Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local service center said they cannot do MCU 2 rn but could do FSD for my Dec ‘16 S.
I have FSD prepaid since ‘16 and inquired about the cabin filter. Given the labor cost I’ll just do it myself.
Noticed it said HW 2.5 and I am HW 2.0 so not sure this will actually happen on Wednesday.
I did get an email that they had to order an additional part: ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED.
I guess I’ll know in a few days...

Attachments

• 3000-009-0002382813_EN-US.pdf
    151.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: SmartElectric
Just returned from the service center after my MCU1->MCU2 and AP2.0->FSD upgrade. Testing everything out and downloading nav data on wifi to test the 'Navigate on Autopilot (NoA)'.

Potention PROBLEM tho. My AT&T cellular connection in the car saw 3G once and maybe 2 bars once but most of the drive home it was OFF. Is there an antenna that is connected that may not have been reconnected?!?! (searching for other threads) Another possible hint to that is when I was going to get the car this morning I saw it was only 2020.20.1. I ask they update it to 2020.20.12. They thought they had and it would do it overnight. I saw on my phone Tesla app yesterday that the 2020.20.12 was downloading and I saw 6% and 7% but that was all. I'm wondering if it was sitting outside and they were trying to download over cellular and it failed. Anyway I'm texting them on the 'thread' I had for the service but not response yet.

UPDATE: I was able to call and talk to the service center. My text interface person was at lunch but they were going to talk to the tech that worked on my car to see what they could see on their end and get back to me.

UPDATE2: There is a connection. I'm getting mobile service. Their msg back to me: "...[tech] said that there is a chance there is a loose connection where the antenna plugs into the MCU if the cell signal quit working right after you left...."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Just returned from the service center after my MCU1->MCU2 and AP2.0->FSD upgrade. Testing everything out and downloading nav data on wifi to test the 'Navigate on Autopilot (NoA)'.

Potention PROBLEM tho. My AT&T cellular connection in the car saw 3G once and maybe 2 bars once but most of the drive home it was OFF. Is there an antenna that is connected that may not have been reconnected?!?! (searching for other threads) Another possible hint to that is when I was going to get the car this morning I saw it was only 2020.20.1. I ask they update it to 2020.20.12. They thought they had and it would do it overnight. I saw on my phone Tesla app yesterday that the 2020.20.12 was downloading and I saw 6% and 7% but that was all. I'm wondering if it was sitting outside and they were trying to download over cellular and it failed. Anyway I'm texting them on the 'thread' I had for the service but not response yet.

UPDATE: I was able to call and talk to the service center. My text interface person was at lunch but they were going to talk to the tech that worked on my car to see what they could see on their end and get back to me.

UPDATE2: There is a connection. I'm getting mobile service. Their msg back to me: "...[tech] said that there is a chance there is a loose connection where the antenna plugs into the MCU if the cell signal quit working right after you left...."

My connection to cellular was loose also. so I had to take it back to the service center for them to tighten the connection.

This just a simple heads up warning - for your consideration. We are still learning what causes the premature death of the eMMC in MCU1 cars. Tesla gives us bits and pieces of information. MCU2 is the same tech, no reason to believe this does not apply to MCU2. An owner shared with me the "tips" a SC Manager sent him that adversely impacts the eMMC. Here's the exact wording reference Music.

"Refrain from using large thumb drives with excessive amount of music/ data (MCU has to parse all that data for indexing)."
It would be good to know how many Gigs is considered large.

For those worried about eMMC wear on the new MCU2

Attachments

• D16CCA9E-CEB7-490C-AF99-0CF864B555F7.jpeg
    D16CCA9E-CEB7-490C-AF99-0CF864B555F7.jpeg
    748.3 KB · Views: 148
My connection to cellular was loose also. so I had to take it back to the service center for them to tighten the connection.

Interesting. I think I’m having the same problem. After getting the Infotainment Upgrade my car connects to 3G (instead of LTE) every time I leave my underground garage. Takes about 10 minutes before it finally switches to LTE. Never had a problem on my old MCU.

FYI, the only customization I had to do after this was pair to my phone and wifi password. My homelink/garage door was even saved (I was sure I've seen that others had to reprogram theirs). I have an old style and have to push the 'red' button on the garage door case for programming IIRC. Maybe other styles (newer) need to be reprogrammed. My website favorites were saved ... and now they work quickly (at least thru wifi).

Last edited:
Interesting. I think I’m having the same problem. After getting the Infotainment Upgrade my car connects to 3G (instead of LTE) every time I leave my underground garage. Takes about 10 minutes before it finally switches to LTE. Never had a problem on my old MCU.
Maybe depends on how closer you are to AT&T towers? By my house I get 0 bars (no connection) but went to Home Depot today and had 1 bar when I came out. Disappeared as I drove home (just a few miles).

FYI, the only customization I had to do after this was pair to my phone and wifi password. My garage door was even saved (I was sure I've seen that others had to reprogram theirs). I have an old style and have to push the 'red' button on the garage door case for programming IIRC. Maybe other styles (newer) need to be reprogrammed. My website favorites were saved ... and now they work quickly (at least thru wifi).
Me too. All my settings were restored, even Homelink. The only thing that I had to set was WiFi SSID and password. And that makes sense, because the MCU2 has a WiFi with 5 GHz, so its a different WiFi board in a MCU that had not been opened at the SC. So selecting the SSID and entering password was in effect like connecting a different car.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm having a really dense day I guess. I read this 3 times, and having trouble understanding. :)
Sorry for being unclear. Instead of reducing the price, they reduced the waiting time to get the FSD upgrade by requiring people to pay for the MCU upgrade in order to get FSD ahead of other owners. This encouraged people to do two things in one appointment and saved Tesla time, and Tesla got paid for doing the MCU upgrade.

Sorry for being unclear. Instead of reducing the price, they reduced the waiting time to get the FSD upgrade by requiring people to pay for the MCU upgrade in order to get FSD ahead of other owners. This encouraged people to do two things in one appointment and saved Tesla time, and Tesla got paid for doing the MCU upgrade.
Although time isn't really reduced if parts are on indefinite backorder.

what does that email look like? Does it contain part numbers and ETA?
It looks similar to the one posted in the link below, except it says "Order Date" with no Shipped Date/Delivered or ETA (it does show part MCU Intel HW3 upgrade for Tegra2.0 #9874562-00-A), but I'm pretty annoyed that they waited to order the parts until 29 days after they confirmed my initial appointment (unless they weren't able to order it before due to backorder and did get to order it now, but since communication has not been great it's been hard to tell):
It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

Last edited:
Indianapolis service center completed my upgrade today and had it ready around 3pm. Total turnaround time was a little over 24 hours, but I don't think my service center runs after hours (like I've heard some of the busier markets do). No sign of damage from the upgrade, no issues with my glove box opening, none of that. Aside from the 4 hour round trip because the car had to stay overnight, the entire experience was flawless.

My reactions echo pretty much everybody else's, it's significantly snappier, the improved performance of everything going on over on the instrument cluster is really nice (Rainbow Road moves so fast now, and the gradient won't degrade to bars of colors!), especially the scroll wheel options being much more accurate as you roll through them. I had a high endurance SD card and usb reader in the car and ready to go before I dropped it off, so dash cam is already up and running. I have a handful of clips that I plan to post up as an example of the AP2.0 camera quality. I can leave links if people are interested when I get it done, but it's nothing different compared to what @Akikiki has already put up.

I also echo his sentiment in that it's a $2500 upgrade to improve the quality of something that may or may not be working just fine for you already. Personally, I agree that it is totally worth it. The improved performance of maps is like night and day, the dash cam feature may pay for the upgrade by itself someday if it catches a negative run-in (hopefully not!), etc. I literally NEVER used the FM tuner, so that was a no brainer for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just left my 9 to 5 to go start a new life in Stardew Valley and I need to tend to my parsnips. :p