Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
obviously they are not erasing them. I am hoping to pick up my car tomorrow and hoping to fight to get my hardware back - just like I would always get my old brake rotors put in the back of a car when the brakes were replaced (my old man always did that). I haven't gone through the warranty thoroughly enough to know if I can make a better case to get my old computer back. Certainly if I was paying out of pocket I would demand it but since this is a warranty repair, I'm not sure I will get anywhere.

Yeah, when it is replaced under warranty you have no chance of getting the old parts back, they belong to Tesla.

As I understand the issue, doing the MCU1 upgrade poses less risk as the Model 3 FSD upgrades since the Model 3 uses the intel chipset and has a lot more functionality, it exposes more personal information. MCU1 does expose wifi passwords which is really annoying and Spotify (which I do not use).

On balance, my MCU1 is dying still so if Tesla will oblige me with the MCU2 upgrade+FSD, I'll just have to deal with the fallout of that (and hope it is nothing for me). It is likely that despite being useless my MCU1 still can be readable despite eMMC corruption.

The difference is that the older MCU1 is considered a core and (if you are paying for replacement) goes back for refurbishment unless you pay a core charge to keep it. In your case (warranty), you don't get to keep it because you aren't paying for it. Now you might offer to buy it (pay the core charge) and they might let you keep it, but you are certainly not getting it for free, no matter how hard you fight. This is not unique to Tesla. Core charges are normal for higher value parts in many industries, including the auto-industry.

Do we have any evidence that the Factory Reset option erases personal information? It certainly requires you to re-enter all your settings. It would be easy enough to do this reset before going to Service if you were so motivated. Probably doesn't overwrite data multiple times to ensure security, but better than nothing.

As I understand the issue, doing the MCU1 upgrade poses less risk as the Model 3 FSD upgrades since the Model 3 uses the intel chipset and has a lot more functionality, it exposes more personal information. MCU1 does expose wifi passwords which is really annoying and Spotify (which I do not use).

On balance, my MCU1 is dying still so if Tesla will oblige me with the MCU2 upgrade+FSD, I'll just have to deal with the fallout of that (and hope it is nothing for me). It is likely that despite being useless my MCU1 still can be readable despite eMMC corruption.

isn’t your upgrade appointment date, tomorrow?

Do we have any evidence that the Factory Reset option erases personal information? It certainly requires you to re-enter all your settings. It would be easy enough to do this reset before going to Service if you were so motivated. Probably doesn't overwrite data multiple times to ensure security, but better than nothing.
I think it is supposed to work that way. When we traded in one of our cars, we tried the factory reset 2 or 3 times and it never erased anything. We finally gave up and just removed as much data as we could manually.

green on Twitter:

upload_2020-5-5_9-6-41.png

upload_2020-5-5_9-6-59.png

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Car at service center getting MCU2 upgrade. Tech says HW3 never been done with HW2. VIN says contact Fremont in system. They think they can do it or at least fix my MCu1. Got a Model X 90D loaner which was awesome.

My location is really trying their best and it gives me hope that even if this attempt doesn't succeed they will get me my upgrades in a couple weeks. They, yet again, said I likely will have MCU2 and HW2 instead of 3 for now and will do HW3 later this month. So we'll all find out soon what will happen.

I asked sheepishly about data and they said it will be wiped but @verygreen was pretty clear that isn't the case but I'm hoping Illinois is somehow better run than Cali. It appears my location is.

Well, I changed my Spotify password, it's the only app from what I can see in MCU1. Wifi is a point, may have to do that also. Really can't believe they don't have a process for this with all the bug contests and security they theoretically think about. Jeez.

(Really can't believe reset doesn't. Who programmed this crap?)

Generally speaking, the more miles on the car, the more time the owner is in the car, performing actions that cause more writes to the chip..no?
Ok, I see what you mean. I guess I will generally agree with that, except to say it really depends on what is being done in the car while driving (performing actions as you mention). I'm thinking you know that, but others might not. :) For me, a lot of the writing going to the chip is the wife constantly changing the air conditioning, saving and updating favorites, and doing other things on the console where some of those things cause writing to the chip. And sure there are lots of other things that affect it.

If someone streams a lot of audio, I would assume they would be putting on a lot of miles. However, it could be possible to stream a lot and never actually go very far. The more streaming, the more writes to memory and the faster the degradation of the eMMC...which causes the MCU to slow down.
good point. I guess you mean like my son sitting in the car to get away and stream stuff all evening without actually going anywhere :D:eek:

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So, we have this issue with the upgrades.... Tesla Data Leak: Old Components With Personal Info Find Their Way On eBay

Can someone remind me what logins/passwords we used on MCU1? I can't think of anything except Spotify and I just changed that, and am about to update the cars.

Anything else I think was only on MCU2 (I know Netflix, etc., is new, of course). Is that correct? I hope most SC's did indeed reset the old MCUs...
Well, there is a related issue that I haven't seen anyone talking about yet. Imagine buying a used Tesla and not knowing it has been rooted by the previous owner, who continues to have full access to your car. Ideally the firmware would be reloaded by Tesla via some side channel like JTAG or some flashing mode which would not require any existing, potentially rooted code to run after powerup, BUT I doubt they are doing that, and for sure no 3rd party dealer does that. Welcome to 21st century cars! This problem is not going to be unique to Tesla, they are just at the forefront of the always connected ipad on wheels device model for cars.

Well, there is a related issue that I haven't seen anyone talking about yet. Imagine buying a used Tesla and not knowing it has been rooted by the previous owner, who continues to have full access to your car. Ideally the firmware would be reloaded by Tesla via some side channel like JTAG or some flashing mode which would not require any existing, potentially rooted code to run after powerup, BUT I doubt they are doing that, and for sure no 3rd party dealer does that. Welcome to 21st century cars! This problem is not going to be unique to Tesla, they are just at the forefront of the always connected ipad on wheels device model for cars.
That would definitely be worse (having someone control your car) but you’d think Tesla would have thought ahead this little bit. Sigh...

Does anyone know if I decide to upgrade to MCU2, would it be possible to install the premium audio package during the install? Of course, I'll pay for the premium audio. Just wondering.
Tesla will not do that for you. And to do it yourself you would have to reroute some speaker wires, add the amp, run the back hatch wires, run the subwoofer wires, add the subwoofer and change the interior pieces. And then you would have to change the gateway config and figure out how to keep Tesla from overwriting it in the future. Chearper to just buy a new car.

Last edited: