Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes offer to acquire Solar City

do you support tesla solar city merger?

• yes

Votes: 61 68.5%
  • no

Votes: 28 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar City is bleeding cash, but you can see the long-term goal of Tesla Energy taking form.

But, I suspect, in the short term, this'll be viewed negatively by Wall Street...

Wonder if they're secretively very confident about how the Gigafactory is shaping up.

Reactions: EinSV
I'm long on both, but IMO, it's a questionable move. SCTY's story was still pretty speculative with no clear defendable long term edge over the competition. Their financial metrics are complex (and a moving target) and adding this to the mix won't make it any easier to analyze $TSLA's books.

Well, Elon is a fan of vertical integration, so... I see synergy going both ways: SCTY becoming a sizable channel for Tesla Energy and Tesla Energy being able to sell vertically integrated bundles. Agree that is will complicate assessing Tesla Energy's performance.

TM makes and sells great products. SC will make and sell great products when it has its factory. TM is focused on advancing manufacturing now. SC’s panel factory is a great opportunity to advance manufacturing. Maybe the delays were because somebody wanted to improve on the plant design mid-stream. SC is messy because installation is all about the local details and valuation of future electricity generation is complicated. Perhaps once SC is part of TM the focus will only be on making and selling great products, leaving the installation and complex financing to other entities (spin-offs?). TM will control the three of the planet’s largest factories in their fields making what the world needs a lot of right now. Buying what SC is right now, yuk. Buying what it could become, awesome.

Reactions: neroden
Market hates it perhaps because the last big solar acquisition was of Solarcity's next biggest competitor, Vivint. The acquirer (SunEdison) is now bankrupt. That was a completely different deal and I don't think any lessons can be applied from that deal to this. But still, for SUNE investors this may be "too soon".

Delayed - data as of 06/21/2016 18:55 ET

$195.50 24.11 10.98%

charts.dll

It seems a given that this will squeeze SCTY shorts in a most impressive manner. Watching the after hours price action on TSLA, though, I am curious as to how that impending squeeze might factor into TSLA tomorrow. Why: Because it seems reasonable to assume that at least some of the short players in SCTY will also be short players in TSLA. To the extent they are also short TSLA, they may have to unwind those positions if they face margin pressure.

To me TSLA seems oversold on the news, with a reversal likely. It would seem that what I detail above would add fuel.

Is it unreasonable to expect a significant bounce in the coming days?