Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I know this functionality. However even with that it’s still annoying to have both sounds coming on top of each other. I prefer the MCU1 functionality with the music audio fading in the front driver side speakers when navigation voice is on. Is this a bug or did Tesla change that in MCU2?

I played around with the 2020 MX on the showroom floor, and audio didn't fade during navigation anouncements. its more of an issue when you listen to the stereo at higher volume. So, looks like it is MCU2 thing across the board.

Reactions: T3SLA90D
As an update to this post, I got a chance to drive around a bit in different lighting last night and the camera being darker was quite noticeable (I'm one of those weirdos that keeps the rear camera up all the time :D ).
Just to say that my MX camera is also noticeably darker at night (I'd say unusable), and so is the camera on my neighbor's MX after upgrade to MCU2, so it seems like most everyone has that problem whom upgraded by reviewing the posts here.

And maybe just my imagination, but after 3 years of using that camera on the screen almost all the time, it seems to be sharper and clearer in day time. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
If you have MCU1 (without FSD/autopilot) and need it repaired, don't waste your money on MCU2. Yeah, it sucks, $1300 to fix an older unit or "$2500" for a shiny new MCU2. Save the $ and buy a share of TSLA stock instead. MCU2 on non autopilot cars is a waste - unless you REALLY REALLY need Netflix and games. Netflix BTW, in portrait mode is awful. I feel like I was fleeced! Huge mistake.

If you have MCU1 (without FSD/autopilot) and need it repaired, don't waste your money on MCU2. Yeah, it sucks, $1300 to fix an older unit or "$2500" for a shiny new MCU2. Save the $ and buy a share of TSLA stock instead. MCU2 on non autopilot cars is a waste - unless you REALLY REALLY need Netflix and games. Netflix BTW, in portrait mode is awful. I feel like I was fleeced! Huge mistake.
Isn’t the responsive control and the maps worth something? I went from a MCU1 AP2.0 to MCU2 AP3 and thought it was worth it. Slick interface, sentry mode, side cam in reverse, working browser, drive visualization etc... I supposed if you don’t have AP at all then it may be different, but boy did the screen feel good.
The downside is that the reverse cam is now very dark at night.

Isn’t the responsive control and the maps worth something? I went from a MCU1 AP2.0 to MCU2 AP3 and thought it was worth it. Slick interface, sentry mode, side cam in reverse, working browser, drive visualization etc... I supposed if you don’t have AP at all then it may be different, but boy did the screen feel good.

It is worth it. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to try scrolling through things in spotify and the lagginess if the screen resulting in it thinking you selected something. Or the screen crashing in the middle of a podcast. Or navigation talking a full minute to put together a route

It is worth it. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to try scrolling through things in spotify and the lagginess if the screen resulting in it thinking you selected something. Or the screen crashing in the middle of a podcast. Or navigation talking a full minute to put together a route

Minute? We timed it for our last 700 mile one way road trip and it took 5m22s to calc the route with supercharging. Also it chose bad charging stops so I had to break it up myself since they don't have waypoints yet... Still each chunk then took over a minute.
Mcu2 takes seconds.

Yeah, as I mentioned, if you have AP, then totally worth it. For me, no side cam, no drive visualizations, no dashcam, no sentry mode. Just a faster UI. But not "crazy" fast. I never had crashes with MCU1 like some others mentioned - I will admit to route planning being a little slow, but again, not unacceptably slow. I haven't tried autoreroute in heavy traffic yet, _THAT_ might make me adjust my thoughts a little.

Minute? We timed it for our last 700 mile one way road trip and it took 5m22s to calc the route with supercharging. Also it chose bad charging stops so I had to break it up myself since they don't have waypoints yet... Still each chunk then took over a minute.
Mcu2 takes seconds.

That's interesting.
5 min or more was indeed what I got in the last years, hence I would always be careful to not ask another route on our way, knowing it would make me miss the next exit. :rolleyes:
BUT, since earlier this year (I don't know when, I don't test after each update ;)), I noticed I can now plan a 700 miles + (1000km+) route and it takes about 20 seconds max. :cool:

I just tried a route to Rome (Italy) from here :
  • 1500km = 900 miles
  • In 17 seconds, route is planned and navigation starts on the IC.
  • It took another 17 seconds to adjust and display all the correct SuC arrival times and charge levels at destination.

I'm happy with that :)

Yeah, as I mentioned, if you have AP, then totally worth it. For me, no side cam, no drive visualizations, no dashcam, no sentry mode. Just a faster UI. But not "crazy" fast. I never had crashes with MCU1 like some others mentioned - I will admit to route planning being a little slow, but again, not unacceptably slow. I haven't tried autoreroute in heavy traffic yet, _THAT_ might make me adjust my thoughts a little.
Having AP1, and having a quite stable MCU1 for my use, I'd say it matters more for AP2.x cars.
AP1 and MCU1 get along just fine in my car anyway.

That's interesting.
5 min or more was indeed what I got in the last years, hence I would always be careful to not ask another route on our way, knowing it would make me miss the next exit. :rolleyes:
BUT, since earlier this year (I don't know when, I don't test after each update ;)), I noticed I can now plan a 700 miles + (1000km+) route and it takes about 20 seconds max. :cool:

I just tried a route to Rome (Italy) from here :
  • 1500km = 900 miles
  • In 17 seconds, route is planned and navigation starts on the IC.
  • It took another 17 seconds to adjust and display all the correct SuC arrival times and charge levels at destination.

I'm happy with that :)

My MCU1 died earlier this year and due to the pandemic I never took a road trip with my new replacement mcu1. The MCU2 I got is lightning fast and the latest update seems have made it even more stable and responsive.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Just got my AP0 (early 2013) MS upgraded to MCU2 yesterday. This was the 3rd time they tried to fix it since June when my MCU was diagnosed as needing replacement. 2 times they tried to install a refurbished MCU1, but each time I confirmed with the tech that it was MCU2 before they started work, he re-read the purchase order and realized they brought the wrong one. Always check with what they are doing prior to them doing the work! I had a bunch of Tesla credit that needs to be used up before it expires soon, so it was basically free for me. If I didn't have that, I probably would only have got a refurbished MCU1. That being said, I am quite please with the results. They even replaced my steering wheel speedo screen, which i didn't expect. I already had the LTE data upgrade a couple of years ago, which was a huge difference in speed vs the older 3G board. Now I can see another significant speed increase. Music/maps/browser are now super snappy. Overall I am quite pleased with it.

Just got my AP0 (early 2013) MS upgraded to MCU2 yesterday. This was the 3rd time they tried to fix it since June when my MCU was diagnosed as needing replacement. 2 times they tried to install a refurbished MCU1, but each time I confirmed with the tech that it was MCU2 before they started work, he re-read the purchase order and realized they brought the wrong one. Always check with what they are doing prior to them doing the work! I had a bunch of Tesla credit that needs to be used up before it expires soon, so it was basically free for me. If I didn't have that, I probably would only have got a refurbished MCU1. That being said, I am quite please with the results. They even replaced my steering wheel speedo screen, which i didn't expect. I already had the LTE data upgrade a couple of years ago, which was a huge difference in speed vs the older 3G board. Now I can see another significant speed increase. Music/maps/browser are now super snappy. Overall I am quite pleased with it.

If u dont mind, can i ask How do ppl get credit with Tesla?

If u dont mind, can i ask How do ppl get credit with Tesla?
In the referral program a couple of years ago I won a powerwall. They never delivered so about 6 months ago they offered me a credit for it's value plus installation. I took it rather than wait, as my house isn't really ideal for solar and we don't have offset power rates where I live.

Had my nov. 2016 X90D done by a ranger last Friday and as many have said it's like having a new car.

A ranger updated your MCU2? That's surprising. I just had mine done and it took a full week in the shop.

I'd also advise people to not change their screen if their current one is fine. The new one looks to be a bit "punchier" than the old one with slightly more contrast, but it also looks to be aligned slightly crooked (i.e. top of screen too far up, top right of screen too far left). I looked at a few other cars and they were also slightly crooked in the same way - has anybody noticed that? Maybe the old one was like that too and I am just noticing it now.