Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the chances we could see MCU3 with all the connectors for both mcu1 and mcu2 retrofits also all the IC's to make it work on anything?

I think this would come closest to being feasible and pleasing everyone. A new a bunch of new cool features could be triggered by an “MCU3”, making even Model 3 owners want to update. Could be designed from the get-go with upgrade from MCU1 and MCU2 in mind. Tesla could first cut over all manufacturing lines for all models to the MCU3, then offer the upgrades once the dust settles. With lots more pull from lots of new features and current M3 owners needing it to get those features, market would be much larger for the upgrade, might be enough to make it worthwhile.

I can dream.;)

My Model 3 AP works better than AP2.5 in my MCU1 Model S. I believe this is because the GPS signal is received and processed in the MCU, and they do in fact use GPS positioning in AP, specifically to detect whether you are on a ramp so they can drop the set speed. When I pursued this with Tesla they acknowledged that they are using GPS to implement "Fleet Speed", which is the feature that slows you down on ramps and interchanges, and that my S was braking hard as I passed exits because I was at the limits of the GPS performance.

So in other words, I think this does affect AP in at least that way. I would be surprised if GPS were irrelevant to FSD city driving.

The APE has it’s own ublox GPS chip used for AP the ublox chip in the mcu is used for google maps and super chargers and stuff. The APE does not get location data from the MCU

The APE has it’s own ublox GPS chip used for AP the ublox chip in the mcu is used for google maps and super chargers and stuff. The APE does not get location data from the MCU

Interesting, thank you! Perhaps there was some other difference causing this to perform worse in my S than my 3... but actually the gap has closed now, so maybe it was a map update or something that the 3 had but not the S. Does the APE have its own GPS antenna as well, I guess, and is that any different? Does the APE load the maps via the MCU, I assume, or does it have its own copies?

Is the yellow-border problem only an MCU1 issue, or has it also shown up on MCU2?

My MCU1 on my S75D just started having the yellowing over the last week or two. March 2018 S, yes one of the very last of the MCU1s.

Affects MCU2 too. There seems to be two types of LCD panels. The first generation of panels adhesive fails and leaks goo. The second generation of panels adhesive fails and creates a yellow border. No good screens exist yet AFAIK.

• Informative
Reactions: Hood7
Has anyone been able to upgrade to MCU2? My screen just happened to have the yellow boarders this morning

You are confusing the MCU hardware with the screen. The screen (LCD panel) can be replaced separately from the MCU (the computer).
Tesla does not replace complete MCUs (screen + computer) if it is just a display issue.

Also, MCU1 can't be upgraded to MCU2. Tesla has no upgrade package for it for good reasons. It is a very complex operation