Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are doing the daughterboard replacement for me. I asked if there was a discount on the $1500 MCU2 unit if I just had them do that instead.
They said no, because $1500 was a lower price than before which makes no sense as to why no discount. Most likely there is no way to key it into the system.
So I'm just doing the daughterboard fix for the Flash memory problem. If it works ok, I will hold off on the MCU2, as it sounds like this could just be asking for trouble.
No, the MCU2 is lightyears ahead of the MCU1. Absolutely no comparison, it's like a different car.
The only negative for the MCU2 is that for about half the people in a recent survey, occasionally it takes a few minutes to connect to the cellular network when starting a drive.

Reactions: mspohr
The only negative for the MCU2 is that for about half the people in a recent survey, occasionally it takes a few minutes to connect to the cellular network when starting a drive.

Yep, I have that. Also if it looses signal for some reason, it can take minutes to reconnect. It's actually faster to just reboot with scroll wheels at that point. Reboot is really fast on MCU2.

But this is quite rare problem. Other than that I really love the upgrade, and I only have pre-AP car so I didn't have the autopilot improvements.

Yep, I have that. Also if it looses signal for some reason, it can take minutes to reconnect. It's actually faster to just reboot with scroll wheels at that point. Reboot is really fast on MCU2.

But this is quite rare problem. Other than that I really love the upgrade, and I only have pre-AP car so I didn't have the autopilot improvements.
My MCU1 occasionally looses connection to LTE (I paid the $500 yrs ago for this upgrade). It stopped doing that for some reason recently. Then it goes into periods where the songs on slacker lose connection and it changes songs at whatever point connection was lost. But it has mysteriously stopped doing that.
I'm hearing votes that MCU2 is worth it.

I know there is a chip shortage currently, but any chance we get the AMD powered MC3 upgrade for the AP1 cars?
The only MCU3 cars are the refreshed S/X, which have a totally different center screen setup. Really unlikely they will ever do a design to fit the older S/X cars. MCU2 retrofit because it was designed to be a drop in production change without any other changes to the vehicle.

For me getting MCU2, it was like getting a new car. Screen was better looking, more responsive, better cellular signal, better audio, video streaming which I use frequently when charging… worth every penny

But what about on really early builds my car is vin# 162 Signature. I've been considering the upgrade. I skipped it when my emmc failed because there was no path forward for me to keep my XM, AM, FM radios. But that has been solved of late. I'm currently looking at bubbling in my instrument cluster, just don't know how effective this upgrade will be on really early builds such as mine. Anyone out there upgrade a Signature car?

But what about on really early builds my car is vin# 162 Signature. I've been considering the upgrade. I skipped it when my emmc failed because there was no path forward for me to keep my XM, AM, FM radios. But that has been solved of late. I'm currently looking at bubbling in my instrument cluster, just don't know how effective this upgrade will be on really early builds such as mine. Anyone out there upgrade a Signature car?
There was a thread on how to prevent further bubbling. It involved some gorilla glue foam and removing both the center screen and the front dash screen. My car has the leaky/bubbling screen both on the dash and center screen.

I know there have been owners with AP1 cars that have upgraded to MCU2, I'm not sure about anyone that is pre-AP. But I remember one local owner commenting in the MN Tesla Club on Facebook that the cost of MCU2 was more affordable than just paying to replace the delaminated screen so that's what motivated him to buy it for his AP1 Model S.

Reactions: mspohr and brkaus

I know there have been owners with AP1 cars that have upgraded to MCU2, I'm not sure about anyone that is pre-AP. But I remember one local owner commenting in the MN Tesla Club on Facebook that the cost of MCU2 was more affordable than just paying to replace the delaminated screen so that's what motivated him to buy it for his AP1 Model S.
Go back and look at post #7363; @Zuikkis has an earlier model. @tccartier do you still have the Gen1 cluster then? I am not sure if the different energy display graphics were changed with an update; it will be updated to the new style if you get the MCU2 of course.
download.jpg

I dont have a Signature car but I remember reading a post of someone with Pre-AP (original circle energy graph) getting it done and it worked great and there was even a noticeable improvement in color on the Instrument cluster as well. I did the MCU2 upgrade on my AP1 car and I would highly recommend it!