Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Earns Top Safety Pick from IIHS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Tesla has been awarded its first ever Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. To earn a 2019 Top Safety Pick award, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as a good or acceptable rating...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/09/19/tesla-model-3-earns-top-safety-pick-from-iihs/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
But wow, they hand those things out like candy.

If they publish the exact criteria for meriting that ranking, it makes it easy for manufacturers to design to those specs, even if it introduces flaws that the spec is blind to.

And yet this is still the first time Tesla has been able to make the cut. Model S has always missed in a criteria previously. (IIHS never tested the X).

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti and vickh
safer than S. Wow what criteria is missed?

I wouldn't say safer than an S, they can't really be compared directly. The ratings mention that mass matters and the cars are compared vs their class, but mass wins in accidents so large SUVs are likely to be more safe overall than a compact car.

The 2017 S got dinged for headlights and the small overlap on the driver side due to a seat belt allowing the dummy to move too far forward.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I wouldn't say safer than an S, they can't really be compared directly. The ratings mention that mass matters and the cars are compared vs their class, but mass wins in accidents so large SUVs are likely to be more safe overall than a compact car.

The 2017 S got dinged for headlights and the small overlap on the driver side due to a seat belt allowing the dummy to move too far forward.

Got it. It's also interesting that all the other top picks need options to qualify. I like that Tesla doesn't make safety an add on.

I'm sure mass is an important factor and the battery helps. (explains why a lot of hybrids in the small category) But design, air bags, crumple zones (eg. bee hive and no engine in 3) etc. are also important.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC and Az_Rael