Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very shady what they did. I originally noted it in the app on my appointment. When I got there the tech didn't mention it and it wasn't in the app anymore. I asked and he said oh they looked remotely and saw nothing. Just keep doing a double wheel reboot if needed. The final invoice never showed my original complaint
Ya, the same happened to me. I was asked verbally when dropping it off and they dropped it. I figured screw it - not worth arguing over. I can't see how a recall doesn't occur.
Why would it make a bigger problem for them?
Totally agree. Put it on a google drive (has a link) you can then share that with NHTSA in a complaint (since you can't upload videos). Also can share with Tesla.

I think the insinuation is that it is a legitimate safety issue vs. a matter of inconvenience.
Is it? Or maybe the gun someone is holding to their head for and forcing them to drive an "unsafe car" is what makes it unsafe? Oops, I didn't see a reference to a gun, so that must mean they be driving a so called unsafe car voluntarily? In which case, its a choice and they simply don't have to.

If the brake line burst on your car while you were driving it, would you keep driving it or pull over and park until its fixed? So how is this turn signal issue different?

In order for the NHTSA to prompt actual action, the complaint in question needs to be safety related. As of now, MCU failures just seem to be "Woe is me, my first world backup camera isn't working and I can't change the AC, give me free things, NHSTA Gods!"

As we get actual, legitimate safety concerns like lane indicators, it becomes less of a whine and more of a real safety concern.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
Last night was the first time driving our Model S at night since we got the MCU2 Upgrade. As others have stated the back up camera is much darker. Hoping a future software update can fix it.
I had a 2013 MCU1 P85+, then later got a new (in 2018) Model X that came with MCU2. The dark backup camera isn't an upgraded MCU2 thing (as in a retrofit issue), it's just a straight up MCU2 thing. Always been like that since it was first released a few years back and I don't think it's going get better through software at this point.

That said, it's not bad during the day really, just night time it's hugely different.

Last edited:
I had a 2013 MCU1 P85+, then later got a new (in 2018) Model X that came with MCU2. The dark backup camera isn't a upgraded MCU2 thing, it's just a straight up MCU2 thing. Always been like that since it was first released a few years back and I don't think it's going get better through software at this point.

That said, it's not bad during the day really, just night time it's hugely different.
Definitely passable during the day. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Akikiki
Just got the MCU2 upgrade on an early 2014 S85 AP0 without tech package. MCU1 had failed and it sat in the garage for a while waiting for this upgrade. Since I don't have the tech package, I don't have navigation and that carried over to MCU2, so no navigation. Also I don't have a power liftgate.

Wait how do they restrict navigation. So what displays on your center screen while you drive

Reactions: captjoemcd
Wait how do they restrict navigation. So what displays on your center screen while you drive

It's a software flag of some type. Driver profiles and navigation are disabled. Service center actually contacted me to say they got errors trying to migrate my driver profiles. I told them that's because there aren't any, lol. As for what I see, I get the same overview map with traffic but can't do anything with it other than search for stuff. No option to navigate to anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka and GSP
It's a software flag of some type. Driver profiles and navigation are disabled. Service center actually contacted me to say they got errors trying to migrate my driver profiles. I told them that's because there aren't any, lol. As for what I see, I get the same overview map with traffic but can't do anything with it other than search for stuff. No option to navigate to anything.

Interesting. Very strange Tesla still enforces that. Theyve upgraded people to 4g for free. Restricting navigation seems so odd

I have a May 2017 S AP 2.0. FSD upgrade was completed 6 weeks ago. They just got the parts for the MCU2 upgrade (I wanted a new screen which delayed install by 2 months). When I researched on here before I saw someone posted a link to a comprehensive “test this” list when taking delivery. Things like, ensure the phone app will unlock the car, that summons works, etc.

can anyone point me to a comprehensive list of tests?

thanks.

And at one point in 2016, Tesla would install the navigation only without the tech package for $1k

Yes, and this was if you had premium sound option but not tech package. There were two MCUs, one was installed if you got the tech package and/or premium sound, the other was installed if you got neither. I didn't have premium sound so when I tried to upgrade years ago they told me my MCU was incompatible.

Just got the offer to upgrade to MCU2 on my pre-AP S, which has been having some likely eMMC-related issues over the past few months... Would those of you that have done the upgrade say it's worth it for the non-AP related upgrades? The fact I won't have to worry at all about the MCU failing in the future is a plus, but I'm curious what the true benefits would be outside of "it's just faster."

Would those of you that have done the upgrade say it's worth it for the non-AP related upgrades? The fact I won't have to worry at all about the MCU failing in the future is a plus, but I'm curious what the true benefits would be outside of "it's just faster."

I'm looking forward to getting mine done next week. The screens being replaced is a huge value in my decision. I think I had been quoted $1800 for my instrument cluster that's bubbling. Sadly I replaced the center screen last fall for the same issue for around $1200. I'm also hoping voice controls are better as I've found them unusable since the spring. I have kids who'll love access to the new games too.

I think the "it's just faster" will make it feel newer to me. I'm also driving it ~38K a year though, if I didn't use it so much it would be tougher to rationalize.

Your car will behave better than it did when it was brand new. It won't stop or hide any rattles, but how the screen behaves, responds, how the maps and browser works, the improvement in sound are such a refresh, you will have no doubt this was a wise choice. Have you read here, anyone that said they regretted doing it? Or said anything bad about doing it after? Not me.

For AP2 it also brought back the functionality of getting out of the passing lane when in NoA, although this is more of an HW3 thing, but still part of the upgrade.

For those with standard audio, someone in another thread mentioned that the rear door speakers feel very low volume and no bass. Mine were like this prior to the update too. I wonder if someone can chime in on whether the rear speakers are really supposed to have similar sound to the front door speakers.

Reactions: captjoemcd