Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(If they end up offering the upgrade there.)

I'm feeling some negative energy here:p:rolleyes:

-reality for me is that I actually don't care about the fm/dab radio, never really use it, so I would do the upgrade anyway:)

But I'm curious about the radio part on our mcu1, is there a way to check out if it is digital or analog from the European/Norwegian tuner to the mcu1?

I know that there are a couple of things that are different on the Norwegian model s then rest of Europe, like the charger that comes with the car, and we got DAB before others due to the FM was being powered off.
At least from what I have heard/read...

Also I totally agree that $2500 is well worth it for this infotainment upgrade. Even though it's been about 4 days, my Model S P100D feels like a new Tesla. Since I never listen to FM, AM or Sat Radio, I don't miss it at all.

Also for those who are interested, the Sentry mode was record the rear camera now, so we get all four cams recording.
I totally agree here. I am in the same boat. I never used AM/FM. Its either FLAC on USB or Spotify and occasionally Slacker. I somehow feel that the Immersive sound is better than Dolby may be its just my placebo.
I didnt check reverse camera in Dark. But I will report if I find it different

What radio would you recommend.
Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom.

The Chinese radios (Baofeng, Wouxun, etc.) have had very poor reviews in the radio/technical magazines.

Also, I'm not clear if operating without a license is OK in an emergency. Getting a license is a lot easier than it used to be. No longer is Morse code necessary. You just need some basic electronics knowledge and knowledge of regulations, which are spelled out in sample questions and study guides.

Reactions: pilotSteve

It's not. The camera feed at night on the MCU2 is much darker than the MCU1. I am sure at some point Tesla will correct with software but it hasn't been done yet. It wasn't always like this though so I am confident they can adjust it.

I sold my MCU1 2013 S and bought a MCU2 2018 X and one thing that bugged the hell out of me was the much darker back camera. It's barely useable at night, whereas the MCU1 car's backup camera was great at night.

I sold my MCU1 2013 S and bought a MCU2 2018 X and one thing that bugged the hell out of me was the much darker back camera. It's barely useable at night, whereas the MCU1 car's backup camera was great at night.
Agreed. I just retrofitted my own mcu2 into my mcu1 car (before tesla started offering it) and was sure mcu2's backup camera was darker than mcu1. Still decent during the day, but nighttime is very dark. Glad I'm not alone in noticing this.

Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom.

The Chinese radios (Baofeng, Wouxun, etc.) have had very poor reviews in the radio/technical magazines.

Also, I'm not clear if operating without a license is OK in an emergency. Getting a license is a lot easier than it used to be. No longer is Morse code necessary. You just need some basic electronics knowledge and knowledge of regulations, which are spelled out in sample questions and study guides.

Operating a ham radio without a license (even in an emergency) is against regulations and subject to stiff penalties if observed by the FCC. Getting a license is indeed easier than it used to be. You can probably obtain a Technician's license if you have some advanced electronics knowledge and also knowledge of the FCC rules and regulations. However, obtaining a Technician's license allows you to ONLY use CW, not phone for the HF frequency bands. I believe a Technician can use phone for the some frequencies above 10 meters. There used to be 5 licenses available....Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Amateur Extra. Nowadays, you must take the test ($15) for Technician. If you pass that test you can take the test for General at no extra cost if you take the test immediately after having taken and passing the Technicians test. If you pass THAT test, you can also take the test for Amateur Extra after having passed the test for General. So you can get your Amateur Extra license for $15 IF you pass the Technician test AND the General test and the Amateur Extra test on the same day. That's what I did. But 99% of the ham radio community take the Technician's test and if they pass that one, they will study for a year or more and then try to take the General and then the AE. Passing the General test would allow phone work on almost all of the bands and is therefore much more desirable than the Technician's license which is MUCH more restricted.

Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom.

Baofeng are great for 25 bucks. Sure may not be as clean (radio signal wise) as the big brands but they are great . I own a few. $25 bucks or 300-400 for a nice icom or yaeseu ? I have both and both have their uses

Baofeng are great for 25 bucks. Sure may not be as clean (radio signal wise) as the big brands but they are great . I own a few. $25 bucks or 300-400 for a nice icom or yaeseu ? I have both and both have their uses
The Kenwood TH-K20A is $129 and more than sufficient and a good radio. Don't need all the bells and whistles on a $300 radio. The Baofeng can be completely unusable in a city environment, being overwhelmed by other strong signals nearby.

Operating a ham radio without a license (even in an emergency) is against regulations and subject to stiff penalties if observed by the FCC. Getting a license is indeed easier than it used to be. You can probably obtain a Technician's license if you have some advanced electronics knowledge and also knowledge of the FCC rules and regulations. However, obtaining a Technician's license allows you to ONLY use CW, not phone for the HF frequency bands. I believe a Technician can use phone for the some frequencies above 10 meters. There used to be 5 licenses available....Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and Amateur Extra. Nowadays, you must take the test ($15) for Technician. If you pass that test you can take the test for General at no extra cost if you take the test immediately after having taken and passing the Technicians test. If you pass THAT test, you can also take the test for Amateur Extra after having passed the test for General. So you can get your Amateur Extra license for $15 IF you pass the Technician test AND the General test and the Amateur Extra test on the same day. That's what I did. But 99% of the ham radio community take the Technician's test and if they pass that one, they will study for a year or more and then try to take the General and then the AE. Passing the General test would allow phone work on almost all of the bands and is therefore much more desirable than the Technician's license which is MUCH more restricted.
Bill, a non-licensed person can use a Ham radio under the conditions below:

Can you use a HAM radio if you are not licensed?

The answer to this question is both Yes and No. Surprisingly, here is a list of uses you can use it for without a license.
  • Listen to FM radio
  • Listen to Emergency Weather Radio
  • Listen to Local municipalities radio communication
  • Scan local frequencies (some states and cities ban the use of scanners, so double check with the local laws)
  • Listen to Local amateur radio transmissions
  • Use the built in flashlight
So through looking through the list, you can do a whole lot of listening, but no transmitting. What fun is that?

There is one exception to being able to transmit. If in the event of an emergency you have no other way of communicating, you can use a Ham radio to try and raise help.

Agreed. I just retrofitted my own mcu2 into my mcu1 car (before tesla started offering it) and was sure mcu2's backup camera was darker than mcu1. Still decent during the day, but nighttime is very dark. Glad I'm not alone in noticing this.
So, based on your home-brew experience, and my purchase of a actual MCU2 vehicle, it seems the darker view at night apparently is related to something in hardware/software of MCU2 vs a different physical camera module used in more recent Teslas?

I had guessed that they changed cameras or something when I initially got my X, but perhaps MCU2 is the real culprit.

Last edited:
So, based on your home-brew experience, and my purchase of a actual MCU2 vehicle, it seems the darker view at night apparently is related to something in hardware/software of MCU2 vs a different physical camera module used in more recent Teslas?

I had guessed that they changed cameras or something when I initially got my X, but perhaps MCU2 is the real culprit.

It's absolutely software based.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Operating a ham radio without a license (even in an emergency) is against regulations and subject to stiff penalties if observed by the FCC.

Wrong.

Here is the actual regulation from FCC:

Part 97.403: Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

97.405: Station in distress.

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.

(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station
IMO, you are misinterpreting this. The key word is BY. It's not OF. An amateur station refers to a licensee, as the ham radio license includes two parts - an operator license and a station license.

And the "any means of radiocommunication" refers to a licensed operator exceeding the terms of his license for the emergency, meaning it lifts any restriction with respect to mode of communication (voice, Morse, data, etc.) or frequency used.

I agree there's no restriction on receiving, but for transmitting, a license is required.

Reactions: Bill Price
Just got my P100D X back. It's like a whole new car and everything is very snappy. I scored an unbelievable deal on a new demo inventory fully loaded Model X P100D that was built March 2018. Only con was some miles on it and it had MCU1. We had a LR Model 3 first and the difference between MCU2 and 1 is night and day. Don't think anyone who had MCU2 first would be able to stand MCU1. We only use radio for NPR and the local station is on tune in so could care less about loss of FM/AM/XM. If you have a FSD car and plan to keep it for a while and can get access to your radio stations on tune in I think the upgrade is absolutely worth it's cost and more. MCU1 is really that bad!

Wrong.

Here is the actual regulation from FCC:

Part 97.403: Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

97.405: Station in distress.

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.

(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. The definition of "amateur station" is a licensed operator operating that station.

• Disagree
Reactions: tyler2323
Sorry, but you are incorrect. The definition of "amateur station" is a licensed operator operating that station.

That's exactly why the regulation just says "station". Because you do not need a license.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

Reactions: tyler2323