Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely ap2.5 if you've got color other than red for any camera except backup cam.
I think it can "look" like four colors. ("green" = cyan) -- picture: AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

D3IfQvG.jpg

Hey @scottf200 and @ImpetuousRacer, I updated and improved my checklist, thanks you both of you. I really appreciate it, and so will future readers! I just checked my analytics, and found that apparently 2,800 folks have found my article, that's a lot of upgrades!
That's a really nice list, but I will guess that you analytics won't tell you how many upgrades occurred. Many like me probably just went there to see it. Again very good info :)

I think that was an image that had additional processing to infer green but I could be wrong.
I don't think so actually based on the context in that post I pointed to.
Yes, it is a surprisingly good result by human eye. However, if you think about it, having a red channel and a clear channel allows you to estimate the "not red" colors. Green and Blue (and mixtures between the two) is actually being represented by cyan. You can try loading the picture into an editor and read the values. You will notice the green/blue values are the same (aka represented as cyan).

What is actually happening is our brains are helping us fill in the extra color information by processing the rest of the scenery. Thus the "green" lights look green to our eyes. However, if the extra context was removed (for example zooming in only to the light), then the actual color becomes apparent.

Another example from the first person in Hawaii. Four videos in this post: Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade
L1U9jxg.jpg

Happy to report the Indy SC has confirmed my upgrade kit has come in and I'm on for today at 10:30. Initial schedule was done on May 12th, so it took them about a month to get the kit in. Hopefully people start to see shorter turn around times as production ramps up now that "double plus bad cold" seems to be receding.

I'll post back later after the upgrade (assuming I get it back same day.)

For reference I have a Q1 2017 Model S, AP2.0, purchased FSD about 2 months ago.

I had my MCU1 -> MCU2 and HW2.5 -> HW3 upgrade scheduled for 5/11, then it was pushed back to 5/18, 5/26, 5/28, due to parts shipment delays. Then yesterday they notified me that it’s being rescheduled again, for 6/11. Another 2-week delay. No explanation given. :(
Never got any cost estimate either.

Got a call from Tesla. The upgrade is being delayed by another week. Parts are still missing (the FSD computer).

Could be crazy but I feel like even some of the sounds are different (e.g. the blinker)

I think Tesla is missing a big "Toy Box" opportunity here with User Defined turn signal sounds. Just put them on the same TeslaCam USB drive. Imagine a library of 'classic' turn signal relay sounds. ;)

I also think it's time for Tesla to enable a audible warning for older owners: "HELLO!!! YOU'VE HAD THE LEFT BLINKER ON FOR THE LAST FOUR MILES. AND WHILE I'M AT IT, YOU'RE IN THE PASSING LANE GOING 50 MPH. MOVE OVER!"

Just had my Infotainment update last week here in Portland. Got delayed about 3 weeks for parts to come in. Most definitely worth it IMO. Have a Dec 2016 Model X and the performance increases with browser, added games, being able to watch YouTube, and most importantly getting to finally see some of the FSD features like traffic light/Stop sign functionality is well worth it. Highly recommmend to anyone considering!

I think Tesla is missing a big "Toy Box" opportunity here with User Defined turn signal sounds. Just put them on the same TeslaCam USB drive. Imagine a library of 'classic' turn signal relay sounds. ;)

I also think it's time for Tesla to enable a audible warning for older owners: "HELLO!!! YOU'VE HAD THE LEFT BLINKER ON FOR THE LAST FOUR MILES. AND WHILE I'M AT IT, YOU'RE IN THE PASSING LANE GOING 50 MPH. MOVE OVER!"
If you turn on the Santa Sleigh, you get Jingle Bells for turn signals.

Appointment pushed again because MCU not available even tho AP3 is. Heres the text

'
Our apologies for how long it is taking to get these parts. There is a nationwide shortage and we are doing our best to get them as quickly as possible. I am going to back up your appointment and as soon as we get an ETA we can move your appointment forward. Thanks!
'

Appointment pushed again because MCU not available even tho AP3 is. Heres the text

'
Our apologies for how long it is taking to get these parts. There is a nationwide shortage and we are doing our best to get them as quickly as possible. I am going to back up your appointment and as soon as we get an ETA we can move your appointment forward. Thanks!
'
I tried to set up an appointment yesterday for AP3 + Infotainment for my 2017 Model S (AP2.5, MCU1). They called me almost immediately and told me that parts for the infotainment upgrade wouldn't be available for about a month (mid-July) at best, so that they were canceling the appointment. They said if I wanted just AP3 I could get it done by mobile right away.

I'm guessing that parts availability in Silicon Valley is probably better than most places.

I have a feeling most owners who never go on forums don't even know it's available.
I definitely would not have known it was available if I didn't follow it here for the past year.

I have had zilch in communication from Tesla. As an October 2016 MS (one of the first AP2 cars) who paid for FSD well over three years ago, that's a little irritating. I just submitted a service request to Denver for my well overdue FSD computer upgrade. I included the MCU2 upgrade along with it, in addition to a couple of last warranty issues as I am quickly approaching 50K miles. We will see how well it proceeds.

Reactions: croman
They did send emails about the infotainment email, so it’s not just people that are ‘lucky’ enough to have TMC. :D

I'm one of the many who never received any email from Tesla regarding the ability to upgrade my infotainment (the announcement nor the invitation). Had the work done this past Tuesday. I have a small group of 4 owner friends. Two of the four of us got the email.

Quick update, (after post edit: this didn't wind up being all that quick in the end, I guess :p) car is still in the shop. Drove the loaner 2 hours home after hanging around in Indy because the estimated completion was 4:30 (6 hours after drop off). Around 1pm I text back and asked if that estimate was realistic (after I'd been checking the app every hour or so and noticed my car made it in the shop but I hadn't seen the doors open), after which I was told it would likely be ready by tomorrow and I'd hear back in the morning. After that exchange, the estimated completion changed to 6/12 at 1:30.
I'm a bit salty because the two hours I was tooling around in Indy I could have already been home. In their defence though, they warned me they suspected it would take an overnight and not to worry about the loaner even if it was completed today because I have 24 hours from that notice to get my car from them without being charged the loaner rental fee.
So I gambled and hoped if I hung around I'd hear good news. Not so much. Around 3 or 4 I saw the doors were open and shortly after the app went dead and isn't back up yet, so I assume the MCU is out. I don't recall anybody saying anything about needing to do anything special to regain app access, so I'll keep checking feverishly tomorrow.

Now I have a DMV appointment set up for tomorrow morning to get a new license and register my... Dammit.

Reactions: gregoryg
I just upgraded my 2017 Model S 75 to MCU2 / HW3.0, from MCU1 / AP2.5.
It is very worth it in my opinion!

- USB Music loading - This is huge. I have 10,000 songs (most of my FLAC music collection). It used to take 20 minutes to "load" 2 USB sticks after insertion, now it takes 30 seconds. 10K songs was an MCU1 limit of sorts, can't wait to see if it can handle more.
This just a simple heads up warning - for your consideration. We are still learning what causes the premature death of the eMMC in MCU1 cars. Tesla gives us bits and pieces of information. MCU2 is the same tech, no reason to believe this does not apply to MCU2. An owner shared with me the "tips" a SC Manager sent him that adversely impacts the eMMC. Here's the exact wording reference Music.

"Refrain from using large thumb drives with excessive amount of music/ data (MCU has to parse all that data for indexing)."