Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no technical knowledge about I remember back in the day when Tesla replaced my MCU display for yellow screen defect I lost all my car settings except odometer. I doubt they only transferred odometer and not other settings. So who knows if MCU does store odometer¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no technical knowledge about I remember back in the day when Tesla replaced my MCU display for yellow screen defect I lost all my car settings except odometer. I doubt they only transferred odometer and not other settings. So who knows if MCU does store odometer¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Could have just been that was the only legally required setting TO transfer. Rest was your problem. :D

Of course, we have been ‘promised’ cloud profile storage... but that gets us full circle to Elon’s old tweets!

So, as I said in the other thread, how is this research project possible (the end goal of a Kickstarter-like project of a process of how we upgrade MCU 1->2 ourselves). Don’t see it.

Unless there’s a ‘right to repair’ answer somewhere that hasn’t happened yet?

There's nothing that is impossible about the project. How likely is the project to be successful is a different story. I imagine the way the kickstarter is being setup will not be how it works in reality. Due to the fact that several key pieces will not be shared to the general public, else Tesla will close them.

However, I imagine the process would work like:

1. Owner pulls their IC and MCU (which requires pulling the entire dash apart to get at it)
2. Owner ships the daughterboard from the MCU to a third party ( requires some disassembly of MCU, but not hard )
3. Third party magic.
4. Third party ships back a wiring harness, new IC and an MCU2 married to your car.
5. Owner puts back in their new IC2 and MCU2 with provided wiring harness.

Now, with the caveat, that nobody would do this before there warranty expires, if you did this before your warranty expired, you'd get into a mess with Tesla proving that your upgrade did not cause the issue ( Just my opinion ).

In all, this is very doable, at least in theory.

There's nothing that is impossible about the project. How likely is the project to be successful is a different story. I imagine the way the kickstarter is being setup will not be how it works in reality. Due to the fact that several key pieces will not be shared to the general public, else Tesla will close them.

However, I imagine the process would work like:

1. Owner pulls their IC and MCU (which requires pulling the entire dash apart to get at it)
2. Owner ships the daughterboard from the MCU to a third party ( requires some disassembly of MCU, but not hard )
3. Third party magic.
4. Third party ships back a wiring harness, new IC and an MCU2 married to your car.
5. Owner puts back in their new IC2 and MCU2 with provided wiring harness.

Now, with the caveat, that nobody would do this before there warranty expires, if you did this before your warranty expired, you'd get into a mess with Tesla proving that your upgrade did not cause the issue ( Just my opinion ).

In all, this is very doable, at least in theory.
Thanks! Only issue with that is it probably cuts down on people willing to have it done considerably.

Lol, my point was, folks like myself with a relatively new Model X, I doubt will want to do this at all. Def won't wait two years until out of warranty and then not have a warranty on the rest of the car. Will move on to a Y or whatever.

The real point is that Tesla/Elon promised us this as a supported process. We really need a go/no go from Elon. Or if everything Elon 'twitter promised us' is 'non active', then, fine, say so. Then we can decide what's next.

Reactions: bollar
Lol, my point was, folks like myself with a relatively new Model X, I doubt will want to do this at all. Def won't wait two years until out of warranty and then not have a warranty on the rest of the car. Will move on to a Y or whatever.

The real point is that Tesla/Elon promised us this as a supported process. We really need a go/no go from Elon. Or if everything Elon 'twitter promised us' is 'non active', then, fine, say so. Then we can decide what's next.

It kind of feels like Elon wanted to and knew it could be done. But he was advised by the board and accountants to no longer mention it or acknowledge it

Tesla appears to be much closer to general software practices than regular auto industry, creating more software in-house, running multiple permutations of software configurations, etc and purposeful separation between real-time safety-critical systems and IVI.

The complexity of their visible software is immense, the size of the software team appears smaller than required and the time for quality software process is empirically not fully comprehended already. I could only speculate at size and quality of validation of non-safety critical software. The learnings appear to be happening, and the team appears to be expanding, in China has been mentioned. At some point any active software stops, both to minimize additional permutations and because of organic code rot.

I’ve seen changes that were happening to help optimize mcu1 efforts, and supposedly this still happens in a large part because EM paying it back with long term support to the loyal initial supporters, though some because of unintended consequences of improved performance considerations between 1 and 2.
Mcu1 has a fundamental design flaw with its soldered-down flash memory, due to its overuse because of heavy initial telemetry and caching behaviors. Even with this, I would not expect upgrade path between 1 and 2.

The only way to confirm any of this is to get a job with Tesla on software team. Of course, if you did then your NDA would frustrate and prohibit you from saying more.. ;)

Then there is that one small issue,,,,
Mcu1 has a fundamental design flaw with its soldered-down flash memory, due to its overuse because of heavy initial telemetry and caching behaviors. Even with this, I would not expect upgrade path between 1 and 2.

Then there is that one small issue,,,,
This behavior doesn't change with MCU2, it just has more flash memory so the MTBF (mean time between failure) is much longer.

This behavior doesn't change with MCU2, it just has more flash memory so the MTBF (mean time between failure) is much longer.
That's sorta good to know. Mine is currently 4 years old with 30,000 MIles and I have the 8 year warranty.
So, in essence, I should make it to my final 8th year and by then, the pickup should be looking good.
It's still a shame because the MS was billed as never being outdated

Yeah, the MS was billed as such but then they started rapidly integrating updates and changes and started making them outdated within 6-12 months of purchase. Not that the integration of changes is bad but it is a tough pill to swallow sometimes when you realize your $100k car is outdated as quickly as your $700-$1000 mobile phone.....

• Informative
Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Yeah, the MS was billed as such but then they started rapidly integrating updates and changes and started making them outdated within 6-12 months of purchase. Not that the integration of changes is bad but it is a tough pill to swallow sometimes when you realize your $100k car is outdated as quickly as your $700-$1000 mobile phone.....
True, even more so when you realize that your car will be very expensive when the warranty expires!!!
Evidential obsolescence

Tesla appears to be much closer to general software practices than regular auto industry,
Unfortunately they are trying to use the software development model for hardware, which is causing headaches because you can't update hardware over the air for the cost of sending bits to the internet. This leaves them with a plethora of hardware configurations to support.

I’ve seen changes that were happening to help optimize mcu1 efforts, and supposedly this still happens in a large part because EM paying it back with long term support to the loyal initial supporters
That's a nice spin on it, but I don't buy it. The reason Tesla is shipping new software to old cars have little to do with EM's paying it back to loyal supporters, but more with Tesla having to live up their obligations. There are 2 main reasons why Tesla HAS TO update old cars:
  1. They sells vaporware, so they have ship new software until all the sold features are met
  2. Tesla is selling an car which requires internet connectivity to operate, which means as part of support it has to be at least patched for security. This means cars have to get security updates for the duration of their expected life cycle
Cars have a lifespan of over 10 years, supporting 10 year old open source based software is a HUGE cost, partially because it is a completely separate version of software to patch and maintain, but primarily because the OSS community moves onto new versions and drops old ones, so for example Tesla would have to go through all CVE's found in latest Linux Kernel and go back to see if this vulnerability affect the kernel version they are using which may be not supported anymore by OSS, and then if it does port the fix. They would also have to go through all the new kernel security features and code changes to see whether they are address something which is needed in the old kernel to keep it secure. It really is easier to just keep moving to new kernel, new releases of OSS, etc. Easier, but not still not cheap at all.
So, basically Tesla has to keep releasing patches to old cars, and having all cars run the latest code base is simply the cheapest option, even though it sucks for the older car owners. My teenage daughter compared it to using older Apple devices with latest IOS, after experiencing my MCU1 while being used to my wife's MCU2 car - she was pretty dead on even if she didn't know it.

It's still cheaper for Tesla to replace the MCU with a new or refurb MCU1. Of refurbishing old one is probably one reason why they fight so hard to keep the old ones even though charging $3K for a new one. Btw, MCU2 AFAIK also has soldered on EMMC, so still the same problem, though maybe they reduced the logging?

The only way to confirm any of this is to get a job with Tesla on software team. Of course, if you did then your NDA would frustrate and prohibit you from saying more.. ;)
I know a few ex Tesla engineers and have to tell you that even if you had a job there, information you have is not necessarely reliable - Elon can change his mind at any time. ;)