Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question - if your emmc fails and your car is under warranty, they will replace with another MCU1 for free. But how much, if any, do they charge for the MCU2/infotainment upgrade at that time? Is that still $2500? It seems they should at least give the labor for free.

I had the FSD computer upgrade done last week, and now my screen seems slower to respond and am starting to have black screen hiccups that I never had before. Unsure if the FSD computer is driving this, or if it was just my time for the emmc to start to fail.

Last edited:
Question - if your emmc fails and your car is under warranty, they will replace with another MCU1 for free. But how much, if any, do they charge for the MCU2/infotainment upgrade at that time? Is that still $2500? It seems they should at least give the labor for free.

I had the FSD computer upgrade done last week, and now my screen seems slower to respond and am starting to have black screen hiccups that I never had before. Unsure if the FSD computer is driving this, or if it was just my time for the emmc to start to fail.

Others have reported their mcu1s having issues with fsd computer. Clearly old mcu1s fail but maybe fsd is hastening it.

My MCU1 failed and I tried for MCU2 and they offered me no discount and they just ended up giving me a free MCU1 instead of making 2500 installing mcu2.

It looks similar to the one posted in the link below, except it says "Order Date" with no Shipped Date/Delivered or ETA (it does show part MCU Intel HW3 upgrade for Tegra2.0 #9874562-00-A), but I'm pretty annoyed that they waited to order the parts until 29 days after they confirmed my initial appointment (unless they weren't able to order it before due to backorder and did get to order it now, but since communication has not been great it's been hard to tell):
It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

Thanks for the info. I received a similar email saying the parts had been ordered (both an MCU and an Instrument Cluster). The order date was June 9 and the ETA was June 11. I called yesterday and no parts had yet been received. Based on the email in the other thread it looks like I should get another email when the parts are received. Thanks, again, for sharing.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60

I have had my MCU1 replaced. I tried to have the upgrade done (this was a year and one-half ago) and the service center wouldn’t do it without charging me the price of MCU2 (which was $2500 before labor). The MCU upgrade program includes labor now, so I don’t think you would save money asking for the upgrade outside of the upgrade program. Also, when you get an MCU replacement you will are likely to get a refurb unit (but it is warranted as if new).

Like you, I now have FSD (upgraded last week) and MCU1. I don’t have the issues you seem to be having with your MCU1. But maybe that’s because I have a refurbed MCU1 in my car?

My 2017 Model X was purchased with FSD and came with AP2. Last month I scheduled to have the AP2 upgraded to AP3. However , the Service Center upgraded to AP2.5 and asked me to schedule another appointment to have the AP3 installed and since I wanted to upgrade to MCU2 they said both will be done at the same appointment. So, on June 4th they scheduled my AP3 and MCU2 upgrade for June 23rd. I think the MCU2 upgrade is worth the $2500, it's like (almost) getting a new car but without paying a new car price.......................From videos I've seen of MCU2 performance, It's way faster than MCU1 plus you get additional apps/features.

Reactions: scottf200

Others have reported their mcu1s having issues with fsd computer. Clearly old mcu1s fail but maybe fsd is hastening it.
I know people have said that the FSD computer works with MCU1, but these kinds of reports (many recently) make me start to wonder if MCU1 is up for anything further developed by Tesla. I am scheduled next week for the autopilot 2 to FSD computer upgrade. I am fairly convinced I will upgrade to MCU2 eventually, but it's not quickly available, and I have a couple of warranty issues to fix now (46K miles).

MCU 1 was misdesigned from the beginning and really should be a recall as essential as it is to the function of the car. I had always held out hope that Tesla would need to upgrade it for at least those of us who invested in FSD so long ago. Maybe Elon could gift some of his recent $800 million windfall toward the cause. ;)

My 2017 Model X was purchased with FSD and came with AP2. Last month I scheduled to have the AP2 upgraded to AP3. However , the Service Center upgraded to AP2.5 and asked me to schedule another appointment to have the AP3 installed and since I wanted to upgrade to MCU2 they said both will be done at the same appointment. So, on June 4th they scheduled my AP3 and MCU2 upgrade for June 23rd. I think the MCU2 upgrade is worth the $2500, it's like (almost) getting a new car but without paying a new car price.......................From videos I've seen of MCU2 performance, It's way faster than MCU1 plus you get additional apps/features.

There really is no upgrade to AP2.5. The only difference between 2.0 and 2.5 are the cameras and radar and during the upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0/FSD they do not replace these. What exactly did they do at that first appointment?

And yes, as a Model X owner who just went from AP2.0/MCU1 to FSD/MCU2 it IS like a new car.

There really is no upgrade to AP2.5. The only difference between 2.0 and 2.5 are the cameras and radar and during the upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0/FSD they do not replace these. What exactly did they do at that first appointment?

And yes, as a Model X owner who just went from AP2.0/MCU1 to FSD/MCU2 it IS like a new car.
AP2.5 also brought additional wiring redundancies (there was a software feature that AP2.0 was missing with the steering wheel and emergency lane departure a while back ago).

Adding data point. MCU1 to MCU2 and AP2 to AP3 upgrade completed in Paramus, NJ. Car is ready for pick up.

Dropped off on Friday morning, didn't see any movement until 3 pm Saturday and around 7 pm Saturday I got a "Software Update Complete" notification. The car was out for test drive this morning (Monday) at around 8.50 am so I'm assuming the upgrade took about 4 hours on Saturday and they staged the software and left for the weekend.

I did have a couple of minor items I added to the list (cabin filter replacement and brake caliper cleaning/brake fluid check). That may have added some time.

I did ask if I can keep the old MCU and they said that I'd have to pay the core fee of $1,000 to keep it so I passed on it. MCU upgrade had no added labor fees. Cabin filter replacement had minimal labor fee ($20) with the filter itself costing about $9.

Service in Paramus is excellent. People from New York may want to consider Paramus for this upgrade because

1. Service is EXCELLENT and
2. You save way more than you'd have paid in tolls going there and back because of lower sales tax.

I'll add any notable info on how the MCU2 and FSD performs when I pick up the car.

That physical wiring wasn't the problem tho so you point doesn't make any sense as far as I can tell. It needs to be configured.

FM/XM Radio for the MCU2 Upgrade | TeslaTap
I hope my questions can be answered:

1. Has anyone been able to get Tesla service to sell you a digital FM tuner if you currently have an analog tuner?
  2. If you can purchase the FM tuner and install it after the Infotainment Upgrade is installed, can someone like Green, Rich Rebuilds, or WK057 change the one line to configure the FM tuner. I know you need to purchase the FM cable and plug it in.
  3. If the FM tuner is configured to work, if you update the firmware, does the FM tuner need to be configured again?

1. Has anyone been able to get Tesla service to sell you a digital FM tuner if you currently have an analog tuner?
  2. If you can purchase the FM tuner and install it after the Infotainment Upgrade is installed, can someone like Green, Rich Rebuilds, or WK057 change the one line to configure the FM tuner. I know you need to purchase the FM cable and plug it in.
  3. If the FM tuner is configured to work, if you update the firmware, does the FM tuner need to be configured again?
To expand on getting the afore mentioned hard core experts here (including Ingineer) to configure your gateway for the new tuner, my understanding is that getting root on the new firmware is tough. I am curious as to whether it can be done with physical access and/or desoldering the eMMC by a broader group.

I am also curious about whether the gateway changes survive a firmware update, and if you do the update yourself like kdday (and hence never had a tuner disabled config line) whether it would survive better. And finally, even if it survives firmware updates, under what other situations might the gateway configuration be re-updated from Tesla corporate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Utahken

My MCU1 failed and I tried for MCU2 and they offered me no discount and they just ended up giving me a free MCU1 instead of making 2500 installing mcu2.

I'm definitely a data point for FSD computer upgrade hastening the MCU1 eMMC failing. Mine hadn't failed, but boy, it sure slowed down significantly and began crashing. I know it was on the fritz before the upgrade because it was literally taking 3-5 minutes just to reboot my MCU, and when they upgraded my firmware it failed a few times. I was also starting to get firmware failures prior to the upgrade... so I'm suspecting that it was on it's last leg. The final straw was the MCU going black on a drive the other day and it literally took 15 minutes for it to come back up.

I believe @TonyT has said that a firmware update (which is loaded alongside the hardware upgrade) doesn't cause it to go bad, but due to the massive eMMC access (read/write) it can certainly hasten the demise of it.

Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?
I had mine done today at Plano. All went smoothly as they said they have done about a dozen or so upgrades. Love the additional visualization with FSD and new screen. All settings except garage door and WiFi were saved. I did not get an invite and had to call Tesla to get an appointment. After about 6 weeks and 3 rescheduled service appointments I was able to get it done.

1. Yes just pay for it, and realize you can't return it. I have one on the shelf, ordered by Tesla
2. Yes it could be done, but root on MCU2 is near impossible without physical access and modifications
3. No it survives future firmware upgrades.

Adding data point. MCU1 to MCU2 and AP2 to AP3 upgrade completed in Paramus, NJ. Car is ready for pick up.

Dropped off on Friday morning, didn't see any movement until 3 pm Saturday and around 7 pm Saturday I got a "Software Update Complete" notification. The car was out for test drive this morning (Monday) at around 8.50 am so I'm assuming the upgrade took about 4 hours on Saturday and they staged the software and left for the weekend.

I did have a couple of minor items I added to the list (cabin filter replacement and brake caliper cleaning/brake fluid check). That may have added some time.

I did ask if I can keep the old MCU and they said that I'd have to pay the core fee of $1,000 to keep it so I passed on it. MCU upgrade had no added labor fees. Cabin filter replacement had minimal labor fee ($20) with the filter itself costing about $9.

Service in Paramus is excellent. People from New York may want to consider Paramus for this upgrade because

1. Service is EXCELLENT and
2. You save way more than you'd have paid in tolls going there and back because of lower sales tax.

I'll add any notable info on how the MCU2 and FSD performs when I pick up the car.

So impressions with the upgrade:

1. Bad stuff first, I lost all settings. I mean ALL except my music favorites. This really sucks because I lost my trip meters. I expected this and it was part of my checklist based on the TinkerTry website.

2. Mobile access is screwed up. I can't unlock the car using app (weirdly, I can lock and use keyless start), open trunk or frunk. Everything else on the app works. This was also part of my checklist based on another forum user’s experience.

Both these issues are being worked on remotely by Tesla. Highly doubt I'll get my settings back because they couldn't transfer it from my old MCU before they swapped in the new one (transfer failed). And it seems Tesla Paramus was using usb to transfer the settings as opposed to using the online toolbox Tesla provides.

I spoke to another Tesla Service Center that had been reported as being able to restore settings to see how they were able to restore the settings which was very informative. Instructions below in case anyone needs it.

In the Tesla Toolbox session, while connected to the old MCU, they create a backup image of settings. They are instructed to then re-flash the old MCU (seems Tesla is fixing the security issue previously report by green Tesla has been getting rid of computers without wiping them — compromising customer accounts - Electrek). This is a good thing for security but, if the back up fails (this service center says the success rate is about 60%), they can’t restore the settings.

Once they have the back up, they restore it to the new MCU and it either works or it doesn’t.

Now on to the good stuff.

3. The UI is a DREAM! Trip calculations are ridiculously fast, I see animations on the UI that didn't work on old MCU or was too choppy to think it was an animation.

4. LTE Coverage is much much higher in all areas I'm driving in (put 250 miles so far since picking up the car yesterday) and the web browser works for every website.

5. IC is also very smooth and shows much nicer transitions and animations.

6. FM radio is gone. Expected, and before I took the car in I did create my FM radio favorites in the TuneIn app (For those that haven’t explored, you can navigate the FM radios by location in TuneIn to favorite in case voice search doesn’t bring it up). Slightly annoying thing about the FM radio missing, and this may be my light OCD kicking in, but the spacing of icons under music is off. On the left, icons are tightly spaced but as it moves right towards USB, it gets a little wider.

7. Dashcam is recording. Although I can't seem to access the 60 min loop on the dashcam viewer. In reading the manual again it seems the viewer is only for Sentry and Saved clips not the 60 min loop. The 60 min loop is on the drive though. I'm guessing they didn't want to constantly index the 60 min loop recording folder.

Other interesting notes:

8. Rear camera is much brighter than before. I know others have reported this before, its true.

9. Notifications volume is definitely louder. I might have to turn on Joe mode.

10. No traffic signal control initially. Nav database was up to date (it was downloading while I was at service center and continued downloading while I was driving connected to hotspot) but I'm seeing online reports that it will take some additional time. Tried reboot, walking away and letting the car sleep for 5 mins, no luck. This morning it was available.

11. Highway AP is not any better or worse than AP2 I had before. Don’t expect anything significant here. Maybe when PlaidNet rolls out it will be better on highways.

12. City AP is somewhat better but not a whole lot. Not counting visualizations obviously.

13. Car recognizes two usb drives I have (1 for music and another for sentry/dashcam). I thought it should but wasn't sure until now.

14. They didn't unplug or mess with the diagnostics port. I have two diagnostics connectors attached with an OBD splitter and they are still connected and working fine.

15. Interesting change people may not know come from old MCU 1 cars- a reboot using scroll wheels reboots both MCU and IC (as opposed to individual reboots available on MCU 1)

16. Tesla Paramus did a test drive and calibrated AP functions before giving the car back. Only thing that needed additional calibration was No Confirm NoA and Smart Summon.

Long and short of it, definitely a great upgrade. Highly recommend it if you're planning on holding on to the car for a while. But if you do, make a checklist to make sure you're set after the upgrade

15. Interesting change people may not know come from old MCU 1 cars- a reboot using scroll wheels reboots both MCU and IC (as opposed to individual reboots available on MCU 1)

That is because the IC is now just a second display powered by the MCU instead of being a separate computer like it was with MCU1/IC1.

On a completely unrelated and fun note, who else here renames the loaners for fun? :)

IMG_8617.jpeg