Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an update: HW3 is not available for my VIN yet...

This is the issue I had when I first tried to schedule. They determined availability for the upgrade based on HW3 update and not MCU/Infotainment update. If they look solely at HW3 availability, you won't be eligible until at least May.

I had to reply back to that type of message with a link to the Infotainment Upgrade webpage on Tesla to show that my configuration was indeed currently eligible.

Reactions: DriveMe
just request the infotainment upgrade using your app and schedule an appointment. They run your VIN when they triage all the service request and if your VIN qualifies they will keep your appointment. If not they will notify you they can’t do it right now.
I scheduled appointment Saturday via app for mcu and fsd 3 hw and got this today: Hello Thomas, this is Maci with Tesla Mobile Service. I was reviewing your upcoming Mobile Service appointment and I wanted to let you know that the Full Self Driving hardware parts are released in waves and when they do become available for your Tesla the Service Center will contact you schedule an appointment. At this time we will be cancelling your Mobile Service appointment.

I scheduled appointment Saturday via app for mcu and fsd 3 hw and got this today: Hello Thomas, this is Maci with Tesla Mobile Service. I was reviewing your upcoming Mobile Service appointment and I wanted to let you know that the Full Self Driving hardware parts are released in waves and when they do become available for your Tesla the Service Center will contact you schedule an appointment. At this time we will be cancelling your Mobile Service appointment.
That's pretty much what I've got earlier today.
And they added it would have to be done at the Service Center. "Not mobile capable"

Just got my MCU2/FSD computer done today. Normally I’d be excited, but they did a horrendous job (see photos attached).

The trim is all banged up and wonky. The metal now shows significantly more screen (especially at the top left and decreases as it moves to the right). If it weren’t for social distancing/current touchless procedures I would have sent the car back in immediately. I’ve already scheduled a follow up to fix.

(Side note: my left headlight that has significant condensation built up inside - for a 2 year old car - is within spec. Good to know)

Attachments

• 4EDF9C40-18DB-41F0-A338-89A2A0664C6E.jpeg
    4EDF9C40-18DB-41F0-A338-89A2A0664C6E.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 3AFF5BD0-543A-4D76-BA3D-490B20A3CE8A.jpeg
    3AFF5BD0-543A-4D76-BA3D-490B20A3CE8A.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 3ADC8434-7FFE-4EEB-8761-852D5D04B9FE.jpeg
    3ADC8434-7FFE-4EEB-8761-852D5D04B9FE.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 863A9029-6FB7-4256-85E3-F0B8FD23A657.jpg
    863A9029-6FB7-4256-85E3-F0B8FD23A657.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 166
I got mine done last week. Just realizing now they left the protective screen plastic on the IC! I also will admit, it was the first install the Agoura Hills SC in Los Angeles had ever done. They explained they had to remove the A/B pillars and even the top of the dash to do the work too. Seemed like they opened up the entire car for the project.

Besides the screen film, you happy with the looks of everything else?

Also, even if this is their first MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade...why is this different from replacing bricked MCU1’s? Or retrofitting FSD hardware to MCU2 vehicles? I thought it would be a similar procedure, but judging from the looks of my car, it seems they didn’t really know what they were doing.

Just got my MCU2/FSD computer done today. Normally I’d be excited, but they did a horrendous job (see photos attached).

The trim is all banged up and wonky. The metal now shows significantly more screen (especially at the top left and decreases as it moves to the right). If it weren’t for social distancing/current touchless procedures I would have sent the car back in immediately. I’ve already scheduled a follow up to fix.

(Side note: my left headlight that has significant condensation built up inside - for a 2 year old car - is within spec. Good to know)

I was the first car to get the update in the Toledo Ohio SC. Everything looked good except they didn't connect the cellular antenna connector tightly, so I had to take it back for that repair.

Once they swap MCU1 for MCU2, do you get to keep your old MCU1? I’d like to keep it to tinker with. It’s mine after all, right? How about the HW2.5 computer?

The people that have asked have been told that there is a $1,000 core charge to keep the old MCU1 and IC1.

You aren't paying for the HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade so there is pretty much no chance you could keep the HW2.5 computer.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
FWIW the retrofit on an ap1/0 car will work, but no gps when the retrofit is complete. Your car wil be stuck at fremont CA

Also the speed limit sign is in a round circle, and no lane markings show

https://i.imgur.com/uVNKBTA.mp4

The speed limit in a circle thing is a European convention as that is how speed limit signs are designated there. Is it possible the MCU software is incorrectly targeting a non-US region? I know first-hand how incorrectly installed firmware can completely mess with the visualizations.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948

That’s awful. Mine was perfect except for one very minor nick in the surround bezel.

As for the disassembly, we saw in the DIY thread how it’s possible to lift the dash up and not pull the pillars at all (I don’t recall any mention of that). Seems like the Tesla procedure definitely has a lot of steps and time to it.

Besides the screen film, you happy with the looks of everything else?

Also, even if this is their first MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade...why is this different from replacing bricked MCU1’s? Or retrofitting FSD hardware to MCU2 vehicles? I thought it would be a similar procedure, but judging from the looks of my car, it seems they didn’t really know what they were doing.
Yeah, the performance improvement is simply night and day. I only noticed the film cause I saw some surface scratches on the IC while driving yesterday and then a super tiny bubble...which then when cleaning it I noticed it was just film, not the actual glass. Mobile service is coming on Thursday to fix something else so will ask them to remove it then if possible.

The part I didn't mention is they called me saying "you have aftermarket audio, we need to put your car back together" and I said uhh, what? So the Reus Audio tweeters they considered "custom" and had no idea where to unplug. I said, uh, where the factory harness is, but just J-tapped in! Once that call happened, I figured they were 1) amateur mechanics (moreso technicians I suppose), 2) following mothership instructions, and 3) timed on the job.

For you, I think #1 hit you, for me, #3. How are they going to sort out your surround?

That's pretty much what I've got earlier today.
And they added it would have to be done at the Service Center. "Not mobile capable"

This also happened with me. I had to ask to that my service request be transferred to the Service Center. As soon as that happened, BAM, instant appointment, invoice as expected and an upgrade within a couple days.

The mobile service kept confusing my ask with the FSD only upgrade and was under the impression (incorrectly) that I would't be eligible for the MCU upgrade unless I was also eligible for the FSD upgrade at the same time. Of course they didn't understand that as soon as the MCU was upgraded, it bumped up my eligibility for FSD.

The part I didn't mention is they called me saying "you have aftermarket audio, we need to put your car back together" and I said uhh, what? So the Reus Audio tweeters they considered "custom" and had no idea where to unplug. I said, uh, where the factory harness is, but just J-tapped in! Once that call happened, I figured they were 1) amateur mechanics (moreso technicians I suppose), 2) following mothership instructions, and 3) timed on the job.
Thanks for the heads up. I have after market tweeters in the A pillars as well, but they are tied in to the existing harness, so should not be a problem. BUT, I’ve also got an amp/crossover in the frunk. Does anyone know if they have to remove the frunk tub to do this install?

That’s awful. Mine was perfect except for one very minor nick in the surround bezel.

As for the disassembly, we saw in the DIY thread how it’s possible to lift the dash up and not pull the pillars at all (I don’t recall any mention of that). Seems like the Tesla procedure definitely has a lot of steps and time to it.

I don't remember the manual needing the A pillars removed. We have never removed them to replace mcu or IC. The trim is very delicate, and I often spot damaged ones from service center previous repairs. There is a bit of an art to the removal which we try to document.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva