Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you get your car back, let us know if your expectations have been met.

I have had the car back a few days. Wow, its like a new car! I won't repeat all the specific improvements posted many times before, but overall its worth it. I was getting frustrated with the car. Probably more so, because we have an M3P and everything is so snappy. I'm using voice recognition again and its fun. Navigation actually works. Dashcam player is a must.

But I have one disappointment:

Camera view side cameras are not active in the camera while driving like the Model 3. I can press the little Cone Zone(?) icon and activate the camera at the top, side cameras below and the car sensors, but it hides everything else, such as nav and music. It feels like a "hack", which I'm grate-full for, but I was expecting to see the Nav at the top, Main rear camera as normal AND the side view cameras like the Model 3. There is screen real estate to allow such a view. Unlike the Model 3, I also have to hit this icon every time I go in reverse to see the side cameras. Seems like the programmers don't drive Model S/X's or there is some hardware limitation? Or maybe there is a setting or swipe somewhere I don't know about?

Do it, how awesome is it that one can upgrade a computer in their car and get new functionality!
I love my Model S again. It is that big of an improvement. The car just feels better overall. Hopefully the side camera interface can be added to the Camera View.

I have had the car back a few days. Wow, its like a new car! I won't repeat all the specific improvements posted many times before, but overall its worth it. I was getting frustrated with the car.
Probably more so, because we have an M3P and everything is so snappy. I'm using voice recognition again and its fun. Navigation actually works. Dashcam player is a must.

But I have one disappointment:

Camera view side cameras are not active in the camera while driving like the Model 3. I can press the little Cone Zone(?) icon and activate the camera at the top, side cameras below and the car sensors, but it hides everything else, such as nav and music. It feels like a "hack", which I'm grate-full for, but I was expecting to see the Nav at the top, Main rear camera as normal AND the side view cameras like the Model 3. There is screen real estate to allow such a view. Unlike the Model 3, I also have to hit this icon every time I go in reverse to see the side cameras. Seems like the programmers don't drive Model S/X's or there is some hardware limitation? Or maybe there is a setting or swipe somewhere I don't know about?

Do it, how awesome is it that one can upgrade a computer in their car and get new functionality!
I love my Model S again. It is that big of an improvement. The car just feels better overall. Hopefully the side camera interface can be added to the Camera View.
I think you meant AP3 instead of M3P... unless I didn't know the Model 3P MCU upgrade was available?! ;)

It's a little ambiguous, but he meant M3P -- as in "because we also have an M3P where everything is so snappy" as a comparison to his (previously) MCU1 car.
Not sure why AP3 came into play... except that the Model S does have FSD and the AP3 hardware already. Guess I could have stated that.

@HankLloydRight Yes, exactly, we have a Model S 100d that had MCU1 and a Model 3 Performance (M3P) that of course, comes with MCU2. We did the Infotainment upgrade on the Model S last week.

@FlatSix911 It was easy to compare the UX experience between the two. Which made the ModelS so painful to use. Had I not had a comparison so available to me, maybe I wouldn't have been as frustrated? nah. it's slow. Nav was delayed, Speech never worked, delay in every touch/swipe etc. Dashcam and Sentry would frequently crash and wifi constantly would get dropped.

So now, with the Infotainment upgrade on the Model S to MCU2 the UX feels as fast as the MP3's in all aspects of the UX and the Model S fun to use again. Being a "computer on wheels" it really is like having a new car. It could be my new enthusiasm, but it also feels like the car performs better overall, and I'll just go with that. Its well worth the upgrade.

Unlike the Model 3, I also have to hit this icon every time I go in reverse to see the side cameras.

When you put the car in reverse, if you click the little down arrow in the center of the screen between the rear camera display and the overhead car graphic, it will open up the repeater cameras and that will keep them open each time you put the car into reverse.

Reactions: DarrenK
When you put the car in reverse, if you click the little down arrow in the center of the screen between the rear camera display and the overhead car graphic, it will open up the repeater cameras and that will keep them open each time you put the car into reverse.
I do not have that arrow to get he repeater cameras active until tap the "cone zone?" icon to get them. But it isn't persistent when going in reverse. Do you see an arrow on reverse without hitting the "cone zone" icon?

I do not have that arrow to get he repeater cameras active until tap the "cone zone?" icon to get them. But it isn't persistent when going in reverse. Do you see an arrow on reverse without hitting the "cone zone" icon?
If you have the camera on the screen when you put the car in reverse the display doesn't change. If you don't have the camera on the screen then it should work as described above to get the side repeater cameras to stay on. We displayed ours the first day with MCU2 & have never had to touch it again.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
question for those of you who have already had the MCU2 upgrade done - did anyone's upgrade take more than a day for Tesla to complete?

brought my AP1 70D into service for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade first thing yesterday am - apparently hardware installation went fine but they ran into trouble updating the firmware (I was warned at drop off time they've run into that sort of problem before with other MCU2 upgrades). So they kept the car overnight aiming for completion by end of today. But now late day2 they're still having problems and need to keep the car a 2nd night, hopefully finished tomorrow. Apparently the firmware update takes several hours but then quits/fails and they have to start over; as mentioned they said they've seen this before

is a common issue with the MCU2 upgrade?

question for those of you who have already had the MCU2 upgrade done - did anyone's upgrade take more than a day for Tesla to complete?

brought my AP1 70D into service for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade first thing yesterday am - apparently hardware installation went fine but they ran into trouble updating the firmware (I was warned at drop off time they've run into that sort of problem before with other MCU2 upgrades). So they kept the car overnight aiming for completion by end of today. But now late day2 they're still having problems and need to keep the car a 2nd night, hopefully finished tomorrow. Apparently the firmware update takes several hours but then quits/fails and they have to start over; as mentioned they said they've seen this before

is a common issue with the MCU2 upgrade?

No took one day.. it was all day.. I was at the service center for about 7 hours but it was completed and I drove home the same day.

They did mention that there were issues with software installation after they installed the hardware. that apparently is the biggest part of trying to make it work correctly the hardware installation takes about an hour beyond that they're just trying to get the software loaded and working properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: f-stop