Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks!

Most (virtually all?) other vehicles which have systems like Smart Key System (Toyota parlance) or Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance) include a mechanical key in the fob and at least 1 key hole to allow unlocking of the door if the fob dies, or fob battery or 12 volt battery dies.

Also, it is absurd that Teslas lock their connector to their car during L1 and L2 AC charging and AFAIK, keep it locked w/o providing an option to the driver to either not lock or auto-unlock when done. It causes extra complications and need for coordination w/Tesla folks at my work who share the HPWCs we have.

Most other vehicles w/J1772 inlets except for a few current offenders like (some?) Kia Soul EV, some VW e-Golfs and the BMW 3-series PHEV either don't have any charging lock or give the driver a choice as to whether to lock, don't lock or unlock when done or just unlock when finished.
That does it! @buttershrimp is cancelling, you have pushed him over the edge. All this "absurdity" on the part of Tesla is unforgivable. It is outrageous that Tesla should dare to lock the charging wand so that someone can't arbitrarily disconnect you at a Supercharger. UNFORGIVABLE! @buttershrimp is going to do it, he is, he is. :D

That does it! @buttershrimp is cancelling, you have pushed him over the edge. All this "absurdity" on the part of Tesla is unforgivable. It is outrageous that Tesla should dare to lock the charging wand so that someone can't arbitrarily disconnect you at a Supercharger. UNFORGIVABLE! @buttershrimp is going to do it, he is, he is.
There's a big difference between locking the plug to the car during DC fast charging for safety vs. arbitrarily locking the plug to the car when doing lower power AC charging AND keeping it locked to the car when charging is done.

Keeping the connector locked and remaining attached like a parasite when charging is done while attached to a Model S/X/3 Wall Connector does NOT encourage plug sharing. It only causes extra complications and can require coordination w/the person still plugged in and the adjacent vehicle wishing to charge.

It should either unlock when done in this case or the driver should be a given a choice as to whether that happens.

On the '13 Leaf, the first US EV/PHEV to have a J1772 charging lock, Nissan did it right from day 1. They provided a 3 position switch:
- auto: unlock when done
- middle: don't lock
- lock: remain locked after charging is complete/remain attached like a parasite

Also, on cars with J1772 inlets, when you push on the J1772 handle's trigger, power is cut, to prevent arcing.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have a backup. Thanks for being one of the first, if not THE first to have this issue, so that those of us that get a Model 3 later have a much less likely to have the issue happen for us. So sorry again, but also thanks.

I know it was an issue on early Model S's. So you'd think that Tesla had figured out how to prevent this. Though it is possible that this is an entirely new situation where the 12v is having an issue.

No worries. I knew what I signed up for and I'm happy to be "beta testing." My posts are solely to help Tesla make the best car possible and keep fellow owners informed about potential issues (and their solutions). As I noted elsewhere, I absolutely love the Model 3. It's a game changer.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have a backup. Thanks for being one of the first, if not THE first to have this issue, so that those of us that get a Model 3 later have a much less likely to have the issue happen for us. So sorry again, but also thanks. I appreciate you early adopters.

I know it was an issue on early Model S's. So you'd think that Tesla had figured out how to prevent this. Though it is possible that this is an entirely new situation where the 12v is having an issue.

Maybe...maybe not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/79rp5w/model_3_dead_in_a_parking_lot_trying_to_jump_the/
We may possibly have the first non-rebootable, truly dead Model 3 post-delivery. • r/teslamotors

I'm seeing conflicting reports: Can someone confirm if the 12v trickle charges off the main battery or not?

Normally the 12v only charges when the car is on or actively charging. On later S&X cars Tesla added a 12v output on the battery pack to help prevent cycles on the 12v battery. We would assume that the Model 3 does that as well but we don't know. (We had heard that in early firmware versions you had to charge the car often to keep the 12v battery from going dead, but I thought they had fixed that.)

Speaking of which, how long was your Model 3 plugged in and not doing anything?

Reactions: FlyF4
Did you connect to the 12v plug behind the tow hook cover to at least see if that's the problem? (Regardless of what caused it or how it would be fixed)

I didn't because it wasn't suggested by Tesla. I don't want to do anything that could impact their findings... that may or may not help them solve the problem with future vehicles. (If this wasn't an early model, I'd likely have tried that already but I want them to see it exactly as I found it.)

That does it! @buttershrimp is cancelling, you have pushed him over the edge. All this "absurdity" on the part of Tesla is unforgivable. It is outrageous that Tesla should dare to lock the charging wand so that someone can't arbitrarily disconnect you at a Supercharger. UNFORGIVABLE! @buttershrimp is going to do it, he is, he is. :D

Thank god you alerted me to this. I almost forgot to cancel my order. Now I'm DEFINITELY cancelling my order.

I

will

do

it.

Here I go..... gonna cancel.... crap I just locked my keys in the car again.... I'm calling the locksmith, but when I get back, I'm so cancelling my order.

Speaking of which, how long was your Model 3 plugged in and not doing anything?

Well, it activates from my cell phone when I enter the garage and it had done that less than 24 hours prior. The app confirms that it was last updated at 6:43am the morning of the problem. I discovered the lack of activity around 4pm. We had some bad weather so I didn't actually drive it, however, for about 48 hours.

I was planning on bringing it to be wrapped when I discovered all this.

• Helpful
Reactions: ilikebeef
Most (virtually all?) other vehicles which have systems like Smart Key System (Toyota parlance) or Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance) include a mechanical key in the fob and at least 1 key hole to allow unlocking of the door if the fob dies, or fob battery or 12 volt battery dies.
To elaborate on this, for those unaware, here's an example:
- see ~2:07 to 2:42

Reactions: suwaneedad
Is your car an early VIN/did you get PCS replaced at any point?

VIN is in the high 3000s. It was one of the first batches to be shipped to the east coast, but not particularly early when you consider California. I took delivery the end of January. Nothing related to the PCS has been touched.

Could you elaborate on the PCS? Is this supposed to keep the 12v topped off at all times or only under certain conditions (like while driving or charging)?

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on the PCS? Is this supposed to keep the 12v topped off at all times or only under certain conditions (like while driving or charging)?

I have no clue, just going based on what i've seen in Electrek. I would assume it would charge the 12V system at all times, as there isn't any other method to charge it and i don't see why it would only happen during charging as that would mean you need a pretty decent 12V current output.

Tesla Model 3: Exclusive first look at Tesla’s new battery pack architecture

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MarkS22
I'll keep everyone posted. I mean, could it be the 12v? Sure... but that would be strange for a vehicle that's less than 2 weeks old and plugged in. It's my understanding it should be trickle charging the 12v, especially considering it was well-charged and plugged in.

My Mother-in-law just purchased a brand new Toyota Avalon. The car wouldn't start about three days into ownership. It turned out to be a faulty 12V battery. So this is certainly a possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000