Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making Model 3 regen braking stronger via OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Tesla improves regenerative braking on Model 3 through over-the-air software update

Apparently the new 2018.42 firmware being pushed out now makes Model 3 regen braking stronger. Fred at Electrek says that his experience is that the Model 3 regen braking is “weaker” than his SP85, and quotes from the new firmware release notes that say the Model 3 regen braking is being increased.

My experience is that Model 3 regen braking is markedly stronger than my 2013 S85 and my 2017 X100D. I noticed it the first time I test drove a RWD 3 and my Dual Motor 3 definitely has markedly stronger regen braking than my S or X. I like it! But not sure I want it any stronger. It will be interested to experience 2018.42, hopefully soon.

From another thread:
Just received the update (42.2). Also includes key fob support and increased regen braking

I think the AWD 3 already has incredible regen, so I'm surprised they can add more. I drove my '15 Leaf for the first time in a few days since getting the Tesla and even in its highest regen setting it felt like it had no regen in comparison to the 3.
In the past, others reported that the “standard” regenerative breaking setting on the Model 3 provides 0.16g of deceleration. Elon has indicated that the upcoming track mode for the P3D would allow owners to increases the amount of deceleration up to 0.30g.

It sounds like Tesla updated the standard setting to somewhere between 0.16g and 0.30g.

Last edited:
From what I have seen only RWD cars are showing the increased regen note in the release notes...
I think the AWD 3 already has incredible regen, so I'm surprised they can add more. I drove my '15 Leaf for the first time in a few days since getting the Tesla and even in its highest regen setting it felt like it had no regen in comparison to the 3.
Looks that way.

I'm not 100 % positive, but I think that the regen was increased by an OTA update inedpendent of a numbered firmeware update. I installed 39.7 a couple of weeks ago. The regen didn't seem changed from the last update. Yesterday, as soon as I started to drive the car (RWD-LR) the regen felt noticeably stronger. This could have been the same as the mod to braking effort that was downloaded after CU downrated the M3 because of stopping distance.

I got the update last night and today my regen seemed WEAKER. It seems to coast more and at lights doesn't come to a full stop. I've adapted my driving to barely use my brake but was using it all over the place today. :( I have the AWD version