Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry to hear about this. Glad he is ok. I have two of my own and know how easily these things can happen. But let me bring you back to the reason why the discussion came up. Was this with your Tesla? Do you think installing a speaker would have helped? I doubt it. But you know what *would* help? Making it a law that every house has a 1m high fence around their driveway. Then also making it a law that no Child is allowed out of the house without a high-vis vest on. Then also making it a law to..... You see where this is going. You could ride that slippery slope as much as you like (like we are now with our nanny gov and EV sound makers once they make it law) but all it does is shift responsibility as I said in my previous post.

Sorry, this is the last I will post about this in this thread. 13 days until I get my Tesla! Woohoo! I hope the late arrival or our ship to Sydney didn't affect the delivery date.
FWIW I do think the reversing noise (and I like Tesla's sound) is a valuable addition as are rear view cameras. In my circumstances I a rear view would have enabled me to seen my son (he was shorter than the rear window on the wagon and ran past close to the bumber so could not be seen and the reversing noise may have alerted him that the car was moving. He is now 26 now btw and car mad! Loves BMWs and Mazda RX and is so envious of the TESLA M3. He is coming to "help" me with the delivery inspection.

If you go personal car finance, the deposit will be taken off the car price and the financed amount will be that much less. If you go novated lease, there is legal requirement that the full vehicle cost be in that lease, so they will refund the deposit and put the full vehicle cost into the novated lease. However if I am not mistaken, novated lease can be done without paying GST, bringing the amount down again, but there may be clauses to that.

Novated leases sound really good on the face of it - no GST, and pre-tax salary sacrifice. However, the last time I looked into doing this, I figured it was too good to be true and sure enough once you take into account their exorbitant interest rates, you're no better off financially. The main advantage I could see was that it was easier to get rid of the car at the end of the lease period, if you wanted to get a new one.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Thanks for that... so at least I can avoid any sense of ‘regret’ in not buying a P3D- with a white interior and 18” wheels... because a window of opportunity for that never existed.

I assume it is not possible to ask for 18” wheels on P+?

No problem. You are correct that the P- in Australia and NZ with the white interior was never an option.

My understanding is the larger brake rotors and calipers that come with the P+ preclude the use of the standard 18" Tesla wheels (the bore being too small is the assumption; although I have not physically measured them). So even if Tesla would swap them out (they won't) then they would not fit!

I have seen a lot of people looking to buy the TSportline Flow Forged 18"s that will fit the Performance for that reason.

Stopped by Autonexus Adelaide and spotted 6-7 white Model 3s and at least 1 red. May have been more but the view wasn't great.
My white P- Adelaide delivery has moved forward from the Monday to next Fri 20th. Should be a pleasant weekend.

Exciting! Still dont know when my 3 is coming. Been told it has a VIN but no more information yet. Has anyone in Adelaide got a model 3 yet?

I have seen a lot of people looking to buy the TSportline Flow Forged 18"s that will fit the Performance for that reason.

T Sportline wheels look really great - was looking at them for my S before I managed to find a set of Arachnids locally instead. If there’s enough interest, a group buy/group shipping to Australia might be a good idea?

Tesla Model 3 Aftermarket Wheels

Reactions: jaykaye
that the website still reports estimated delivery as October and for some who haven't got a call, seems a little ambitious. :)
This may be true in the past with the way people who ordered Model S or Model X but consider that once Model 3 starts shipping cars here.
Because the VIN is not allocated to you at the time the car is built at Fremont, and the limited variations you can select, it could already be built and on a boat here when you finally place your order on the website.

Reactions: baillies
Getting used to TACC and Auto-steer very quickly

The TACC is simply awesome, tracks the car in front amazingly well, and keeps exactly at the speed limit. Only small issues I have are once it stops at a red light behind another car, once it goes green, it takes a bit long to take off, I feel like the car behind me might crash into me. I am just touching the pedal to get it moving a second earlier. Secondly, you get very used to coming up to a red light behind another car and it slowly comes to a stop and waits for that car to move off. But then one time in 20, there are no cars in front of you as you come up to the red light, and it will just sail straight through. Need to really keep that in mind. But I am just using it on all roads, as it stops me speeding. If you turn it on on a 60 road, it wont go up when the speed limit changes. If you turn it on when speed limit is 80, it will change to 70 or 60 then back up to 80 on its own. But not all the time, I still havent worked that out. If it doesnt change, you just press the speed limit on the screen. Only had one instance where it didnt have the speed limit right up near Emerald (VIC)

Auto-steer isnt enabled by default, you need to turn it on in Settings. It is a still bit nervy as various youtube videos have said, particularly if there is a car beside you as you go around a curve but it does an amazing job. Still taking a bit of practise to hold the wheel with sufficient force that it knows you are there, but not so much that it thinks you are taking over so it disengages. I think on a freeway it wouldnt have any issues.
Sometimes, the speed limits aren't correct with Google Maps... press button on wheel, say, Bug Report Wrong Speed".

Novated leases sound really good on the face of it - no GST, and pre-tax salary sacrifice. However, the last time I looked into doing this, I figured it was too good to be true and sure enough once you take into account their exorbitant interest rates, you're no better off financially. The main advantage I could see was that it was easier to get rid of the car at the end of the lease period, if you wanted to get a new one.
Novated leases are just a financial instrument. And as with any financial instrument, you are paying for the privilege of not using your own money. There is no free lunch.

NF are you planning to do PPF or just ceramic? And if the latter you’ll do by yourself?

Keen to hear which other cleaning etc products you recommend too.
On the Model 3, Suntek Ultra PPF with Gtechniq Halo ceramic coat, which is purposed made for PPF:
HALO Flexible Film Coating
The installer insisted he do the coating himself - he ‘included’ it in the price (probably as he is establishing himself against a much larger player in the area who does XPEL).
He advised to reapply every 2 years & to not use any other applications as it’s totally unnecessary & counter acts the effect of Halo
As for the film itself, he is going to be hiding the seams wherever possible by removing side blinkers, side mirrors, window sills, taillights, etc. I just read in another thread on here how dirt builds up along any visible PPF edges/seams - seriously consider paying extra for hiding the PPF edges
I use a pressure washer - if you allow $15 for a hand car wash, it pays for itself after 50 washes. I have the Gerni top end one which has the soaping mechanism built in, rather than a separate add on dispenser. 7 year warranty:
Gerni 2400W 2320psi Pro 160.2 High Pressure Washer
5 litres of car wash costs $15 at Supercheap Auto when on special:
SCA Heavy Duty Superwash - 5 Litre
You don’t need wax based wash - PPF & ceramic coat negates the need

I intend to own this car for 20 years - if Tesla get the car fully autonomous then that does the job of transport, without polluting

Last edited:
I assume it is not possible to ask for 18” wheels on P+?

You can do what I did and just buy some aftermarket ones. I got these from Tsportline, and I ordered a red P3D+ here's the look. They are 18s in the style of the TST. Looks pretty good IMHO. I got them in space grey because black looks tacky. And yes, those will fit over the P3+ brakes, the centre bore is correct.

Can you comment on the differences in ride comfort and noise?

Once I get them on the car (and the car ofc) I'll provide some feedback. Interestingly, the EE video where he did the same thing didn't report much of a ride change/noise improvement etc. He reported a very slightly better acceleration time which others haven't necessarily matched and somewhat improved efficiency. I wouldn't expect too much. I'm only putting them on because then I can drive how I want around town and put the original wheels back on when it's time to sell, also cheaper tyre prices as I drive a lot.

The wheels were around $2k AUD + 823 for the tyres. Price didn't matter too much to me though honestly. Just wanted something that fit, made the car a little unique and also cheaper for tyres and I could hit potholes without having a panic attack.

The PS4S tyres in 20" for the stock wheels are about $420 each. Not worth it IMO for city driving. I have them on one of my BMWs from the factory (M3) and they are really good on the track.

I've already been asked by some to sell them the 20" stock wheels so people are interested in putting them on a regular P3 SR+. This could be an option to mitigate the cost for someone wanting to change their wheels. The wheels alone are about $4k from Tesla and the Tyres as above are about 400 each.

red-multi-coat-tesla-model-3-18-inch-turbine-wheels-tst-flow-forged-space-gray-grey-wm-1_25521abf-e276-4e00-b000-f55f262e3d9d_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

Last edited: