Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20200809_145253.jpg

Guess I don't have a choice now. Just passed 50k miles and told them about my concerns at my last appointment. Really hope NHTSA royally screws them and Elons beloved stock crashes

View attachment 574237

Guess I don't have a choice now. Just passed 50k miles and told them about my concerns at my last appointment. Really hope NHTSA royally screws them and Elons beloved stock crashes
If you had legitimate symptoms that they were able to verify prior to the expiration of your warranty then technically you should have a case for getting them to Goodwill you are replacement. As it's an expensive part they may try to fight you on it but if you had valid concerns prior to the expiration of your warranty you likely also have a strong case for getting them to replace it for you under the warranty that just expired since the part was already clearly failing before the end of your warranty. Just know that Tesla's sole focus of being in existence is currently profit so they're doing everything that they can to avoid fixing cars under warranty so be prepared for a likely fight.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA and Gt1948
If you had legitimate symptoms that they were able to verify prior to the expiration of your warranty then technically you should have a case for getting them to Goodwill you are replacement. As it's an expensive part they may try to fight you on it but if you had valid concerns prior to the expiration of your warranty you likely also have a strong case for getting them to replace it for you under the warranty that just expired since the part was already clearly failing before the end of your warranty. Just know that Tesla's sole focus of being in existence is currently profit so they're doing everything that they can to avoid fixing cars under warranty so be prepared for a likely fight.

Very shady what they did. I originally noted it in the app on my appointment. When I got there the tech didn't mention it and it wasn't in the app anymore. I asked and he said oh they looked remotely and saw nothing. Just keep doing a double wheel reboot if needed. The final invoice never showed my original complaint

The same thing for me -- absolutely no turn signals (i.e. no indicators on the dash, no signal sound, and no signal lights for other motorists to see). I still had my hazard lights, so I used my hazards to somewhat signal turns (to at least distinguish myself from BMW drivers).

Ah we have this all wrong. Elon should just tweet out that a dead MCU with no signal lights is just the new "BMW Mode" being activated. :)

Still absolutely tickled pink that color side repeater cam swap on HW2.0 worked flawlessly.

Did you swap the side repeater cameras ? I have a MCU1 HW2, going in for the MCU2 HW3 upgrade on Tues. I thought the side repeater cameras on my 2017 S90D are black and white, and that they don't change any cameras - only that the software may be able to simulate colors as best as possible from the data it receives from them.

Have noted In other post that it seemed my MCU2 upgrade made the sound better. I ordered my 2015 S with the premium sound option at that time. After the MCU 2 upgrade, I felt it sounded better. Tonight, I made sure to check out everything on the New MCU, all settings, home link, log ins, phone app functions, Spotify, WiFi connections, etc. There is a lot to do.

Got to singing along with Karaoke, so cool. The door panels were vibrating my knee. That’s a 1st. So I went into the Sound settings menu & all were at the default setting, zeroed out. I adjusted them, and the sound now is incredible, concert hall! Why I paid $2k for premium sound...It’s paying off.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Did you get an email or just scheduled appt?

Any problems with install?

I’m asking because the Long Island S.C. told me they haven’t done any.
I just put an appointment request in saying that my MCU was on it’s last legs with difficulty rebooting and freezing up/being slow and requested the MCU upgrade. I was given the option of with or without the screen (definitely go with the screen, though I think that’s why the backup camera is dark- (so much more contrast in the newer screens!) A couple weeks went by and the parts arrived, scheduled the install. Fairly flawless, though I am waiting on resolution to the common complaint that my a couple buttons in the app don’t work (unlock, frunk, trunk).

Have noted In other post that it seemed my MCU2 upgrade made the sound better. I ordered my 2015 S with the premium sound option at that time. After the MCU 2 upgrade, I felt it sounded better. So I went into the Sound settings menu & all were at the default setting, zeroed out. I adjusted them, and the sound now is incredible, concert hall!

Hey @Miles88, do you mind sharing your EQ settings for us non-audiophiles?

Last edited:
Adding another data point: 2012 Model S 85 120K miles (pre-sensor, pre-autopilot) upgraded to MCU 2 last Friday. One week prior, touchscreen/MCU 1 failed - would not boot up touchscreen, stuck on last settings which meant climate control ran for a week straight, no audio, able to drive and charge. I also had bubbles in the IC and yellow bands on the touchscreen which was replaced a year ago for bubbles. When I made the service appointment, I feared I was destined for a refurbished MCU1 with a replacement EMMC chip and I would be paying for it out of pocket since I was out of warranty. Virginia Beach Service Center called me and offered the MCU upgrade for $2500. Apparently, they had an MCU2 ordered for an AP1 owner that changed their mind about the upgrade. Lucky me. Install took about 5 hours. No settings transferred, so I had to redo driver profiles and Homelink settings, etc. Overall I am very happy with the upgrade. The video support, caraoke and new games are all super fun. More than that, everything loads faster (especially maps) the browser is actually usable again and i'm not constantly worried about the imminent failure of the flash memory. I feel like I just extended the car's lifespan by years. I was told I was the second pre-AP car that they had upgraded to MCU2 at that service center. That one was also with an MCU failure.

Did you swap the side repeater cameras ? I have a MCU1 HW2, going in for the MCU2 HW3 upgrade on Tues. I thought the side repeater cameras on my 2017 S90D are black and white, and that they don't change any cameras - only that the software may be able to simulate colors as best as possible from the data it receives from them.
Yes there is another thread around here that a few of us have posted in about swapping out HW3 repeaters on HW2 cars. (click my profile to see my replies in that thread). The side repeaters are NOT black and white they just can't see all the colors. Swapping out the repeaters for newer ones improves the dashcam/sentry footage with no (current) issues with AP.

Reactions: captjoemcd
Wow! If your turn signals don't work, document it by recording a video and those Tesla technicians would be interested. Turn signals not working would make this a much bigger problem for them. Make them sweat a little.

Already got my free MCU1 replacement and then upgraded to mcu2. Just telling what my MCU1 failure involved. It started with turn signal noises failing and other issues but devolved into total failure.

• Informative
Reactions: Michelx