Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't find it shitty and slow unless you're talking about the web browser. Everything else works great for me. I don't reckon too many people use the web browser in the car though (even if it was quick)
The web browser isn’t just a web browser, think of it as a window for custom capabilities that Tesla hasn’t built for the car. Home automation hub, weather dashboard, traffic incidents. It can extend the capability of the car and allow a lot more folks to make our cars more useful. I personally use Tesla winds and dark sky radar. The browser is not usable for me on MCU1 V9.

The rest of it (map, control UX) is slow, but is usible. There is noticble more lag on MCU1 vs MCU2 or compared to a modern tablet/phone. We can make do because we adjust our behaviour to account for the lag and don’t do things like rapid scrolling/zooming which we know would upset things.

Reactions: am_dmd and StarLog
Do you ever plot long road trips?

Computing the route from SF to Vegas takes 2 effing minutes on MCU1 and 3 seconds on MCU2.
I do, but I dont find it takes anywhere near that long to plan long routes.

Even if it did...if I'm driving for 8 hrs as in your example, I've got the 2 'effing' minutes to spare, and then another 478 after that so I'll be ok :)

If you're worried about your first turn and where to go from starting, use your phone then when you're on the way, the car system will be ready. Or just be patient and realise that waiting 2 minutes on a 480 minute journey is no big deal.

The web browser isn’t just a web browser, think of it as a window for custom capabilities that Tesla hasn’t built for the car. Home automation hub, weather dashboard, traffic incidents. It can extend the capability of the car and allow a lot more folks to make our cars more useful. I personally use Tesla winds and dark sky radar. The browser is not usable for me on MCU1 V9.
I see what you mean. Although I'm unfamiliar with some of those things you mentioned and don't see why I'd rather do them in my browser in my car rather than just use my phone that I can talk to and leave it in my pocket to do any home automation stuff etc.

I do, but I dont find it takes anywhere near that long to plan long routes.

Even if it did...if I'm driving for 8 hrs as in your example, I've got the 2 'effing' minutes to spare, and then another 478 after that so I'll be ok :)

If you're worried about your first turn and where to go from starting, use your phone then when you're on the way, the car system will be ready. Or just be patient and realise that waiting 2 minutes on a 480 minute journey is no big deal.
It’s cool that you find the user experience satisfactory. It’s simply tolerable at this point for me and I’m more than willing to pay for a MCU2 retrofit.

Between that and being able to download and stage a software update in 5 minutes instead of an hour, it all makes a big difference for me. (I live in an apartment in a high break in area so I literally sit in the car with a hotspot babysitting it to get updates).

Reactions: am_dmd and StarLog
So, Musk has said that HW2.5 will be upgraded to HW3 via the FSD computer upgrade (for those who purchased FSD). Now, for those with HW2.0 who purchased FSD it's unclear but it's certainly looking like the promised upgrade won't occur. Musk has been mute on questions about this on twitter.

While I'm curious what the cost of the MCU2 retrofit is going to cost, Musk is going to have some pissed off customers including me.

So, Musk has said that HW2.5 will be upgraded to HW3 via the FSD computer upgrade (for those who purchased FSD). Now, for those with HW2.0 who purchased FSD it's unclear but it's certainly looking like the promised upgrade won't occur. Musk has been mute on questions about this on twitter.

While I'm curious what the cost of the MCU2 retrofit is going to cost, Musk is going to have some pissed off customers including me.
... and me. But all they can do is return our money for FSD and all is well I guess...

Or it sounds like the big difference are the cameras. If the harness is the same for the cameras, why can't he just supply new cameras along with the FSD Computer???

I'm wondering if I slide off the side repeater camera from my AP2.0 MX and AP2.5 Model S, is the connector the same? Are they in fact interchangeable and will Dash Cam and Sentry Mode still work?

Anyone know how to slide off those side repeater cameras?

UPDATED
-------------
I found this video which shows how to remove the side repeater.
Source =

... but he does mention that each of the cameras are coded for the VIN so switching my Model X and Model S one not going to work...

Last edited:

More information from Electrek... Elon Musk clarifies Tesla’s plan to retrofit cars for ‘Full Self-Driving’ with new HW3 computer

“Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3. Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate. No change to vehicle sensors or wire harness needed. This is very important.” In another tweet, Musk clarified that Tesla will only start to do retrofits when the software will actually catch up to hardware.

He explained on Twitter:
upload_2019-3-29_19-56-32.png

Anyone who purchased full self-driving will get FSD computer upgrade for free. This is the only change between Autopilot HW2.5 & HW3

So......what about those of us that bought FSD and have MCU1 hardware? My position is Tesla will have to upgrade that (and witing harnesses plus possibly cameras) at no additional charge if thats what it takes to deliver what was promised when we bought!

So......what about those of us that bought FSD and have MCU1 hardware? My position is Tesla will have to upgrade that (and witing harnesses plus possibly cameras) at no additional charge if thats what it takes to deliver what was promised when we bought!

Cool position. Fortunately the MCU has nothing to do with autopilot so you don’t need to worry about it.

Reactions: markn455