Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the MCU in my AP1 2015 Model S was replaced a few weeks ago with an MCU2. Accidentally...
This is my favorite post in a year. Although I have to wonder what the tech was thinking...

"hmm, Bluetooth antenna connection and IC display port. I don't see those, I'll leave them blank. WiFi antenna ports? I only see one. I'll hookup 5GHz since I hear it is better."

or more like

"Man I am bored. Elon says that MCU2 is upgradable. I'm going to try it out. Nice to make that sales guy Bob look dumb after he took all my poker money. And sure to impress the new gal in delivery."

Last edited:
You know wha's a "very simple piece of code"? The trip odometers. Yup. All that code needs to do is subtract two numbers and display the result. But do you know what the software development clowns at Tesla have done to that "very simple piece of code"? They store and keep track of the mileage of every single 'drive', and then have code to add up all those drives to calculate the trip odometers. Every single time. It doesn't even add them up and keep a subtotal and than add the deltas. Nope, that would make too much sense. The code should be something a teenager could write in BASIC, but no, someone at Tesla had the brilliant idea of storing each individual trip and then aggregating the mileage. I couldn't believe it either, but do you know what the documented procedure is for speeding up a slow/laggy MCU1 interface: Clear out the trip odometers to clear out thousands of records of individual trips. And it works. I still can't believe this is true, but it's been documented by several trustworthy people here on TMC (and I think TeslaBjorn also claims this is true).

So no, I'm not assuming any piece of code on the MCU is a "very simple piece of code".

Shaking my head.

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
My MCU1 touchscreen hasn't shown signs of slowness or lagginess. I do periodically clear out the nav history, but so far I haven't reset one trip odometer (lifetime stats). It boggles the mind that either of these would be the cause of reduced performance. But they are. Go Tesla!
I don't know, my Breakout paddle and ball performance was poor yesterday ... maybe I should reset my stats? </sarcasm> Seriously, though, why in the world are developers replicating arcade games rather than improving the damn software?

Oh, and GTFOML. :D

Ah see it now when I clicked the link. Makes perfectly sense if they use a 32-bit integer to track the position in the map files. Will cause an endless loop of loading it.

It's easily fixable though. 32-bit systems do support 64-bit ints and big files. Their programmers just need to be aware of it and use them where needed.
Indeed... You can map a view of a >5GB file in a 32bit address space.

If the Musk statement is true, that Tesla has the best software team in the world, my statement holds. If they don't have a good software team, then anything they attempt will be difficult.

Tesla has the best software team in the world, but all competent ressources have been dedicated to improve the model 3 production issues for a while.

In the mean time, MCU software development has been subcontracted to a team of interns in India.

Hey all, my MCU has been diagnosed as failing. I spoke w/ the SC today about upgrading my late 2016 MS P100DI to MCU2 AP2.0. He said he is unable to sell me the part at this time (not that it can’t be done). I brought up that I heard it wasn’t available for sale because cars that use MCU2 aren’t likely to be out of warranty yet. He didn’t confirm that but he said he would be glad to set up an appointment to change the MCU when the MCU2 becomes available for sale (so he sorta did confirm it). I am holding off on a MCU1 swap and living with my crippled unit (it displays bogus warning messages and hassles me when I attempt voice commands) since it seems there may be some truth in Elon’s recent “you can” tweet about this. Hopefully this will be available in weeks, not months. :) If I have to spend 3K, it may as well be for the latest version. I’ll be watching here to see if anyone has any news.

Hey all, my MCU has been diagnosed as failing. I spoke w/ the SC today about upgrading my late 2016 MS P100DI to MCU2 AP2.0. He said he is unable to sell me the part at this time (not that it can’t be done). I brought up that I heard it wasn’t available for sale because cars that use MCU2 aren’t likely to be out of warranty yet. He didn’t confirm that but he said he would be glad to set up an appointment to change the MCU when the MCU2 becomes available for sale (so he sorta did confirm it). I am holding off on a MCU1 swap and living with my crippled unit (it displays bogus warning messages and hassles me when I attempt voice commands) since it seems there may be some truth in Elon’s recent “you can” tweet about this. Hopefully this will be available in weeks, not months. :) If I have to spend 3K, it may as well be for the latest version. I’ll be watching here to see if anyone has any news.

Good luck with that.

Hope springs eternal. Tweet from Elon 4 days ago that seems to say upgrade to MCU2 will be available:
sqrt(E/m) on Twitter

My hope/rationalization for the delay is that Tesla is waiting for full release of V10 software to offer MCU2 upgrade, because that will likely widen the gap of features available for MCU1 vs MCU2, and better justify the price, which we all expect to be steep. Or another way to look at i, to keep the price from being astronomical, they need to make sure they will have enough demand.

Or we are all just delusional. My inventory car was built literally a few weeks before the switchover to MCU2, and I paid for FSD so it just seems a damn shame to get an upgrade to AP3 HW later this year and still be on MCU1 for the infotainment part.

Scratching my head here trying to figure out what the plan is.

My MCU1 S75D is working at a satisfactory level due to advice offered here (e.g. clear out recent destinations, use sketch to help relieve processor loads, etc.) but the experience is certainly subpar.

No qualms dropping 2-3k on an upgrade to extend and expand features and functions, should Tesla decide to offer an upgrade path...that's not "buy a new car". :p

Dissapointing.

I think I too will write in, screenshot of Elon's tweet attached, and ask for the status of the MCU1 > MCU2 upgrade.

Dear Tesla,

On March 12, 2019 the following question was put to Elon Musk on Twitter "Will there be an upgrade option for the newer MCU as well?" to which Mr. Musk replied "yes", again on March 12, 2019 (screenshot attached). I was pleased to hear this as even with the recent software releases my first generation MCU struggles to provide a user experience which is equal to the driving experience of my Model S. I look forward to seeing the details of the upgrade path Mr. Musk promised and hope to be able to take advantage of it soon!

Dear Houstonian,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. We have published the details of our MCU upgrade program here:

Design Your Model S | Tesla

All Tesla MCU1 customers are eligible to upgrade to MCU2 with the purchase of a new vehicle, now with even more range!

Thank you for helping us accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
Tesla