Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The least thing they could do if it's not offered, is to sell MCU2 and IC2 as any other part if it's not already. That way 3rd party can retrofit the car without overloading Tesla. Also they can make a small profit of selling loose MCU2s.

I guess they don't want to be proven wrong that it's far from impossible? :)
What 3rd party has access to toolbox, etc? I mean, someone here may, but in general, that’s not ‘a thing’.

This needs to be a Tesla project or announced as never happening. Getting old real quick...

The least thing they could do if it's not offered, is to sell MCU2 and IC2 as any other part if it's not already. That way 3rd party can retrofit the car without overloading Tesla. Also they can make a small profit of selling loose MCU2s.

Most people would go for it as it would void Tesla warranty on the MCU. Tech opens up a car, "I have no clue what custom 3rd party harness this is, I am not touching this". You call Tesla saying your MCU is dead, they tell you to call your 3rd party, because they really don't know what modifications the 3rd party did to get MCU2 into an MCU1 car. Of course then there is the odometer thing, which may make it illegal for Tesla to allow 3rd parties to mess with whatever is keeping track of mileage (I'm not sure about the legality of removing OEM odometer and substituting it with a custom one, say a Raspberry PI with my own software). It sounds so simple on the surface, but the devil is always in the details.

Most people would go for it as it would void Tesla warranty on the MCU. Tech opens up a car, "I have no clue what custom 3rd party harness this is, I am not touching this". You call Tesla saying your MCU is dead, they tell you to call your 3rd party, because they really don't know what modifications the 3rd party did to get MCU2 into an MCU1 car. Of course then there is the odometer thing, which may make it illegal for Tesla to allow 3rd parties to mess with whatever is keeping track of mileage (I'm not sure about the legality of removing OEM odometer and substituting it with a custom one, say a Raspberry PI with my own software). It sounds so simple on the surface, but the devil is always in the details.

It has to be clear that it voids warranty. I hope for their sake that the odometer is a black box on the canbus and not inside the MCU :)

It has to be clear that it voids warranty. I hope for their sake that the odometer is a black box on the canbus and not inside the MCU :)
Tesla or other OEM's don't warranty 3rd party modifications, which an MCU2 retrofit would be. I don't know where the odometer is, but I suspect it is the MCU (maybe someone who booted an MCU's outside of a car can chime in).

Assume you meant ‘wouldn’t go for it’? :D

Isn't there an EU regulation stating that a 3rd party shop should get access to the same tools and parts? Is restricting sales on MCU's really legal?

Tesla or other OEM's don't warranty 3rd party modifications, which an MCU2 retrofit would be. I don't know where the odometer is, but I suspect it is the MCU (maybe someone who booted an MCU's outside of a car can chime in).

Salvage title vehicles can (still) go through a verification process with Tesla, but I've heard it's costly. I wish they made an offer just to upgrade the damn MCU2. I have MCU2 myself luckily but I am speaking for those who are unfortunate enough to be left behind with their MCU1.

Isn't there an EU regulation stating that a 3rd party shop should get access to the same tools and parts? Is restricting sales on MCU's really legal?

'Right to repair' rules brought in for appliances

Salvage title vehicles can (still) go through a verification process with Tesla, but I've heard it's costly. I wish they made an offer just to upgrade the damn MCU2. I have MCU2 myself luckily but I am speaking for those who are unfortunate enough to be left behind with their MCU1.

'Right to repair' rules brought in for appliances
Wonder how this fits with Massachusetts right to repair, etc. Can we get Rich to order us our parts and upgrade us?!

• Love
Reactions: Tdreamer
Salvage title vehicles can (still) go through a verification process with Tesla, but I've heard it's costly.
Salvage car repaired to original specification, yes you can re-certify. A car modified with 3rd party hardware (which an MCU2 retrofit would be) is not to original specifications, so no, Tesla wouldn't warranty it no matter what inspections you have them do. It's like if you took a salvage Model S, stuck a Roadster battery in it along with a custom BMS you designed to make the Roadster battery work in an S, and tried to re-certify it and have Tesla warranty it.

The degree of misinformation and unverified assumptions on this thread is little alarming. I have no doubt It is well-intentioned, but until the actual research is done we simply do not know.

There is no current evidence that suggests that retrofitting the car with MCU2 requires root access. It might, but it is not currently known.

I have been researching this for some time and there are certain knowns and a few unknowns. The MCU does not house the odometer, so that shouldn't be an issue, nor does it house any AP functionality. Upgrading the MCU will also require changing the drivers display screen, as the new MCU simply feeds the video directly to the screen as opposed to the previous ip configuration.

There is a known Tesla Technical Service Bulletin on changing the MCU that involves re-pinning some of the connectors. The bottom line is until we put functioning MCU's on a bench and test them we are not going to know for sure. I am strongly considering a group-buy where we each chip in around $200 to perform the actual research. IF this ends up being a harness adapter (as multiple sources have said) then it's not TOO difficult. IF it ends up we need root access, then that is a different thing and each owner would need to decide what works for them. Either way, at least we would have an answer.

There are some people on this forum whose opinions I greatly value, However they have told me each of the two possibilities and the bottom line is until we actually do it we just are not going to know for sure. There are certain things that you can install it in your car that a simple software update will force the car to identify the new hardware and simply make it function, Door handles, Automatic charge port door (once mounted), etc. We won't know if the MCU is one of those things until we try it.

If you are interested, PM me and I'l add you to the list. If we have enough interest I'll put something together.

ive also created a thread for the group buy project at GROUP BUY - MCU-1 to MCU-2 Upgrade, Testing interest
Might want to put a pointer to that in the main forum. I think a lot of threads in the subforums get missed just because they are subforums. Many don’t ‘watch’ everything everywhere. :D

It absolutely needs either root or the propriety Tesla toolbox software. (Just like replacing an MCU1 with another MCU1.)
I'll also add that the MCU absolutely contains odometer and car configuration data (well, gateway does which is contained in the MCU unit). Getting at those will require Toolbox or root.

Oh and MCU also contains ADAS maps for AP navigation, but I only add that to disprove the statement that it doesn't contain any autopilot information. It does, just a minor part as everything else is done by the APE.

It absolutely needs either root or the propriety Tesla toolbox software. (Just like replacing an MCU1 with another MCU1.)
So, as I said in the other thread, how is this research project possible (the end goal of a Kickstarter-like project of a process of how we upgrade MCU 1->2 ourselves). Don’t see it.

Unless there’s a ‘right to repair’ answer somewhere that hasn’t happened yet?