Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s adorable that people still think Service Centers are sources of truth.
upload_2019-10-5_18-26-3.png

Why are SC's are being singled out?

I committed to a good value inventory MS on the basis of this tweet.
You'd have thought I would have learned my lesson by now, so am just quietly kicking myself for being dumb.
Mind you they screwed up the delivery big time and I still don't have the car nor any communication whatsoever so I may yet back out.

Like many I admire Elon + Tesla for what they have achieved, but I am just sick and tired of the entirely unecessary lies.

SC here in GTA, has confirmed to successfully performed the upgrade, and official paid upgrade coming soon. they were not sure about the cost.
FWIW the last few times a SC has said this, they simply were replacing older MCU1s with a slightly new build of MCU1 and for whatever reason it would allegedly be slightly slightly faster.

I've got an hdmi kit too. What are you using for your emulator? Retro Pi? Have any links to share so I can build me one?

Just a prebuilt image of retro pie. It's super easy. I also purchased this weird little 3input hdmi splitter that also breaks out the digital audio signal into analog headphone which then goes into an FM transmitter. (the Bluetooth profiles for audio/video on the Tesla are all screwed up, could never get it to play from the Firestick, pi, phone cast, etc)

I also have a chromecast hooked up which is just disappointing. It's worked maybe 1/100 times. I tried a Plex client but it has terrible USB storage support and the streaming into the car was atrocious in it's reliability.

BUT, I just picked up a pi4 yesterday and found out that Kodi has great USB storage support as well as an NES emulator add-on. So it looks like I'll be murdering 2 birds with 1 stone. That will leave me with 1 input taken by that and another by the camera I have for the rear facing seats. I'm calling it a win win win.

View attachment 462887
I committed to a good value inventory MS on the basis of this tweet.
Aha! There is your problem - committing any money based on any Tweet. I hope you didn't sink your retirement buying Tesla stock based on the "funding secured at $420" Elon tweet. And if you didn't, what made you trust the MCU tweet and not the funding secured tweet? Come to think of of, what examples of Elon's tweets inspired any confidence in them at all?

Come to think of of, what examples of Elon's tweets inspired any confidence in them at all?

Whaaat? It's like saying Santa doesn't exist:(

However, being the ceo of the company, should bring some gravity to the statements made, even in the form of tweets.
However, I'm in the FSD camp, but I still take everything with a grain of salt, even if my hopes are high.
Seen alot of stuff, and closest to Tesla I was at the inaugural test flight of the falcon heavy, the falcon crew, and then again the solar sail launch, among other things.
So I believe that if people want things to happen, they will happen.
Just need the right person in the right place, and I believe Elon is in his mind and heart the right person, but the world does not seems to be working in the same pace as himself.
With that in mind, I think he wanted to make this happen, can see it happen, and that's why he tweets it.

My personal reasons for throwing money in the direction of him, is for simple reasons like he seems to want to go the same direction with the world and technology that I am and not because he tweets stuff that seems cool:)

Whaaat? It's like saying Santa doesn't exist:(

However, being the ceo of the company, should bring some gravity to the statements made, even in the form of tweets.
However, I'm in the FSD camp, but I still take everything with a grain of salt, even if my hopes are high.
Seen alot of stuff, and closest to Tesla I was at the inaugural test flight of the falcon heavy, the falcon crew, and then again the solar sail launch, among other things.
So I believe that if people want things to happen, they will happen.
Just need the right person in the right place, and I believe Elon is in his mind and heart the right person, but the world does not seems to be working in the same pace as himself.
With that in mind, I think he wanted to make this happen, can see it happen, and that's why he tweets it.

My personal reasons for throwing money in the direction of him, is for simple reasons like he seems to want to go the same direction with the world and technology that I am and not because he tweets stuff that seems cool:)
People are free to throw their money at any cause they feel like, no problem there. My point was Elons tweet delivery history clearly tells you that if you are expecting a return, you're gambling. Nothing wrong with gambling with your own money, but it makes no sense to complain. Saying "I invested based on Elon's tweet and lost money" is like saying "I bought a lottery ticket based on an ad of a guy winning, but I didn't win anything" - it is the most likely outcome.

Aha! There is your problem - committing any money based on any Tweet. I hope you didn't sink your retirement buying Tesla stock based on the "funding secured at $420" Elon tweet. And if you didn't, what made you trust the MCU tweet and not the funding secured tweet? Come to think of of, what examples of Elon's tweets inspired any confidence in them at all?
not wrong
but was a good deal on the inventory eoq so I took a chance, then read on here that the mcu upgrade is basically vaporware, and guess what I'm not surprised. And yes, I learned a long time ago that you buy what is in front of you not worthless promises for the future, so this just gets a shrug really.

What gets more than a shrug.. is I went to pick it up and first was told there was delay as they had to program another key, then an hour later was told they were having issues sorting the wheels (wtf?) and eventually after wasting my entire day and a 100 mile round trip was told there was a "high voltage issue". That was a week ago and have not heard diddly squat since.
I have the distinct impression that I have been lied to. Repeatedly. Whilst attempting to transact $100K worth of business.

Hey Tesla it doesn't need to be like this, it really doesn't.
Five years ago - not great
Three years ago - really?
Now - just grow up

To be honest, nothing in that article is news or new or any different than what your local SC would tell you. I happen to know someone that did do the mcu2 retrofit themselves and it wasn't something they recommend anyone do outside of Tesla's official services (they lost warranty because they did this upgrade). Point is, it's doable and not particularly hard. Just needs Toolbox. Or, Tesla needs to offer it as a service.

Then I cannot see any reason why there aren't some enterprising people offering this as a service to those who are off warranty and have had their MCU1 die. Given a choice of changing a dead MCU1 for another at $2500+ at a SC or upgrading to an MCU2 for $3000 or even $4000 with some small operation which has proven they can do this reliably with no adverse effects I think most people would choose the latter.

So this person has access to Tesla Toolbox? The other stumbling block is getting the MCU2's; I don't think Tesla sells them so must be from salvage cars.

Curious, are you aware of the claim I referred to and doubt the validity or are you unaware of it? I could have sworn it was in one of the yellow screen discussions, but I can't for the life of me find the thread now.
I'm aware of several folks getting "Upgraded MCU's" that ended up being a revision of v 1. I have yet to see anyone actually confirm they have MCU2 in an MCU1 car.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yeah, we need confirmation this was not the 3g to lte MCU ‘upgrade’, which is what it seems most SC refer to as MCU2
The MCU(1) in my car was replaced couple of weeks ago, That time I asked, if they installed the new MCU(2). That's when I was told that I still got the older version, but new upgrade(paid) is coming soon and they already did that.

not wrong
but was a good deal on the inventory eoq so I took a chance, then read on here that the mcu upgrade is basically vaporware, and guess what I'm not surprised. And yes, I learned a long time ago that you buy what is in front of you not worthless promises for the future, so this just gets a shrug really.

What gets more than a shrug.. is I went to pick it up and first was told there was delay as they had to program another key, then an hour later was told they were having issues sorting the wheels (wtf?) and eventually after wasting my entire day and a 100 mile round trip was told there was a "high voltage issue". That was a week ago and have not heard diddly squat since.
I have the distinct impression that I have been lied to. Repeatedly. Whilst attempting to transact $100K worth of business.

Hey Tesla it doesn't need to be like this, it really doesn't.
Five years ago - not great
Three years ago - really?
Now - just grow up
A week ago was still last quarter push, they missed the delivery so no more rush. A bunch of people probably took time off after the end of quarter push too.

The MCU(1) in my car was replaced couple of weeks ago, That time I asked, if they installed the new MCU(2). That's when I was told that I still got the older version, but new upgrade(paid) is coming soon and they already did that.
Right, I have no idea what this means ‘ already did that.’ Already made the upgrade kit?

And timing is always bad. It’s always almost end of quarter or near some deadline.

The least thing they could do if it's not offered, is to sell MCU2 and IC2 as any other part if it's not already. That way 3rd party can retrofit the car without overloading Tesla. Also they can make a small profit of selling loose MCU2s.

I guess they don't want to be proven wrong that it's far from impossible? :)