Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having the new MCU2 for a day, a few things

1. LTE signal is so much better than MCU1. I had LTE on MCU1 but signal sucks. I get better signal bars but more importantly less disconnects and buffering.

2. 5ghz WiFi is a plus. I have an Orbi in the garage and it is good making use of it.

3. Very smooth transition on the graphic map and screen

4. As mentioned by others no fm/am

5. launching of Netflix is slow.

6. Bluetooth connects faster

I have tried the browser.

Reactions: vraev
Just purchased my Dec 16 P100D CPO 6th of Aug and have several at delivery issues to have looked at scheduled for next week.

Seat belt on backward, replace one tail assembly, and pillar camera preventing Calibration completion.

I'm fairly certain (although I'm new to these things) the AP2.0 system was HW2-> HW3 and FSD software upgraded before it was sold as it has some repairs down while listed and changed in thrasedness and price (increase) the weekend before I pulled the trigger.

So while it's scheduled for these services the Decatur SC is going to attempt to get parts for MCU1-> MCU2. Not sure what luck they'll have or if my favor will transfer over to the MS. I'll be sure to report back but they'll have the car for 10 days so they hopefully could swing all the things. Hoping for a new(er) ride when I get it back.

So with AP2.0 and HW3 FSD computer upgrade on MCU1, I have teslacam dash and sentry recording to my SSD, no playback in car, FM super laggy browser, Prem sound, and been able to engage autopilot.

I truly believe something went done expertly on the FSD computer upgrade maybe, just the seatbelt buckle being on backward as an indicator of lack of attention to detail. And autopilot calibration doing the 95-98% tango for the few hundred miles and clear calibrations later.

Just a data point and will report back if I get rheected for parts of something as others have reported with AP2.0/HW3 trying to infotainment upgrade. Btw I had intended to schedule both right at delivery but the delivery issues had a 60 window so I scheduled those immediately and have been racking on the service as I find them. While waiting for my appointment I began checking a few more things and found that Teslacam recording was indicative of the HW3 UPGRADE, but my about still showed tegra and I have FM.

So that's what I based my thought process on. Any feedback?

I'm a redneck. I am proud of it. Or has we say in North Alabama, 'M proud of hit. And I've lived in May-retta and Smyrna. Lived off SoCoDri for years. But I think we need maybe a Yankee translator, 'cause I don't understand "...changed in thrasedness", "...something went done expertly" "...if I get rheected for parts" "... had a 60 window" and "... but my about still showed" mean. Changed the meaning so much, could not read 'tween the lines.

Don't get mad, Cuz. Half of what I write here is just for funnin' Just having a wee bit of fun with ya. Don't mean anything. Welcome to the forum. There's an Edit and Delete button but only for the first 59 minutes of your post. Then - gone. :)

Last edited:
Just purchased my Dec 16 P100D CPO 6th of Aug and have several at delivery issues to have looked at scheduled for next week.

Seat belt on backward, replace one tail assembly, and pillar camera preventing Calibration completion.

I'm fairly certain (although I'm new to these things) the AP2.0 system was HW2-> HW3 and FSD software upgraded before it was sold as it has some repairs down while listed and changed in thrasedness and price (increase) the weekend before I pulled the trigger.

So while it's scheduled for these services the Decatur SC is going to attempt to get parts for MCU1-> MCU2. Not sure what luck they'll have or if my favor will transfer over to the MS. I'll be sure to report back but they'll have the car for 10 days so they hopefully could swing all the things. Hoping for a new(er) ride when I get it back.

So with AP2.0 and HW3 FSD computer upgrade on MCU1, I have teslacam dash and sentry recording to my SSD, no playback in car, FM super laggy browser, Prem sound, and been able to engage autopilot.

I truly believe something went done expertly on the FSD computer upgrade maybe, just the seatbelt buckle being on backward as an indicator of lack of attention to detail. And autopilot calibration doing the 95-98% tango for the few hundred miles and clear calibrations later.

Just a data point and will report back if I get rheected for parts of something as others have reported with AP2.0/HW3 trying to infotainment upgrade. Btw I had intended to schedule both right at delivery but the delivery issues had a 60 window so I scheduled those immediately and have been racking on the service as I find them. While waiting for my appointment I began checking a few more things and found that Teslacam recording was indicative of the HW3 UPGRADE, but my about still showed tegra and I have FM.

So that's what I based my thought process on. Any feedback?

The seat belt on backward is a 10 second fix. Common to get them mixed up on many cars. You need to slide it all the way down, pinch the belt, and flip the buckle. Not the best instructions but I'm sure you don't need to take it to Tesla for that.

hi all since we are at page 305 of this thread. Some one I am sure has probably recounted their experience with the upgrade. here is mine ( I just had it done ( took 3 days). in all I was a fine experience at the Tyson VA SC. I have a April build MS 2017 90D with FSD and was AP2, MCU1. when they turned it back to me they warned me " some settings were erased". actually it was everything the MCU holds. it took me about a half an hour sitting in the parking lot to put them all back in ( I had to wait till I got home on the 802.1-g wifi and my door opener) , the cameras were still calibration to but were at 91% when I got it back to home, by the next day they were all caught up . Im still waiting for the rest of the MAPS update over wifi to get the "Stopping at traffic lights" to not be greyed out . some early impressions :

for me this is wicked fast!. I can see rendering and decisions are much faster with HDW3 things generally seem smoother ( but that could have been since I was driving my wife's truck for 3 days) . the traffic lights, stop signs, trash bins and arrows and HOV diamonds tracking on the ground is a nice touch. it took me a little while to find the pull down for side camera view in back up but that is nice I leave it on when ever I back into a spot. even though I can and it can see the lights at noted as red ahead
in AP it still comes up on the light fast and then give you the red light warning ( "red hands") if you don't slow down your self . I am hoping that disappears when the maps update and I can turn on stop at lights. just wanted you to know those two are very connected ( and please nobody run into anything on side street AP- it makes us all look bad :) ).

I did miss the FM radio at first but I found all my radio stations I listen to in tune in so I used that to get to them. LTE for me is about the same - no lag

I have an actual working browser now!!!. I gave up on that a while ago and forgot I even had it. the System down loaded the games I had not had available to me on MCU 1 by that evening.

I must say at 3 year years, it feels and operates like a new car!. now if the battery will stay good.....
Very strange your settings were not copied! Tysons did mine months ago (one of the first? the first? in March and everything possible was copied. No idea why this is so variable even in the same SC (unless new people that aren't following the process, of course). Glad you got it all done!

Has anyone been contacted by Tesla to do the upgrade after selecting the Infotainment Upgrade option in the service section of the Tesla app? I'm wondering if it would be faster to schedule an appointment and see what their response is when they process it prior to the scheduled date.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Got my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade done on my 2015 AP1.0 Model S last week. Since the rear camera conversation was already underway before my appointment I decided I'd get some comparison shots so I went out at night and took a couple pictures of the rear camera display in my garage (don't judge the mess!) while I still had MCU1 and then took the same pictures on the new MCU2 installation. Picture is labeled but they're shots of the camera with just the ambient light in the garage which was fairly dark but light enough for me to not trip over something, then with the brake depressed for brake lights, and then with the reverse lights on as well. The headlights were set to "off" though there was still some forward facing light...
CameraComp_snip.PNG

As you can see, in no/low light the image is pretty useless, but if there is some brake or reverse light emitted then the image is about as usable as it was before. So biggest deal is you can't creep on anything behind you with the car in park but you'll still be ok if you need to back out of a space/driveway/escape route.

With MCU1, when navigation voice came on, it used to mute the other audio (such as music playing) from the front speakers so that navigation voice is clear. After upgrading to MCU2, this doesn’t not happen. Both sounds are mixed in the front speakers and therefore navigation voice is not clear. Anyone else noticed this issue?
Do you know that you can increase the volume of the navigation by turning up the scroll wheel during an announcement? Or go into the menu to increase nav volume. It probably defaulted to average volume or you accidentally changed it without knowing.

I also am extremely disappointed in the audio after the upgrade to MCU2 so much I want my MCU1 back! I also have been spending the last 2 weeks trying to dial it in. (Music now hurts my ears with settings I have used in every stereo I have had in the last 30 years) I will read your post and DM you if I need further help.

After my MUC2 upgrade I immediately noticed a substantial decrease in volume and loss of upper frequency response when getting in the car for the first time. Oh wait, my hearing aid batteries are dead. All fine now. :D
Sure, that isn't your problem. Just saying I noticed no change in my 2017X, so I'll be interested in knowing what you find out.

I'm a redneck. I am proud of it. Or has we say in North Alabama, 'M proud of hit. And I've lived in May-retta and Smyrna. Lived off SoCoDri for years. But I think we need maybe a Yankee translator,
A redneck Hawaiian? What? I guess that is not so unusual. I am a West coast hillbilly from Tennessee. Siri can't understand my accent. That's because most southern words are spoken as 2 syllables even when it is only one. You know.... "Po----lice" and "Ve---hickle" :D Geee, when I first moved to California I thought I was going to need a "green card". Find a good translator and let me know. :cool: Oh, stop laughing and get back to work and back on topic. :)

Do you know that you can increase the volume of the navigation by turning up the scroll wheel during an announcement? Or go into the menu to increase nav volume. It probably defaulted to average volume or you accidentally changed it without knowing.
Yes I know this functionality. However even with that it’s still annoying to have both sounds coming on top of each other. I prefer the MCU1 functionality with the music audio fading in the front driver side speakers when navigation voice is on. Is this a bug or did Tesla change that in MCU2?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Got my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade done on my 2015 AP1.0 Model S last week. Since the rear camera conversation was already underway before my appointment I decided I'd get some comparison shots so I went out at night and took a couple pictures of the rear camera display in my garage (don't judge the mess!) while I still had MCU1 and then took the same pictures on the new MCU2 installation. Picture is labeled but they're shots of the camera with just the ambient light in the garage which was fairly dark but light enough for me to not trip over something, then with the brake depressed for brake lights, and then with the reverse lights on as well. The headlights were set to "off" though there was still some forward facing light...
View attachment 577461

As you can see, in no/low light the image is pretty useless, but if there is some brake or reverse light emitted then the image is about as usable as it was before. So biggest deal is you can't creep on anything behind you with the car in park but you'll still be ok if you need to back out of a space/driveway/escape route.

Does this happen only on MCU2 upgraded vehicles or does this also happen on 2020 Model S/X?

After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 I’m excited about the dashcam and sentry mode. My front camera seems somewhat hazy. Is that how it should be? It’s is clearer outside in daylight but still looks less clear than the repeater cams. The windshield is clean. Thanks.
So today with the sun shining at a certain angle on the windshield I saw condensations on the inner side of the glass. I guess that explains the issue. Seems like a poorly insulated camera unit design. Or it could have happened when Tesla calibrated my cameras a year or 2 ago.

Attachments

• 6F061D9A-3BB4-4EC2-A2A3-559314E20A24.jpeg
    6F061D9A-3BB4-4EC2-A2A3-559314E20A24.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 63
A redneck Hawaiian? What? I guess that is not so unusual. I am a West coast hillbilly from Tennessee. Siri can't understand my accent. That's because most southern words are spoken as 2 syllables even when it is only one. You know.... "Po----lice" and "Ve---hickle" :D Geee, when I first moved to California I thought I was going to need a "green card". Find a good translator and let me know. :cool: Oh, stop laughing and get back to work and back on topic. :)

Hey Cuz, I understand everythin' you say'd. I was just telling my levben year old nephew who is also my sister-in-law and my cousin that I found a distant relative in L.A. (Lower Alabama). When I was growing up, I ditn't even know beer was supposed to be drunk cold til I visited Tenn-c. We lived so far in the sticks, we didn't have running wawa, it was tired and walked.

Does this happen only on MCU2 upgraded vehicles or does this also happen on 2020 Model S/X?

I'm afraid I do not have any 2020 Model S/X data. Does anyone know if the rear camera changed model numbers throughout the years or have they always used the same camera? I feel like post-refresh had a different rear camera, but with similar quality/output to the MCU. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Some thing else I noticed now that my upgrade is all in ( which is great BTW). the Car picture in the IC is " different" than before it looks like sky is glinting off the car in stead of just the car picture ( black roof). nicer rendering perhaps ? My picture is a red MS so you picture will be different . also update my maps all loaded in a day after the upgrade ( thankyou 802.11G wifi) and I have the stopping at traffic lights working. I I have the 2017 pseudo color side cams and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the rendering tracking on the sides. Iwond with the full re-write coming if I should swap those cameras out

@Silicon Desert desert, @Topgun66 is correct, don't make fun of the situation. I have a 2017 with MCU1 and regular standard sound system. For 2 years with MCU1 all 5 speakers worked perfectly fine and I listened to everything at 4 or 5 volume. As soon as they did the MCU2 upgrade, driving home I noticed the volume was very low, but it was still set on 5. I had to crank it up to 7 or 8 to equal what used to be 4 or 5. So half the volume is gone. Then after trying to dial in the EQ and Balance, I found out the reason. The 2 rear door speakers are the culprits. They are very soft (1/2 volume) and have ABSOLUTELY NO BASS even if the EQ is set to 8 on bass. The front 3 speakers thump with bass and the rear 2 door speakers nothing. So obviously there is either a hardware or software bug in the upgrade for some people, and obviously the speakers are wired because you do get some shitty 1/2 volume no bass sound out of them. They are the same speakers in the front doors so should sound the same when you put the balance to the back, but they don't. So I have an appointment in a few weeks (since Tesla is so fast and caring about problems and taking care of them right away, lol) for them to try and figure it out. My guess is they don't know what is going on, or it wouldn't be happening to many forum members. It is 100% real and makes the before decent sound system into the worst car audio I have ever heard in my life, and I've owned a lot of cars. And like Topgun66, if they can't fix it, I want my old MCU1 back. I would much rather have a working sound system than a working browser, Netflix, and a few games. I certainly didn't pay $2500 to lose my AM/FM radio AND 2 rear speakers. I knew about the first part, but the second part was not part of the deal!