Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is back at the Ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche tested with early prototypes as well. The only difference is that they didn't announce that the "Taycan will be at the 'ring" like Tesla did and their customers/media/general public didn't care very much. (Auto reporters didn't say much if anything about the Taycan testing, unlike Telsa where everything is big news.)

yes, it’s very common for German car makers to test their cars on the nordschleife. This of course gets them some free media attention. Now, indeed, The rivelary is more media induced. Like they always announce the next “Tesla killer”....

I think the difference with Porsche is the fact that they test with a pre-production model just before releasing it for production. Tesla comes with new gear that nobody heard of before plus a third engine etc and without knowing any specific specs which we do/did know about Porsche.

on the other hand, the Tesla community seems so afraid given some reactions, I don’t get it, Tesla still has a lead on anyone in the EV space and this will continue for,some time to come. Relax and applaud the fact that Porsche is investing time and money on R&D for EVs and is putting up a (small) fight. (For now)

I for one like the fact that they choose 800 volts and the second gearbox and have proven the relentlessness acceleration capabilities.

And now people are really gonna shoot at me: :D

Porsche should buy Tesla that would give us unlimited ludicrous, high build quality, killer range and efficiency.

The perfect EV :cool:
Not shoot you but how would VW buy Tesla? it is valued at 50% of VWs valuations, to buy them VW would take a huge huge amount of debt that they can't afford in order to put a 20% or greater multiple on the company. Toyota on the other hand might be able to buy Tesla if they really wanted to double down. Maybe Mercedes.. I don't think anyone else has the $ to make it happen, Tesla is the future and porsche will just slide into irrelevance.

Perhaps you are also not aware that Porsche has been developing the toycan for as long as it took tesla to launch the x, M3 and y. Also perhaps not aware that Tesla has sold more cars this year than Porsche will all year. Porsche has slightly better build quality at a huge expense in build numbers, innovation, time to market, and value. The ring results are just nails in coffin. Tesla will launch a Model Pickup, a Roadster and a Semi in the time it takes Porsche to get the next electric porsche on the road. Just not sure why you think porsche is relevant ?

Not shoot you but how would VW buy Tesla? it is valued at 50% of VWs valuations, to buy them VW would take a huge huge amount of debt that they can't afford in order to put a 20% or greater multiple on the company. Toyota on the other hand might be able to buy Tesla if they really wanted to double down. Maybe Mercedes.. I don't think anyone else has the $ to make it happen, Tesla is the future and porsche will just slide into irrelevance.

Perhaps you are also not aware that Porsche has been developing the toycan for as long as it took tesla to launch the x, M3 and y. Also perhaps not aware that Tesla has sold more cars this year than Porsche will all year. Porsche has slightly better build quality at a huge expense in build numbers, innovation, time to market, and value. The ring results are just nails in coffin. Tesla will launch a Model Pickup, a Roadster and a Semi in the time it takes Porsche to get the next electric porsche on the road. Just not sure why you think porsche is relevant ?

No, you are right..... VW, 7 biggest company on the fortune 500 list, selling 11 million cars a year, have 254 Billion in own assets, making 11 billion net profit per year, the biggest car maker in the world owning 324 brands from cars, trucks, machinery, bikes, ... (audi, skoda,porsche,vw,scania,seat, Lamborghini, Bentley,ducati, man,...)

So yes, buying 20-30% of Tesla and getting access to their tech would be totaly insane....you are aware that Tesla, probably, this year will have its first profitable year in it’s 12 year existence?

Porsche did 4 years to develop the Taycan
Porsche 911 represents only 11% of sales but is good for 2,47billion profit due to insane margins
Porsche recently entered Formula E and has a track record in racing with 800 volt hybrids since 2010

I agree they are tools and clueless ....and regarding your remark on quality, i’m not answering..

we’re probably are alligned on the fact that Tesla, currently, has the most advanced EV (tech, soft and charger network)
And let’s leave it at that because my initial remark was ment for fun actually but somehow it wasn’t perceived like this so no worries....

• Funny
Reactions: Scorpyo
Porsche should buy Tesla that would give us unlimited ludicrous, high build quality, killer range and efficiency.
No thanks. Use the open patents. Show us you can build a better Tesla than Tesla. Don't buy Tesla and bury the product forever.

It's frankly embarrassing for existing automakers that nobody has done the obvious thing.

No, you are right..... VW, 7 biggest company on the fortune 500 list, selling 11 million cars a year, have 254 Billion in own assets, making 11 billion net profit per year, the biggest car maker in the world owning 324 brands from cars, trucks, machinery, bikes, ... (audi, skoda,porsche,vw,scania,seat, Lamborghini, Bentley,ducati, man,...)

So yes, buying 20-30% of Tesla and getting access to their tech would be totaly insane....you are aware that Tesla, probably, this year will have its first profitable year in it’s 12 year existence?

Porsche did 4 years to develop the Taycan
Porsche 911 represents only 11% of sales but is good for 2,47billion profit due to insane margins
Porsche recently entered Formula E and has a track record in racing with 800 volt hybrids since 2010

I agree they are tools and clueless ....and regarding your remark on quality, i’m not answering..

we’re probably are alligned on the fact that Tesla, currently, has the most advanced EV (tech, soft and charger network)
And let’s leave it at that because my initial remark was ment for fun actually but somehow it wasn’t perceived like this so no worries....

It was funny and bad on me to be serious...mea cupa.

VW stock remains in the tank, they have 10's of thousands of layoffs coming and no coherent strategy for the future. Don't ask me ask the stock market, they are the ones that count. Porsche was working on the electric car for 10 years, not 4. They did have insane margins which is why the profit is milked out and sent to VW (half of all vw profits). Like all VW companies they tried to avoid the EV movement and studied it to destroy it. By comp GM looks positively forward thinking. All the reasons you list for VW being able to buy Tesla is the reason they can't. With all those assets they are not a valuable company due to debt, pension obligations and huge numbers of employees. More important why would any Tesla shareholder want to get anchored to that sinking ship. 8 Years ago Mercedes made that investment not VW. Frankly I despise VW and have little use for luxury good makers that have no innovation (and yes...I mean porsche has effectively not doing anything interesting since 911).

It's very much like IBM ignoring Microsoft in 1984 and still in 1990...fast forward 20 years and IBM was no longer relevant, period. Tesla has the opportunity to kill traditional car makers because they recognize that the vehicle market is in a transition to self driving fleets and that individual car ownership will plummet. Started in Japan, moved to US and now to Europe. Youth are buying fewer cars and delaying purchase. It took only 30 years to kill IBM, I guess that's about the lifespan of VW. Mercedes is the german company I'd bet on. They have a clue. I have yet to see any car company other than Tesla describe a vision for the future of transportation.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
No thanks. Use the open patents. Show us you can build a better Tesla than Tesla. Don't buy Tesla and bury the product forever.

It's frankly embarrassing for existing automakers that nobody has done the obvious thing.

The parents aren't just open. They have a poison pill in them. If you use them you have to open your parents to everyone for EV use.

The parents aren't just open. They have a poison pill in them. If you use them you have to open your parents to everyone for EV use.
I've read this sentiment several times on TMC....please explain where you think it says that in their patent pledge. I just don't see it. There is one section that says IF Tesla transfers the patent (aka sells it, Tesla get's bought, etc.) that the transfeee cannot change these terms, and so on to anyone further on down the line. That is NOT a poison pill that if you use Tesla patent A, your patent B must also be opened. Just don't see that in this language.

Also, it says if you use a Tesla patent, and try to sue Tesla for infringement then the pledge is off and Tesla can counter sue for the use of the patent in "bad faith". Essentially, the use of Tesla's patents for "free" expires if you sue them. In such cases the normal Patent licensing between both parties would be required.

Once again, it says nothing about letting everyone else use your patents.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla
On June 12, 2014, Tesla announced that it will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use its technology. Tesla was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport, and this policy is intended to encourage the advancement of a common, rapidly-evolving platform for electric vehicles, thereby benefiting Tesla, other companies making electric vehicles, and the world. These guidelines provide further detail as to how we are implementing this policy.

Tesla’s Pledge

Tesla irrevocably pledges that it will not initiate a lawsuit against any party for infringing a Tesla Patent through activity relating to electric vehicles or related equipment for so long as such party is acting in good faith. Key terms of the Pledge are explained below.

Definition of Key Terms

"Tesla Patents" means all patents owned now or in the future by Tesla (other than a patent owned jointly with a third party or any patent that Tesla later acquires that comes with an encumbrance that prevents it from being subject to this Pledge). A list of Tesla Patents subject to the Pledge will be maintained at the following URL: Privacy & Legal | Tesla.

A party is "acting in good faith" for so long as such party and its related or affiliated companies have not:

asserted, helped others assert or had a financial stake in any assertion of (i) any patent or other intellectual property right against Tesla or (ii) any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment;
challenged, helped others challenge, or had a financial stake in any challenge to any Tesla patent; or
marketed or sold any knock-off product (e.g., a product created by imitating or copying the design or appearance of a Tesla product or which suggests an association with or endorsement by Tesla) or provided any material assistance to another party doing so.

Transfer of Tesla Patents

Should Tesla ever transfer a Tesla Patent to a third party, it will do so only to a party that agrees, by means of a public declaration intended to be binding on such party, to provide the same protection that Tesla provided under the Pledge and to place the same requirement on any subsequent transferee.

Legal Effect

The Pledge, which is irrevocable and legally binding on Tesla and its successors, is a "standstill," meaning that it is a forbearance of enforcement of Tesla’s remedies against any party for claims of infringement for so long as such party is acting in good faith. In order for Tesla to preserve its ability to enforce the Tesla Patents against any party not acting in good faith, the Pledge is not a waiver of any patent claims (including claims for damages for past acts of infringement) and is not a license, covenant not to sue, or authorization to engage in patented activities or a limitation on remedies, damages or claims. Except as expressly stated in the Pledge, no rights shall be deemed granted, waived or received by implication, exhaustion, estoppel or otherwise. Finally, the Pledge is not an indication of the value of an arms-length, negotiated license or a reasonable royalty.

What this pledge means is that as long as someone uses our patents for electric vehicles and doesn’t do bad things, such as knocking off our products or using our patents and then suing us for intellectual property infringement, they should have no fear of Tesla asserting its patents against them.

I've read this sentiment several times on TMC....please explain where you think it says that in their patent pledge. I just don't see it. There is one section that says IF Tesla transfers the patent (aka sells it, Tesla get's bought, etc.) that the transfeee cannot change these terms, and so on to anyone further on down the line. That is NOT a poison pill that if you use Tesla patent A, your patent B must also be opened. Just don't see that in this language.

Also, it says if you use a Tesla patent, and try to sue Tesla for infringement then the pledge is off and Tesla can counter sue for the use of the patent in "bad faith". Essentially, the use of Tesla's patents for "free" expires if you sue them. In such cases the normal Patent licensing between both parties would be required.

Once again, it says nothing about letting everyone else use your patents.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

It is right in there that you quotes:

A party is "acting in good faith" for so long as such party and its related or affiliated companies have not:

asserted, helped others assert or had a financial stake in any assertion of (i) any patent or other intellectual property right against Tesla or (ii) any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment;
challenged, helped others challenge, or had a financial stake in any challenge to any Tesla patent; or
marketed or sold any knock-off product (e.g., a product created by imitating or copying the design or appearance of a Tesla product or which suggests an association with or endorsement by Tesla) or provided any material assistance to another party doing so.

So if you asset any patent right against a third party for using one of your EV related patents you can't use Tesla's patents.

Reactions: mongo and bhzmark
So if you asset any patent right against a third party for using one of your EV related patents you can't use Tesla's patents.
Hmm...okay, I see where you are coming from now.

My take on that line was if you try to use patents to block EV technology, such as buying up the rights to NiMH and then not allowing EV's to use them.

But I can see where your reading comes from as well.

Find this whole Taycan "killer" thing as a bit of a farce.

Taycan is simply a blatant copy of Tesla design and technology.

They use the same type of electric motors, one in front for front drive and one in rear for rear wheel drive.
They use the same skateboard (but with foot garages :)
They use the same display, but with an optional one for the passenger?
Pretty much stole all the Tesla design, but added a unnecessary 2 speed transmission...on the rear wheels only.
Use the same Lithium Ion batteries.
Use the same regeneration technology.

Pretty much copied everything successful about the innovative Tesla.

Tied their entire marketing to frame it as a better handling track car. Last thing most any owner has complained about Tesla is poor handling and performance.

I wish them well, but believe this new Taycan does little to advance the development of EV personal transportation.

When Tesla took their Plaid prototype to the ring, it seemed like a bigger dog peeing on the little dog's tree.

Compared to Tesla the Taycan has poor efficiency, poor range, poor charging options, is overweight and lacks OTA updates.(think they may actually have this, but uncertain)

Porsche is going after offering a better driving experience, while Tesla is going after a car that can drive itself. Which has the better future?

Careful about saying Tesla has better range. Wider tyres and bigger air intakes and more aero will definitely decrease range, I suspect quite a LOT of range.
Hopefully still better than Taycan but you’ll have to wait and see...
This whole ‘Ring thing is SO much fun to watch play out- Tesla has pretty much shocked everyone watching with their performance so far!