Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MCU has nothing to do with seeing traffic cones.
Not true. If by "seeing traffic cones" you mean them appearing on the display. MCU1 will NOT display traffic cones. AP3 hardware sees and processes them, but MCU1 lacks the horsepower to display them. You need MCU2 and the updated IC display (which is driven by MCU2) in order to get the advanced visualization (including traffic cones and traffic pylons).

is that documented somewhere? I had EAP and really just wanted real sentry + dashcam; was told I had to buy FSD for HW3. So I did. Now I have MCU1 + HW3 and it *sucks*. I would have gladly paid less money for better functionality...

Yes many other owners bought mcu2 and got hw3 without FSD purchased. Tesla has only mcu2 kits that include hw3.

Told not possible at the moment but that doesn't actually make any sense to me.

It might be possible. I originally requested an Infotainment upgrade & HW3 together for my FSD retrofit. However, SC ordered MCU2 without display. on the day of the appointment, I decided not to perform the MCU upgrade and wanted to try MCU1 + HW3. The service advisor told me I can always upgrade later if I am not happy.

After using MCU1+HW3 for a week, I was convinced that I need MCU2. Since MCU1 rebooted twice & Sentry videos were useless (worst than HW2.5). I was able to set up another service appointment a week later and upgraded the MCU2 with a screen. Luckily, the Service center still had my original MCU2 kit and they added screen from their inventory.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I will have to disagree. My MCU1 car got the HW3 upgrade a month ago, and it has never shown traffic cones.

I think he means, the car "sees" them. We just don't get them displayed on the screen so you have to trust the car actually does see them. It probably does see them but I don't trust it enough. Being able to see them on the IC would provide more peace of mind. I'm more so referring to not just cones on the side of the side, but cones being use to split lanes, merge, etc. Too dangerous in those situations to test it out and just trust the car explicitly.

Reactions: croman
I will have to disagree. My MCU1 car got the HW3 upgrade a month ago, and it has never shown traffic cones.

I think Mike is saying despite it not being visualized the hw3 still detects the cone. But I've actually seen my hw2 mcu1 car previously stop for cones to fail completely before my upgrade. Driver not knowing what exactly the system sees is a big issue for FSD.

Reactions: viper2ko
is that documented somewhere? I had EAP and really just wanted real sentry + dashcam; was told I had to buy FSD for HW3. So I did. Now I have MCU1 + HW3 and it *sucks*. I would have gladly paid less money for better functionality...

MCU2 upgrade includes HW3

I'm not convinced that this is true universally across all service centers. I tried a couple of times scheduling a MCU2 upgrade for my 2017 AP2.0/MCU1 car that only has basic autopilot enabled (not EAP). When I spoke to the service rep from the Princeton, NJ SC on the phone, I made it clear that I was only paying the $2500 if it also included the AP3 hardware upgrade (minus the cameras). They told me no, I had to pay for FSD. The second time, the guy actually said yes the hardware upgrade was included but when I asked for that statement in writing to confirm, he then backed off and changed his story to tell me no, the HW3 upgrade was not included.

If you have EAP, I'm willing to believe they'll treat that like having FSD and upgrade the hardware to HW3. I haven't heard of any situations around here locally that Tesla will upgrade the AP2.0 hardware in cars that only have basic or no autopilot service enabled.

Driver not knowing what exactly the system sees is a big issue for FSD.
I completely disagree with this. Simply look out your windshield; if the car is not behaving properly, take control. If you are watching the display of eye-candy instead of looking out the windows, you are a distracted driver.

Are you going to be one of those drivers who say, "I wanted to see if it would stop before it hit the fire engine."?

I completely disagree with this. Simply look out your windshield; if the car is not behaving properly, take control. If you are watching the display of eye-candy instead of looking out the windows, you are a distracted driver.

Are you going to be one of those drivers who say, "I wanted to see if it would stop before it hit the fire engine."?

I see. You are one of those people that like figuring out whether your car will stop for a red light by looking out the windshield and emergency braking when it makes a mistake? Or do you just do it yourself and pat yourself on the back for doing what the FSD option you bought should be doing?

Stop signs must be deadly tense games of chicken with pedestrians and cross-traffic.

I don't understand how you infer wanting know what the system perceives with "watching eye-candy" -- its a sham argument and completely misses the point.

I was on the wait list, but made an appointment via the app under the "Touchscreen" option for mobile service instead of the "Infotainment Upgrade" (which just puts you on the wait list). They canceled the mobile service and rescheduled me for Labor Day at the Owings Mills, MD service center. I was very skeptical, but went and they turned the car around (2013 85) the same day. They told me they had the parts in stock. Price was $2500 plus tax.

On my drive home, I realized the screen was installed crooked. I texted the service center when I got home. They drove to my house (about an hour) the next day and dropped a loaner off and the guy drove my car back to the service center. It's currently being fixed.

The key lessons are that you don't need to be on the wait list. Make an in person appointment and see what they say. Also, make sure the screen was installed straight before you go home.

Last edited: