Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received PTO a week ago. System was running fine until a few days ago when the app reported no production. I reinstalled the app and sent a ping to the gateway. Assumption is that the problem exists within the inverter. Submitted a ticket to Tesla and waiting for reply...
You have powerwalls? What did you see logging into the inverter(s) directly? Mine was just turned on but no confirmation from Tesla on the PTO yet. Looking at performance closely since the utility connect the meters.

Received PTO a week ago. System was running fine until a few days ago when the app reported no production. I reinstalled the app and sent a ping to the gateway. Assumption is that the problem exists within the inverter. Submitted a ticket to Tesla and waiting for reply...
4/12/21 Update: Ticket submitted 4/10/21. Text and email response from Tesla received 4/12/21. Notification to schedule a service date for inverter.

4/12/21 Update: Ticket submitted 4/10/21. Text and email response from Tesla received 4/12/21. Notification to schedule a service date for inverter.
4/15/21 Update: I received an email with instructions to contact Tesla. In less than 2 minutes I was on the line with a person, Taneesha (sp?). She was very receptive and helpful in performing a system reset. Unfortunately, the reset was not the solution, and after 24-hours I received a service date and time on my Tesla app.

You have powerwalls? What did you see logging into the inverter(s) directly? Mine was just turned on but no confirmation from Tesla on the PTO yet. Looking at performance closely since the utility connect the meters.
Yes, we have a powerwall. I did not log into the inverter. I just located the ip address assigned to the gateway by my dhcp server and sent an echo/ping request to see if it was up. The PTO process takes some time. I would imagine this process will become more efficient as the bigger picture adapts to its new surroundings.

4/15/21 Update: I received an email with instructions to contact Tesla. In less than 2 minutes I was on the line with a person, Taneesha (sp?). She was very receptive and helpful in performing a simple reset.
4/15/21 Update: I received an email with instructions to contact Tesla. In less than 2 minutes I was on the line with a person, Taneesha (sp?). She was very receptive and helpful in performing a system reset. Unfortunately, the reset was not the solution, and after 24-hours I received a service date and time on my Tesla app.
4/22/21 Update: Tesla service date was scheduled for today. I received an text from Tesla informing me that my service date had been moved up and they would be out earlier than expected. Chad, a Tesla service technician, arrived on time and was very knowledgeable. After an assessment and firmware update my system is back up and running.
Overall, my experience was very positive. Great customer service, follow up and response time.

Reactions: cobra
They are definitely on top of monitoring the new inverters. They called me today asking for permission to come out as they noticed a voltage issue on one string. Appears to be fine from what I could observe - outputting too much perhaps.

The firmware has seen a LOT of updates and there is some interesting stuff in there that isn’t yet exposed. Will dumb in a separate thread.

Reactions: T..C
Today is the first day since official activation. I got the new inverter and can see my energy production as well as consumption (although I do not have powerwall). Now something interesting happened. I see two big dips on a completely cloudless sunny day. Then the home consumption dropped simultaneously, indicating that there are some major issues with the software or converter. I have a pic here and you will know what I mean. It is indeed hard to convince the customer service that there is issue with my system.
Hi! Have you received any update on this? My system has been doing the same thing and started on our second day of production. I've called Tesla about it and they are working on it, but haven't setup anything yet to come out and take a look at the system

Hi! Have you received any update on this? My system has been doing the same thing and started on our second day of production. I've called Tesla about it and they are working on it, but haven't setup anything yet to come out and take a look at the system
My PTO was on 3/4/2021 and I have had nothing but issues with my Tesla solar panels (I could write pages about my experience, but the overall value is good). They first came out after a few weeks with a crew to rewire everything on the roof (and broke five tiles without repairing), then a technician came out weeks later because my app was also showing home usage when my panels were generating energy. The technician started moving wires around in the Tesla inverter as inst
Screenshot-20210520-155237.png
ructed by technical support on his cell phone. He said all is good, but when I looked at app production there was no change to performance (and still showing increased energy consumption when the sun is up). When I asked about it, he said it was an "app issue." After weeks passed, I demanded they come out again. This time he actually went up on the roof and found some bad panel connections. My app showed improved energy production, but it was still showing increased consumption when producing energy. I asked him to reverse the CTs (current transformers) to see if they were installed backwards, but the app just showed worse numbers. Ultimately he once again said it is an issue with the app/software but the amount going back to the grid is correct. I explained how I wanted the app to report correctly after this service appointment, since I was not confident offsite support would address the issue promptly. He called his support team and we walked through things, but they ultimately stated they are having some software issues with the new Tesla inverters and they are working on a software patch. The technician then showed me how to read my electrical meter, which was showing 6.5kW going back to the grid when my app was only showing 3.0kW back to the grid. In this attached image, you can see how my home consumption is erroneously increasing when the panels are producing (7kW produced and 4kW used, with 3 kW to the grid - but actual meter showed 6.5kW back to the grid, meaning usage was normal at 0.5kW). I did receive some comfort seeing how my meter reporting proper energy levels. In short, I think there is a software issue with the Tesla inverters and the key is too look at app production but manually calculate home usage by deducting the amount going back to the grid (per the electrical meter). FYI, the big home use increases in the photo represent my hot tub cycling.

I'm having the same issue as @JCLJorgenson - the app showing production at nearly exactly 1/2 the proposed production (max 3.2 kW on a 8.16 kW build). Reading above - it sounds like this is an app issue? @houser2021 - what issue were you having that they ended up replacing the Inverter (twice) for?

Side note - Tesla didn't install anything for me to monitor consumption or what's going back to the grid - I can only see production. Can I ask for this to be installed? Seems like a big miss.

Hi @Powderkeg and @T..C - you both mentioned that you filed tickets. Have both of you already gotten PTO? Did you file a ticket through the website or app?

I'm still waiting on PTO (inspection passed 6/2/2021), but have had inverter issues (Inverter over temperature errors) since day 1 (install 5/17/2021). [8.16kW system with a single Powerwall. Originally my order (placed 4/15/2021) specified a SolarEdge Inverter. When installers came out, they were all surprised to see the horizontally-oriented "brand new" Tesla inverter, which none of them had ever worked with. Great.]

I'm in San Jose, CA, and especially as we go through this latest heat wave, I'm increasingly frustrated that within an hour of the system being on (even in the cooler mornings), my paid for system is effectively useless, giving me output like this:
1623957930828.png

I keep kicking myself for not withholding payment (did I really need those Southwest points) until they fixed the issue.

I've been regularly calling Tesla's very nice (but clearly tier 1) "Project Advisors" who confirm that "your issue is being tracked in the system". Previously I've been told the notes say that the solution might be a field service procedure to top off the coolant, OR they'll have to RMA the whole thing.

(On 5/19/2021, I emailed the Installer whose email was left in my TEG (https://192.168.91.1/api/installer), and on 5/20/2021, I got a visit from a technician who patiently hung out for an hour until the inverter again overheated and got on the line with "tier 2 support". It was actually this technician that first told me about the possible field service procedure.)

Most recently they told me that someone from scheduling should be in touch "soon" to have somebody come out to "remidate" (sic) the inverter issue, and also patch some holes in the roof. Crap, neither the San Jose inspector nor the Tesla technician who worked with him told me anything about that. :-/

Time to order a copy of that inspection report.

Anyways, mainly here to commiserate and share info. Friends in the area have gotten vertically-oriented Tesla inverters, and so far, no issues for them. SO frustrating. :-{

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Update: New firmware "hides" errors, seems to smooth out spikes, but results in much less power generation. Supposedly there's only ONE TECH in the Bay Area (or possibly Northern California!?) that can top off coolant in inverters, and he does not have a vehicle. Oy.

Interesting. I’m in Massachusetts and recently got 3 inverters (7.6) installed. Two of them are having issues with specific strings. The crew were quick to blame the MCI-1 and are coming back on Wednesday. The symptoms being (1) strings not appearing, (2) low volt / high amp.

does anyone know how you can login without doing a power cycle? Hard to see what it’s doing without that.

Dave, I am having the same issue you mentioned with super low voltage and high amps. Im generating .3Kw in full sun on my 8.16Kw system. Can you tell me the issue was?