Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bluetooth volume control changed. On MCU1, I would set my phone Bluetooth volume all the way up and then adjust the car's audio to obtain decent volume. Now, the phone's Bluetooth volume is directly connected to the car's volume. Turn up the phone's Bluetooth to the max and the car goes to "11". Decrease the car's volume, and the phone's Bluetooth volume decreases similarly. I discovered this with some pain to my ears when I instinctively just shoved my phone's Bluetooth to the max.

What you're describing here is called "Absolute Volume" - a feature that couples phone (the source) and media unit (the sink) volume controls. If you have an Android phone, you can easily disable it and volume of the source and the sink will separate giving you functionality you used to, just search "Android Bluetooth disable absolute volume"

How long does it take to calibrate the cameras? I drove about 70 miles, and saw the calibration percentage swing up and down between 93-97% (ironic watching it go down).

Also, what's the latest maps version? It downloaded NA-2020.12-11866, but still says "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control requires updated maps" (on 2020.20.17).
It took me about 50 miles over two days to calibrate the cameras. I picked up my Model S and drove home, about 12 miles, and I got up to 98% calibrated. The next morning the calibration was at 95% and I had to drive it around 40 miles to calibrate the cameras.

The message that says you need to upgrade your maps will go away after the cameras calibrate. Your stop light/stop sign feature cannot be activated until the calibration is complete.

You have the latest map data.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Scheduled my appointment for ap1 mcu1 upgrade to mcu2. Cant wait
I suggest staying on top of the service appointment in the app. These guys are so busy almost everywhere that lots of things drop through the cracks, and on occasion they just outright lie.

Example, I was helping my sister schedule her car for an HW3 / MCU2 upgrade. The appointment was confirmed 4 weeks ago in the San Francisco bay area. They waited two weeks to send the quote which indicated keeping the current touchscreen. However we clearly indicated in the initial request for a NEW touchscreen. After we immediately said no, please change the order, they wait another week to reply and then said the touchscreen has been ordered. After 5 days we see the order was just now placed which means the rep gave wrong information when he said "I ordered this part this morning" (5 days ago). Here we are 2 days before the appointment and the part will not arrive by then, so we have to reschedule and the next date is another 3 weeks.

These service centers need to get their act together. Perhaps they need more help.

Has anyone with unlimited Premium Connectivity confirm they kept it going from MCU1 to MCU2? I know it should stay with the car and not the MCU, but I am not about to pay $2500 and then pay $10/month.
Yeah, you keep it
upload_2020-7-14_13-23-31.png

They don't replace the cameras. I suspect what the service center was telling him is it takes longer because it is not just a simple component swap out. Additional cables between the (new) MCU2 and the (new) AP3 computer need to be run that are not necessary for an AP2.5 upgrade, so it just takes longer.

why would they add an AP3 computer to an AP1 car as part of the mcu2 upgrade. It would not have the camera data.

I suggest staying on top of the service appointment in the app. These guys are so busy almost everywhere that lots of things drop through the cracks, and on occasion they just outright lie.

Example, I was helping my sister schedule her car for an HW3 / MCU2 upgrade. The appointment was confirmed 4 weeks ago in the San Francisco bay area. They waited two weeks to send the quote which indicated keeping the current touchscreen. However we clearly indicated in the initial request for a NEW touchscreen. After we immediately said no, please change the order, they wait another week to reply and then said the touchscreen has been ordered. After 5 days we see the order was just now placed which means the rep gave wrong information when he said "I ordered this part this morning" (5 days ago). Here we are 2 days before the appointment and the part will not arrive by then, so we have to reschedule and the next date is another 3 weeks.

These service centers need to get their act together. Perhaps they need more help.

That is for the advice and will keep on top of things. I have a good friend who works there and doing most of all this for me so I should be ok on this. Chat with him almost daily and hes kept me updated well when car is in shop

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You don't care if it was replaced or not, as long as you get a new warranty on the display.

That's what I concluded. I also had both items and asked whether nodisp for the second work item meant no MCU display replacement and they said that they did all the swaps that I paid for which, to me, meant the screen too but there is ambiguity and I don't really care since they are the same but I wanted the warranty because 4 years helps bring that part to the end of my battery and drive unit warranty.

Great thread.

Asking for advice as apparently my (eMMC defective?) MCU went out just last night.

Curious for any advice on dealing with my service center SC on:

• a) how to get the best hardware and

• b) how to best explore if there may be a labor break on the MCU2 install as they'd be doing an MCU1 replacement anyway but with an MCU1 which would fail again sometime in +/- 5 yrs. I have a 42/mo warranty remaining on my CPO and that, with luck, would fail again just outside of the warranty.

is it real that I could get on my 2015 Model S P85D wAP1 a MCU2 and a HW3 computer? (Earlier I understood MCU2 was only for AP2/2.5+ hardware)? Sentry mode and USB video (even off the 1 front camera) would be very helpful.

Seems MCU2 could also take a while to arrive? But as my car is driveable, charges, blows ac on low and I can connect to my car via app to change it I think, it seems possible I could limp along until a MCU2 comes in?

I scheduled a service appt but it is a couple weeks out, haven't been contacted by SC yet, appreciate any advice you can give - thanks in advance.

I take my car in Friday for MCU2 and HW3 upgrade, they confirmed they have parts on-hand, however in the paperwork I see 1 part that indicates WITH touch screen, yet the other part indicates NO DISP:

*confused*

View attachment 564558

So....which is it?
I had the same part number ordered, but then the final service was the following with the display included as a separate part. You need to just verify what the service center is actually planning to do. Very tough to do prior to the actual visit with the poor communication Tesla excels at.

BTW, the $250 adjustment was after I questioned what had been done after the service was completed, stating that I was not expecting a screen replacement, but instead a $250 discount. They honored the discount despite replacing the screen because it was poorly communicated.

upload_2020-7-14_18-21-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-14_18-18-40.png
    upload_2020-7-14_18-18-40.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: FlatSix911
As an aside, speaking with my local SC manager today - he mentioned that when they do my wife's MCU1/HW1 -> MCU2 upgrade, its going to be a substantially longer service visit because they will effectively install a HW2.5 computer in addition to the MCU2 upgrade. Probably been discussed but I thought i'd mention it.
Seemed odd to me as well but he was adamant about it. He did say specifically 2.5 computer but who knows

Just to clarify, when you say "HW1" you mean AP1 (and not AP2.0)? Because if so, I think there's a communication breakdown somewhere along the line. There's no reason for Tesla to upgrade an AP1 car to AP2.x or AP3.0. I think he meant something different (i.e. more harnesses to replace for the MCU2 upgrade in an AP1 car). An AP2.x upgrade would require adding 4 more cameras where none existed before (two fender cameras and two B pillar cameras), upgrading 12 ultrasonic sensors, installing a new AP2.5 CPU where none existed before, and all the associated mounting, wiring, and harnesses. That would pretty much be a full strip-down. (see: Tesla Autopilot AP1 vs AP2 vs AP3 - Differences Explained - AutoPilot Review) And again why would they do that? You never paid for AP2.x/AP3 or EAP or FSD. I'm pretty sure when your wifes car has the MCU2 upgrade, it won't get an AP2.5 upgrade and what he said isn't what he actually meant.

... I'm pretty sure when your wifes car has the MCU2 upgrade, it won't get an AP2.5 upgrade and what he said isn't what he actually meant.

I think think this is what I was keying in on in my comment above when I said:

is it real that I could get on my 2015 Model S P85D wAP1 a MCU2 and a HW3 computer?.

Sigh. Seems like I could get a MCU2 upgrade in my HW1.0 AP1 vehicle but I understand from other posts that I wouldn't get dash cam video from front nor sentry (no side cams) so I'd be without some of the benefits of MCU2.