Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there have been no upgrades done to date (MCU1 to MCU2) and additional wiring is required, I'd say that is unlikely. The new design screens are supposed to come out this summer. The upgrade to MCU2 computer is a separate issue and there has been no mention of an upgrade kit coming down the pipe. I wouldn't count on it, but that's just speculation on my part.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Do we think there is ‘any’ chance that all of us that need screen replacements due to the yellow border will end up getting MCU2 or at least an option for MCU2 with a big discount just to cover anything extra required (if anything is required)

no chance. Our only hope is nvidia stops selling Tesla the crapass Tegra chips or Tesla runs out of refurbished MCU1

Do we think there is ‘any’ chance that all of us that need screen replacements due to the yellow border will end up getting MCU2 or at least an option for MCU2 with a big discount just to cover anything extra required (if anything is required)

This is a pretty good idea for both customers and tesla. They could make some money on offering the warranty replacement to an MCU2 with a slight uncharge that covers their NET costs and perhaps provides them a reasonable profit.

Far better for Tesla to do this than to make no money on a straight warranty replacement to an MCU1.

This is a pretty good idea for both customers and tesla. They could make some money on offering the warranty replacement to an MCU2 with a slight uncharge that covers their NET costs and perhaps provides them a reasonable profit.

Far better for Tesla to do this than to make no money on a straight warranty replacement to an MCU1.

On the other-hand if they are getting the MCU1 warranty replacement costs covered by the supplier of the faulty parts, the 'up-charge' for replacing with an MCU2 would be considerably higher than you might expect...

MCU1 has always been slow. It was tolerated at launch in 2013 because no cars had large touch screens. In 2018, the last year it was made, it was pretty embarrassing. V9 made it that much worse. It is like an old iPhone with the latest iOS update. Except it will cost 100k to upgrade and make it responsive again. Hopefully, there is another more reasonable upgrade path.

MCU2 is 1920x1080

MCU1 is 1920x1200

I've seen MCU1's 1920x1200 resolution discussed on TMC in various threads before. I know my 2015 MS has MCU1.

but I just noticed.... when I run the MCU checker at www.teslatap.com/mcu in my car, the result shows 1920x1158 - Anyone seen this before? (I assume, a flaw in the tester page?)

mcu.JPG

You sound skeptical of Elon's "yes" reply on Twitter.
More of the timeline. I'm sure he fully well intends to provide the upgrade, but people at Tesla aren't really sitting around waiting for something to do. If other projects get prioritized over it, it could get pushed back. We all know, sadly, what happens to Tesla's good ideas that get pushed back too many times.

I personally think that it's not only worth it from a profit perspective, but even more valuable from a customer retention/image standpoint for Tesla to offer upgrades on the MCU, but I'm not a project manager there placing priorities on things.

MCU1 has always been slow. It was tolerated at launch in 2013 because no cars had large touch screens. In 2018, the last year it was made, it was pretty embarrassing. V9 made it that much worse. It is like an old iPhone with the latest iOS update. Except it will cost 100k to upgrade and make it responsive again. Hopefully, there is another more reasonable upgrade path.

So... cheaper than an iPhone, check.

Yeah, you're safe to assume any 2015/2016 car will have the shitty and slow MCU 1, if that's what you're asking.

MCU 2 only came about a year ago.
I don't find it shitty and slow unless you're talking about the web browser. Everything else works great for me. I don't reckon too many people use the web browser in the car though (even if it was quick)