Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the invoice for the work on my car and was charged $250 less than I anticipated. I promptly got a call saying I was charged for an MCU upgrade without a new screen, even though I received a new screen. So I was refunded and then charged again. It all happened on the app, so I don't have a copy of the old service invoice. But I think you are right and you shouldn't be paying the full amount if you aren't getting a new screen.
This would be pretty sweet to get the upgrade for $2250 if we get to keep our old screen.
I'm surprised that the invoice without display shows a discount. Has no bearing on owner's car if they reuse his screen or not. He wasn't getting it back anyway. Its warranted the same whether they re-use his or not. Or is it? Maybe his actual touchscreen won't have the same 4 year warranty the rest of the MCU will have.

So a discount on the upgrade of $250 since Tesla re-used the owner's screen. Hmm, I wonder if that screen fails before the rest of the MCU fails and has to be replaced, if the cost to replace including labor will be only $250? Hmm. I'd be finding out before I proceeded.

Incidentally, I just heard today there's a shortage of screens.
I already had the UV curing done to my screen, so I'd love a $250 discount to keep it! I texted the service center asking if there's a discount.

This would be pretty sweet to get the upgrade for $2250 if we get to keep our old screen.

I already had the UV curing done to my screen, so I'd love a $250 discount to keep it! I texted the service center asking if there's a discount.

Yes, a $250 discount is nice. But how is it good that you are keeping your old screen? Can you jump ahead 3 years. And the screen you kept, re-used is bubbling or yellowing. Will they replace it for the same $250 including labor that they save you today? Its okay with me if they use your old screen. But I would make sure in writing my warranty covers re-using that screen like it was brand new. That's my point.

Did the IC get replaced? This is what people are worrying about? I fail to understand what difference it makes if we don't fully know if the IC is replaced or not. I am confident that a new IC that's compatible with MCU2 is installed. But back to my first. I can tell because I recognize the difference. But most won't until they see it. So, what difference does it make, as long as it works? Owners are not signing up for a MCU2 Upgrade where the Infotainment page clearly states that it also includes a new IC2.

Primarily concerned as to whether the SC has the proper parts on hand when I drop it off, given the uncertainty surrounding this specific upgrade (mine is the estimate with multiple misspellings). Not that anyone around here has ever run into missing/incorrect parts with this upgrade ;-) ....

Primarily concerned as to whether the SC has the proper parts on hand when I drop it off, given the uncertainty surrounding this specific upgrade (mine is the estimate with multiple misspellings). Not that anyone around here has ever run into missing/incorrect parts with this upgrade ;-) ....
I understand. But not your problem to worry about. I say, get a loaner and leave. Tell them to call you when its done and done right. Got loaner? Let them take 2-3 days or a week.

just sharing my experience with tesla service since past week. I've a 2017 MX 75D AP2.0 EAP enabled.

Earlier this Monday I received a message saying the parts of MCU2 upgrade were available. Today received another message saying the touchscreen was not part of the received parts at SC so they need to order again. I asked them about FSD upgrade as I wanted to make sure they had parts ready before I went and bought it. They claimed they were now scheduling those too for AP2 cars. So I bought it. Just now received an email

Code:
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-A

Now I'm not sure if thats the right parts for my car. Also is it the FSD parts or MCU2 parts? The email does say that parts already available at the SC won't be listed on the email. Can you someone please confirm?

PS: I can't imagine the most valuable car company in the world can get their business done so haphazardly and yet be loved so much. Shows their s/w and h/w has truly clicked with the audience alike!

Reactions: captjoemcd
Yes, a $250 discount is nice. But how is it good that you are keeping your old screen? Can you jump ahead 3 years. And the screen you kept, re-used is bubbling or yellowing. Will they replace it for the same $250 including labor that they save you today? Its okay with me if they use your old screen. But I would make sure in writing my warranty covers re-using that screen like it was brand new. That's my point.
It's a 12/2016 build, so the bubbling shouldn't be an issue. Plus I've already had the MCU replaced, and the screen replaced after that, and then that latest screen UV cured. Plus I have the 4 year 50k mile extended warranty, so it would only be $200 deductible even if it does require replacing down the road.

So it looks like my service centers biohazard unit was out to lunch yesterday. Drove home heard some rattling in the back. Pulling apart those dashes must be hard work and dangerous.:D. If anyone wants them shoot me a PM.

Edit. They are spoken for
MVIMG_20200620_093723.jpg

MVIMG_20200620_093449.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I do recall seeing service now has a way to read the estimated write and wear remaining on the emmc. Now the debate. Do I get the 6 yr xcare warranty for 5k. Or mcu2 for $2500

If you take the warranty route, you do have to pay a deductible and if the MCU1 goes out (which it will), you will just get another MCU1 (at least based on current practice). If you go the MCU2 route, you get a 4 year warranty on that subsystem and if anything goes wrong would get a new MCU2 for free / will get the advantages of the MCU2 now. Plus if you sell the car, that could be a reason to get a higher asking price if the buyer knows it is the latest unit vs one that could go bad anytime with a high out of pocket cost.

I usually buy extended warranties but given the cost and the deductible, and the fact this is one of the main systems that would fail, I did the upgrade and will bank the added money for future fixes that I can't do myself...

If you take the warranty route, you do have to pay a deductible and if the MCU1 goes out (which it will), you will just get another MCU1 (at least based on current practice). If you go the MCU2 route, you get a 4 year warranty on that subsystem and if anything goes wrong would get a new MCU2 for free / will get the advantages of the MCU2 now. Plus if you sell the car, that could be a reason to get a higher asking price if the buyer knows it is the latest unit vs one that could go bad anytime with a high out of pocket cost.

I usually buy extended warranties but given the cost and the deductible, and the fact this is one of the main systems that would fail, I did the upgrade and will bank the added money for future fixes that I can't do myself...

Deductible with xcare is only $100. And The plan includes towing and roadside which is nice. I put in my service request my mcu mcu died and had a black screen yesterday. Took a pic. Today its working

Reactions: FMinMI
My car is barely under warranty. 49k miles. I had a decision to make, pay the eventual $2500 for mcu2 or get an xcare warranty for 4600, covers me an extra 5 years and 60k miles. I opted for the xcare as I get a sense owning this car without any protection would get pricey (AC, on board charger, door handles)
Why did you go with xcare instead of the Tesla extended warranty?