Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And he has reimposed the jones act. Why in the heck is that allowed on even exist?!

There isn't a jones act for the US mainland .
Que? The Jones act was introduced for the mainland, and certainly has force.
Section 27 of the Jones Act deals with cabotage (coastwise trade) and requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.

I thought the quote was pretty clear... it applies between US ports, such as the mainland and San Juan PR. It also applied to getting relief to/from Houston, the Florida Keys, New Orleans...

Random Thought

It couldn't apply generally to U.S. ports as trading partners would have a fit. Also, the U.S. industry since it generally seeks foreign registry as a work-around for union, safety rules and, I suppose, liability considerations.

Random Thought

It couldn't apply generally to U.S. ports as trading partners would have a fit. Also, the U.S. industry since it generally seeks foreign registry as a work-around for union, safety rules and, I suppose, liability considerations.
The Jones act prohibits a foreign flagged or crewed ship from picking up cargo in one US port and delivering it directly to another US port. Why would trading partners have any opinion about this that counts? Trading partners generally, like, trade... you know, them to us, us to them, not us to us...

Airline rules, worldwide, for example prevent country A's airline from providing service from country B to country C unless the flight is part of a route to/from Country A.

Just now I remember what Thorne's answer was to my question. Something like, "you could reduce space-time to three dimensions, but the mathematics is too complicated."

Forty years later, because of Ilya Prigogine and a kiss from Einstein, I find this answer sufficient: without time no motion is possible. Without motion there is no energy. Without energy there is nothing. Even string theorists agree. We impose time on our experience because we are energy machines, requiring food and elimination due to the second law of thermodynamics. Finally, this is pure speculation, Einstein's theory of gravity may just be just another consequence of the second law. When bodies interact, say finally as in the relatively stable current orbit of the Moon and Earth, isn't that just another equilibrium state on the way down the energy spectrum? I believe this is what Prigogine calls metastability.

After a quick look at Wikipedia on metastability and ground state, my head is starting to hurt again so I need to take a walk. Not a random one because there is no destination, just wandering around in circles until I finally remember where our door is. Such is life, 43 perhaps?

Perhaps. 42 seems like all the rage though.

Did I get the number wrong? Another mind petard? I prefer primes as they are curiously unique.
All numbers are unique. All numbers are also interesting. Proof by contradiction: assume there are uninteresting numbers. Then one of them must be the smallest, which would make it interesting. Therefore there can be no uninteresting numbers.

All numbers are unique. All numbers are also interesting. Proof by contradiction: assume there are uninteresting numbers. Then one of them must be the smallest, which would make it interesting. Therefore there can be no uninteresting numbers.

Random Thought

I feel my head hurting again. You guys (generic) are just too smart. Would that such syllogisms could be applied to politics and the intrinsic valuation of people.

Background macro information-
Inflation generally trending upward recently globally; but still in reasonable territory given growth rates and interest rates;
the next move up by the Fed will draw us ever closer to alignment and stability balanced across those metrics (also meaning the obvious choice of equity over Bond will be diminished in risk/reward). I would expect 2018 to see increasing volatility in equity markets - just as we've seen early indications of such this year--
DMRUExQV4AAqocP.jpg

Random Thought

My approach to teaching about international politics was heavily influenced by the late Hans Morgenthau, one of the giants along with George Kennan in shifting US policy from the idealism characteristic of the interwar period to the so-called power school dominant post World War II. Whatever idealism means now is anyone's guess. I think it is most dangerous when we try to impose our ideals on the foreign environment rather than a careful calculation of the actual local scene and our capacity to influence it matched with due concern for consequences. Bush's Iraq War and subsequent efforts in Afghanistan (aside from the first step which was successful) illustrate in spades the error of assuming unlimited destructive power can be translated into effective policy when it is mindless. Morgenthau was quite clear his theories about conflict being the name of the game were modified by at least one moral constraint: the policy must be expedient.

A caveat: I only got a B or B- in his graduate seminar on theories of international politics at Harvard in the late fifties when I was transitioning from mechanical engineering in college. Ten years later Morgenthau held a press conference at the Pentagon announcing he would no longer consult with the US military since the Vietnam War was so inexpedient.

Though not an academic source, many TMCers might appreciate the following analysis which summarizes what I think my late teacher might say about Trump's imprudent bullying tactics (Kim as well). Unconsciously, the administration is dangerously suicidal as Corker reminds us, or hopefully this is just another example of our ending of innocence similar to the Vietnam and Iraq War fiascoes. The world may be better off with China as a world leader; money talks, bull**s** rumbles for awhile and then...?

How Donald Trump negotiates like a hostage-taker - CNNPolitics

Last edited:
per our previous discussions- starting to see this play out; we just eclipsed 10 year low on this important metric-
again for quick review- this is being produced by Fed raising short term rates concurrent with a continuing strong demand (lower yield) for longer term bonds. It's going to be a delicate dance- but Yellow watch moving stronger now. Underlying economy holding up well, but the risk is from other triggers -
again this is longer term predictive (6 months or more out)- so just a cautionary update for readers, at this point

DMWS0QlUMAE2qIX.jpg