Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing I noticed while reviewing the dashcam footage is it's encoded in H.264. I read on multiple posts including on TeslaTap's that dashcam footage is encoded in H.265, especially when equipped with FSD computer. Viewing Video – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

I'm running 2020.16.2.1 firmware. Does anyone have their dashcam footage encoded in H.265? Is it due to the RCCC camera suite?

View attachment 544097
Interesting. H265 requires a license to encode in. Shocked Tesla would pony up

Another thing I noticed while reviewing the dashcam footage is it's encoded in H.264. I read on multiple posts including on TeslaTap's that dashcam footage is encoded in H.265, especially when equipped with FSD computer. Viewing Video – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

I'm running 2020.16.2.1 firmware. Does anyone have their dashcam footage encoded in H.265? Is it due to the RCCC camera suite?

View attachment 544097

Pretty sure they rolled it back from H265 because of issues. Found a thread about it on reddit. 2019.28.3.1 change the codec from H265 to H264 and all grey issues went away. Finally stable videos for HW3 but know how people knows if they are on HW3 or Not :) : teslamotors

My ‘17 S went in to Tyson’s in VA yesterday morning for the MCU1/AP2.0 swap out. I called at 4pm and the hardware was all in and working but the download had not finished. If it got done by 5pm they would roll it out and I could pick it up. Unfortunately my app notified me it finished about 7pm. They are closed the weekend and Monday holiday :(. So I guess I’m done but won’t get to play till Tuesday.
Well that's good news. Even having to wait the weekend, you'll have the car done. You may be the first MCU1 to MCU2 HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 car done at Tyson's. Please let us know how it goes...inquiring minds want to know. Also curious to how your silver trim looks after the job...several reports of damage to it at other service centers.

Reactions: scottf200
My ‘17 S went in to Tyson’s in VA yesterday morning for the MCU1/AP2.0 swap out. I called at 4pm and the hardware was all in and working but the download had not finished. If it got done by 5pm they would roll it out and I could pick it up. Unfortunately my app notified me it finished about 7pm. They are closed the weekend and Monday holiday :(. So I guess I’m done but won’t get to play till Tuesday.
3 days wait is not bad,here in Canada 3 months ? 3 quarters ? we have to be patient....

Please let us know if the IC visualizations are satisfactory without MCU2 upgrade. I have the same configuration as you and want to decide whether MCU2 upgrade is worth it to me. I have only 37,000 miles and no noticeable screen slowdown or problems, had the yellow screen replaced just prior to Tesla instituting the UV “fix” so it looks and works great. This way I would retain AM/FM radio too.

Reactions: croman
Please let us know if the IC visualizations are satisfactory without MCU2 upgrade. I have the same configuration as you and want to decide whether MCU2 upgrade is worth it to me. I have only 37,000 miles and no noticeable screen slowdown or problems, had the yellow screen replaced just prior to Tesla instituting the UV “fix” so it looks and works great. This way I would retain AM/FM radio too.

I just had my request for only FSD computer rejected. Said will be doing AP2 to HW3 only end of June.

From what I've seen of the other MCU1 and HW3, it's just fine. IC shows traffic lights and stops. Doesn't show trash cans, animated pedestrian movements, other kinds of lane markings and I'm sure other stuff but I don't care about that stuff as long as it functions the same otherwise as MCU2.

My ~ August 2017 Model S 75D (AP2/MCU1) was just successfully upgraded by the kind folks at Tesla in Austin, TX at the Pond Springs service center. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon, given a Tesla 85D as a loaner. Texted this morning, saying it would be ready @ 3:30PM today....

Some observations -- wow, this thing is fast and smooth.

AP was already "calibrated" when I left. Worked great on the way home. The stoplight recognition did warn that it required a map update, connect with Wifi/etc. but I did not need to recalibrate anything.

Dashcam/Sentry worked immediately. Plugged in a new Samsung T5/1TB SSD that I prep-ed ahead of time. Instantly recognized it.

The visualizations on the IC were already "live" -- road markings, cones(!), trash cans, those little "slap" dividers for HOV/Toll lanes... along with stop lights (showing light colors correctly!).

AP seemed more confident and quick at executing actions in NOA, lane changes. Car seemed more confident in general when using AP through more complex intersections, areas where lanes widened, and other problem areas for AP2.

Will do more testing, obvs. but so far so good!

The Austin Service center seemed... surprised?... that the install/upgrade went as smoothly as it did. They warned that they hadn't done many, and the ones they have done have been a "challenge" in terms of fitment, FW updates taking, etc. -- originally warned it could be 3-4 days in the shop.

I'm happy that it was turned around in 24 hours without any issues!

Can you comment on Sentry? I.e. I'm assuming they didn't upgrade your cameras to colour? Do you mind posting a sample video?

Can you comment on Sentry? I.e. I'm assuming they didn't upgrade your cameras to colour? Do you mind posting a sample video?

It looks just like the ones from Hawaii. The video is a bit less orange hued and more reddish hued. It doesn't really affect the dashcam aspect, colors are a bit odd but you can still make out what you need to.

It seems like their neural net performance isn't sensitive to RCCC vs RCCB. Red light and yellow light detection worked great on my AP2+HW3 car, indistinguishable from our Model 3.

Same here, except my SC says they won't even notify me and that I'm the one who has to keep checking back. I guess if they want to keep getting bugged over and over that's their prerogative
Sounds like a job for script. Write one, or hire a student to write one, to text them, send email, or even just call them once a day to see if anything has changed, and let you know when it does. Who says Tesla has a monopoly on automation? Elon would be proud. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: kavyboy and Vector2
Well that's good news. Even having to wait the weekend, you'll have the car done. You may be the first MCU1 to MCU2 HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 car done at Tyson's. Please let us know how it goes...inquiring minds want to know. Also curious to how your silver trim looks after the job...several reports of damage to it at other service centers.

I'm nervous about the trim too. About a year ago they replaced my screen due to the yellow band. The trim wasn't put back on right, the screen was tilted, and they cut the leather on my steering wheel. I rejected the repair so they kept it a few more days to do it right including replacing the steering wheel. I don't mind mistakes if folks fix them. Otherwise Tyson's has been great to work with and I'm sure this time it's either right or they will make it right. Either way, I'm driving an S 85 loaner with nowhere to go.

I'm nervous about the trim too. About a year ago they replaced my screen due to the yellow band. The trim wasn't put back on right, the screen was tilted, and they cut the leather on my steering wheel. I rejected the repair so they kept it a few more days to do it right including replacing the steering wheel. I don't mind mistakes if folks fix them. Otherwise Tyson's has been great to work with and I'm sure this time it's either right or they will make it right. Either way, I'm driving an S 85 loaner with nowhere to go.
That is a very good reminder to take several pictures of the area (trim, steering, etc) that will be worked on. Never thought of the steering wheel but will add that to my locations to photograph.

For those few of you that have upgraded, I have a question about cellular data connectivity with MCU2 vs. MCU1. I assume the mobile radio lives within the MCU, and the antenna stays the same with the upgrade. My question is if the new MCU2 cellular radio might have additional frequencies available to it that might not have been present on MCU1. I remember reading a couple of people report that their cellular signal strength seemed better after MCU2 upgrade (or at least indicated better signal).

I live in a marginal coverage area for AT&T, so the loss of FM could have a significant impact. LTE is rarely present on at least half my commute, and the car regularly drops to 3G with at times marginal signal strength. I used to have AT&T phones that did better with signal strength (perhaps using other cell frequencies not available to the car?). I only listen to NPR on FM, which is definitely streamable on TuneIn. With my current Verizon phone service, I can stream well with only about 1/2 mile of the drive that loses signal, but I hate to have to rely on phone streaming of TuneIn if I upgrade.

Has anyone who upgraded noted improved signal in areas that were marginal or no signal previously?

For those few of you that have upgraded, I have a question about cellular data connectivity with MCU2 vs. MCU1. I assume the mobile radio lives within the MCU, and the antenna stays the same with the upgrade. My question is if the new MCU2 cellular radio might have additional frequencies available to it that might not have been present on MCU1. I remember reading a couple of people report that their cellular signal strength seemed better after MCU2 upgrade (or at least indicated better signal).

I live in a marginal coverage area for AT&T, so the loss of FM could have a significant impact. LTE is rarely present on at least half my commute, and the car regularly drops to 3G with at times marginal signal strength. I used to have AT&T phones that did better with signal strength (perhaps using other cell frequencies not available to the car?). I only listen to NPR on FM, which is definitely streamable on TuneIn. With my current Verizon phone service, I can stream well with only about 1/2 mile of the drive that loses signal, but I hate to have to rely on phone streaming of TuneIn if I upgrade.

Has anyone who upgraded noted improved signal in areas that were marginal or no signal previously?

Not an answer to your question but I noticed my J revision MCU1 shows more bars than my original MCU1 which functioned just fine with 1 bar before and I can't say I've been anywhere remote to compare. I'll be in rural NY once the covid pandemic subsides and the area there is a black hole for ATT 4G.

Apologies if this question has been discussed somewhere in the 219 pages.
Is there any information about when the MCU2 infotainment upgrade will be offered to vehicles with AP2.5, enhanced AP, but have not purchased FSD ?

Depending on how you read what Tesla says it is either coming soon or available to schedule now. (Since FSD owners get early access, which they should have now but maybe they won't expand it to to non-FSD owners until FSD owners stop scheduling.)

Reactions: Dan Baldwin
@Bumper's getting the MCU2 upgrade, so that doesn't help you....

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

Yes! Going from 1bar 90% of LTE in Dallas to going full bars of LTE on MCU2 and snappy load times, streaming and excellent call quality. Hope this helps.