would have been a gold mine for a PI! :D

As for this process here, you would hope the step by step would at least include a reset after they had done the data copy operation for moving the data to the new unit (which did work perfectly). Smh, for sure.

Last edited:
You can do that by going to navigation history and swipe to the right to get rid of the entries you want to delete.

The used leaf we recently purchased from a Nissan dealer was full of PI too... home address, map destinations, phone call history.

The good news is we were able to get the wheel locks from the person that traded it in. She was very nice and helpful. We did a full wipe before we started using it.

You can do that by going to navigation history and swipe to the right to get rid of the entries you want to delete.
That works for navigation locations, but I wasn't able to get it working for previous charging locations. I asked the service advisor, who brought out two technicians, and they weren't able to figure it out either (I think this was around the time V9 was released).

After reading much of this thread (and others), I've seemed to draw the following conclusions:
- A new MCU1 unit (meaning, MCU1 on a car with very low miles) performs relatively fine/smooth/lag free
- After many miles and much use, MCU1 slows down considerably
-Many are comparing speed of old, near failing MCU1's to brand new MCU2's.
-After several years and many, many miles, one can expect MCU2's to not perform as fast/nimble/agile as when that same MCU2 was new.

or am I way off base?

After reading much of this thread (and others), I've seemed to draw the following conclusions:
- A new MCU1 unit (meaning, MCU1 on a car with very low miles) performs relatively fine/smooth/lag free
-After several years and many, many miles, one can expect MCU2's to not perform as fast/nimble/agile as when that same MCU2 was new.

or am I way off base?
Hmmm, not the case with my car. I'm not following how mileage would have anything to do with MCU1 slowing down over time. Help me understand that one. ;)

Hmmm, not the case with my car. I'm not following how mileage would have anything to do with MCU1 slowing down over time. Help me understand that one. ;)
If someone streams a lot of audio, I would assume they would be putting on a lot of miles. However, it could be possible to stream a lot and never actually go very far. The more streaming, the more writes to memory and the faster the degradation of the eMMC...which causes the MCU to slow down.

Reactions: Silicon Desert

or am I way off base?

The processor in the mcu2 is much better than mcu1. You won't see much of performance decrease for what the car does now. Of course it depends how much more they ask it to do in the future.

Reactions: 2101Guy
They can trash my MCU1 after they properly wipe my personal information from the data or encryption that adequately protects it.

My car is in for MCU1 replacement today. I asked for the old one to protect my data and this is the current response:

"Hello, in regards to the old media control units we actually send those back to engineering. Please note your data and information should be carried over to your new media control unit, if possible. If we are not able to recover your information it is erased and not needed by engineering. This is due to the fact that it is an electrical component and so that they can investigate possible causes as to why it crashed."

obviously they are not erasing them. I am hoping to pick up my car tomorrow and hoping to fight to get my hardware back - just like I would always get my old brake rotors put in the back of a car when the brakes were replaced (my old man always did that). I haven't gone through the warranty thoroughly enough to know if I can make a better case to get my old computer back. Certainly if I was paying out of pocket I would demand it but since this is a warranty repair, I'm not sure I will get anywhere.