Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Is Finally Updating Its Autopark Feature by The End of This Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk has just announced on Twitter that the Autopilot/AI team at Tesla will be working on Tesla's Smart Summon and Autopark features, as well as its humanoid robot, Optimus.

Autopilot is widely used by many Tesla owners worldwide while Autopark and Smart Summon are much lesser-used, due to being "too slow" or "won't detect a parking spot," among other issues. As more car manufacturers are making their own "autopark" systems, many parking features that Autopark lacks such as 360 camera view and better angling for parking are on the road right now. In order to compete with this, Tesla is eager to update their own Autopark system, and it is promising to know that there is a hard deadline for an update by the end of this month. Autopark would certainly be useful for tasks such as backing into parking spaces at Superchargers, and if Tesla has been focusing on it as much as they have on FSD Beta, it may change significantly how many owners decide to use it regularly.

Tesla's AI Day 2022 is at the end of this month, so the new Autopark, Smart Summon, and Tesla Bot progress/features will most likely be announced then.

0x0-Charging_01.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

My old 135i had far superior autopark then the MY. The tesla autopark is slow and dimwitted. A question though does it use any ultrasonic sensors or it all via tesla vision?
I believe it uses both. Vision for sure, because it can detect pasted lines and accurately park between them even if there are no adjacent vehicles. Ultrasonics are used to make sure adjacent vehicles are kept far enough away.

Both are completely unusable to me - Summon won't go into my garage, even with systems set for 'tight' and autopark is so slow, and it turns the wheel with the car stopped, which drives me nuts.
I absolutely hate how the car will turn its wheels when I try to use regular summon to put my car into my garage. They really need to dumb it down to where it goes in just a straight line all the time.

Reactions: jiehan and Mark II
I used autopark on my 2022 MS one time where it miraculously detected a space. It was slow and awkward. It fails to detect 90% of spaces. Telling people to drive close to the row of cars to increase detection likelihood is ludicrous and rarely helps anyway. Maybe if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Much of what Tesla implements is very impressive. Autopark is a total fail in its current iteration. I don’t even think of using it.