Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled my MCU upgrade today. Still under warranty but my IC developed a huge bubble around the top and sides. Currently scheduled for the 30th. We'll see if that date slips or not. Original estimate said 30-60 days for parts. Maybe the defective IC gets a priority bump who knows.

I don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t have to install the upgraded touchscreen for free under warranty. It seems like a warranty issue if the browser no longer works. I drove about 16 hours this last weekend and could really have used a working browser. It was a functional feature when I bought the car. Has anyone had this done under warranty?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may agree with you... Tesla is now under investigation for the MCU fiasco.

NHTSA launches probe into Tesla touchscreen failures – TechCrunch

NHTSA Investigating Tesla Model S Infotainment Screen Problems

Tesla is under investigation by NHTSA for its MCU-touchscreen eMMC failure - Electrek

Tesla’s Defective Touchscreen Units - California Consumer Attorneys, P.C.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
Scheduled my MCU upgrade today. Still under warranty but my IC developed a huge bubble around the top and sides. Currently scheduled for the 30th. We'll see if that date slips or not. Original estimate said 30-60 days for parts. Maybe the defective IC gets a priority bump who knows.
Seriously, the 30th? Won't everybody be busy delivering vehicles?

• Funny
Reactions: krsgio
Since when? A NHTSA investigation is a very specific state of affairs. Can you point to anything at the NHTSA that says Tesla is under investigation? Such allegations have always been false when I've looked. They were actually busy gathering evidence and allegations and when they had enough they would then decide whether to open an investigation. Has that changed?

Since when? A NHTSA investigation is a very specific state of affairs. Can you point to anything at the NHTSA that says Tesla is under investigation? Such allegations have always been false when I've looked. They were actually busy gathering evidence and allegations and when they had enough they would then decide whether to open an investigation. Has that changed?

This is the one case where it is true and they have actually opened a PE, preliminary engineering, investigation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-PE20010-4553.PDF and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INIM-PE20010-79232.pdf

To date they haven't opened an investigation into the BMS/batteries or SUA, those are currently just Defect Petitions that they haven't decided if they are going to grant or deny them yet.

This is the one case where it is true and they have actually opened a PE, preliminary engineering, investigation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-PE20010-4553.PDF and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INIM-PE20010-79232.pdf

To date they haven't opened an investigation into the BMS/batteries or SUA, those are currently just Defect Petitions that they haven't decided if they are going to grant or deny them yet.
Hmm. I'm seeing this called a "preliminary evaluation", which is the first step in an investigation (at least according to https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/cooper.pdf). So this is the furthest I've seen anything go. I suppose it will be a few months before we learn whether they are going to take this to the next step.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well I just had the charger port upgraded on my S85 Dec 2014 so that I can use V3 chargers and now the MCU will not update. 4 times they have sent the update to my car and 4 times it hangs at 80%.

No satnav on steering wheel screen or 3G and heating is all messed up. Had to hard boot several times to get the car to be useable.

I'm really hoping the MCU1 has not given up the ghost as £2k + is going to hurt a lot. Isn't it £500 just for the memory chip to be upgraded? Not sure having a faster MCU 2 for an older AP1 car is worth the upgrade although 4G would be nice

It's £312

I don’t understand why Tesla wouldn’t have to install the upgraded touchscreen for free under warranty. It seems like a warranty issue if the browser no longer works. I drove about 16 hours this last weekend and could really have used a working browser. It was a functional feature when I bought the car. Has anyone had this done under warranty?

It's not "the touch screen", it's the processor behind it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gt1948
Apple or BMW would never do an upgrade like this. Impressive Tesla does.
Actually, BMW offered a nav/audio system update as far back as on the e39 BMWs that included new hardware as well as software.
Actually BMW never offered any upgrades on our E60 or E90 and there weren't any third party upgrades that could be reasonably retrofitted either.

I think @Cheburashka's comment was that generally, BMW has offered factory hardware and software upgrades for their entertainment/GPS/console systems in the past.. not that every BMW car/every BMW line has had factory upgrades made available.

You said "BMW would never do an upgrade like this" -- when in fact, they have (and I've also done them on my E39 M5).

Reactions: 2101Guy
4. Mine did too, eventually they downloaded. Maybe try turning the car off (what and then restarting it? Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. It took a few days. The games are a bit of a bummer for me. I was sure I'd play them a lot more than I do and they are definitely cool. I guess I need to spend more time in the car.
If you really want to test the games, use any (almost any) USB controller. I got a $15 generic Xbox one off of Amazon and it was fun to play with them. I don't 'game' enough to even make it a thing to use it a lot, but anyone with kids or that road trips a lot would definitely make use of having one in the car while charging or waiting for someone, etc.

I had my Infotainment Upgrade completed today on a car that had previously been upgraded to HW3 about a month ago. Although, I had asked service to be sure to remove the protective film from the ICU display, I am believing that they did not.

On the positive side, I am blown away by how much faster MCU2 is, especially the media player! MCU1 had reached the point where it was so frustrating to try to use that I sometimes avoided even trying to listen to something. It is entirely possible that that may be at least partially due to early signs of MCU failure, as I had numerous problems.

Like others have said, this is almost like getting a new car! I did not notice any change in the quality of the sound of my premium sound system beyond the possibility of slightly more bass.

I had my Infotainment Upgrade completed today on a car that had previously been upgraded to HW3 about a month ago. Although, I had asked service to be sure to remove the protective film from the ICU display, I am believing that they did not.

On the positive side, I am blown away by how much faster MCU2 is, especially the media player! MCU1 had reached the point where it was so frustrating to try to use that I sometimes avoided even trying to listen to something. It is entirely possible that that may be at least partially due to early signs of MCU failure, as I had numerous problems.

Like others have said, this is almost like getting a new car! I did not notice any change in the quality of the sound of my premium sound system beyond the possibility of slightly more bass.

Thought they said you couldnt mcu1 hw3 to mcu2 yet

I had my Infotainment Upgrade completed today...Like others have said, this is almost like getting a new car! I did not notice any change in the quality of the sound of my premium sound system beyond the possibility of slightly more bass.

Oh, you will... You will.
Just give it a few days for the excitement to wear off. You'll be cruising along the highway, all excited that it took less than 5 seconds for MCU2 to plot your course on the NAV ( it doesn't matter that it's the same course you take every day to work, you should know how to get there by now without the computer assist. )
Your favorite tune will come on and you'll turn the volume up with excitement of a "new car" feeling.
Somehow the tunes aren't stimulating your auditory nerves the right way. Did you get enough sleep you wonder?
[You dial it up a few more notches. ]
Still something is not quite right.
Maybe the coffee you drank that morning was decaf? Nah, that wasn't it.
[ A few more notches of volume.]
Before you realize it, you're at 11.
Still, no joy.

Sadly, audio quality took a MAJOR hit in favor of something? Speed? And in a few years, when MCU2 slows down because of all the bloatware or emmc failure that wasn't redesigned right, we'll be in the same boat. Maybe they'll fix the audio as a consolation to us suckers who are still around needing to upgrade to MCU3...

Yeah, when MMC1 starts to die, it is SLOW. But a properly working MMC1 is nearly just as zippy for most, but with much better audio quality.

Hey Tesla, can you take a mulligan on MCU2 and fix the damned audio? We'll pretend it never happened.

Oh, you will... You will.
Just give it a few days for the excitement to wear off. You'll be cruising along the highway, all excited that it took less than 5 seconds for MCU2 to plot your course on the NAV ( it doesn't matter that it's the same course you take every day to work, you should know how to get there by now without the computer assist. )
Your favorite tune will come on and you'll turn the volume up with excitement of a "new car" feeling.
Somehow the tunes aren't stimulating your auditory nerves the right way. Did you get enough sleep you wonder?
[You dial it up a few more notches. ]
Still something is not quite right.
Maybe the coffee you drank that morning was decaf? Nah, that wasn't it.
[ A few more notches of volume.]
Before you realize it, you're at 11.
Still, no joy.

Sadly, audio quality took a MAJOR hit in favor of something? Speed? And in a few years, when MCU2 slows down because of all the bloatware or emmc failure that wasn't redesigned right, we'll be in the same boat. Maybe they'll fix the audio as a consolation to us suckers who are still around needing to upgrade to MCU3...

Yeah, when MMC1 starts to die, it is SLOW. But a properly working MMC1 is nearly just as zippy for most, but with much better audio quality.

Hey Tesla, can you take a mulligan on MCU2 and fix the damned audio? We'll pretend it never happened.

Another poster said that these settings helped.

Attachments

• 9D92A60F-F7BC-43FE-9FEB-447CB88AB676.png
    9D92A60F-F7BC-43FE-9FEB-447CB88AB676.png
    820.9 KB · Views: 111

Thanks for providing a copy of the NHTSA documentation.

upload_2020-9-15_18-58-34.png

I got my 2017 MX MCU1 AP2 upgraded to AP3 (without the MCU upgrade) a few months ago. Then, the MCU1 because almost unusable, like many reports here. Last week, I scheduled for MCU2 upgrade. The estimate came back at $2250 without the touchscreen change. I called and asked them to include the touchscreen. Then, they added the touchscreen for $550 for a total of $2800 plus tax (with tax it will be $3000+). When I tell them that it’s supposed to be $2500 with the touchscreen (that’s still on the Tesla website), they said that offer is no longer available and the website is not updated yet. Basically, there are two options right now: MCU upgrade for $2250 without touchscreen, or $2800 with touchscreen. It looks like they are treating the touchscreen change as a separate order.

My touchscreen had yellow borders but they fixed it with the UV treatment about 6 months ago. Now, it has no yellow borders anymore.

So, should I go with or without the touchscreen? If you upgraded your MCU recently, what’s your experience?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911