Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
which is still pretty silly to pay when used packs from low mileage cars floating around on eBay as low as 4k
i'd take my chances with that n i have 3 tries to test my luck lol
not to mention u get to keep ur old one this way n either sell it or turn it into backup/solar setup...
Further, that $14k M3 replacement pack is actually $24k to the owner, given $10k core charge (at least for MS) if the owner wanted to keep the old pack.

I bet it was BMS reset or cell/module swaps 😂
It was not. Had nothing to do with anything technical like that. The entire company was 100% onboard with deferring to my judgement and expertise on those types of matters. As in, no "resets" or other such fake repair garbage.

Again, was a personal decision entirely on principle, and I will not elaborate more than that.

Maybe there's some extra details wk knows but Tesla constantly upgrades/updates things so probably gonna be obsolete soon anyways...
The bulk of methods I use for accessing and modifying things are un-upgradable/un-patchable... as in, Tesla would need to release and install different hardware to prevent it. Everything currently on the road would need physical changes.... except cybertruck maybe? Dunno, since I haven't looked at one like that.

There's no DIYer or other shop at that level, sadly, and I don't foresee anyone getting there either. If it was going to happen, it'd have already happened.

I can tell you're a savvy guy that is very articulate and careful. So I know you didn't get duped into a garbage contract.

Nope, the contract was fair. On the monetary side, it was not tremendously in my favor on its face. But the value to me personally of no longer having the responsibility and stress of being the one person in charge of and having to handle everything, along with the value of consistent earnings for myself and family, made up for any deficit on the face value of the transaction itself, IMO. All of the provisions regarding confidentiality and the like would have been perfectly fine as well, had my employment contract run its term, as was everyone's intention. I made the decision to break that (in a way permitted by the employment contract), and I am dealing with the consequences of that decision, which includes remaining bound by quite a few provisions in both contracts.

which is still pretty silly to pay when used packs from low mileage cars floating around on eBay as low as 4k
i'd take my chances with that n i have 3 tries to test my luck lol
not to mention u get to keep ur old one this way n either sell it or turn it into backup/solar setup...

I think you grossly overestimate the amount of people willing/able to go through the trouble of dealing with handling of the core pack at all, let alone actually doing something useful with it.

I had a customer (young couple) in for a pack replacement, with a partially flooded pack sadly. Some modules were electrically OK, but corroded a bit visibly, so not ones we'd refurbish/resell. Potentially good for solar or something though, still. We offered no core value on it as a result, however, since it wasn't useful to us. They decided to still move forward with a replacement, which was still way cheaper than Tesla themselves. When they went to pickup the car, we asked what they wanted to do with the core pack... they looked at each other confused for a moment before one of them was finally, "I don't think we can do anything with it?" I explained the above to them, that some of the modules probably could be used for something, but we couldn't sell them. They pondered a bit, and decided to just leave it with us. It wasn't worth the trouble of figuring out how to transport it, doing the work to extract/test the modules, sell or use them, etc. One of my techs ended up using a couple of the modules from that pack for a golf cart battery upgrade, which was cool at least.

But realistically, the average person just isn't going to deal with that type of stuff, nor would most people even have a way to do so if they wanted to.

Also, the Model 3/Y batteries are pretty useless for most things, given the form factor and voltages. Even EV conversion folks rarely want to use them. That's why they're so cheap in the first place compared to S/X modules of lower gravimetric energy density. Tons of Model 3 packs out there that no one wants.

This is an unfortunate result of all the people purchasing extended service plans from 057.

My thoughts is that Mr. Hughes promoted, pushed, and recommended owners of old Teslas to purchase this plan and a promise to service the battery at time of failure.

Once there were irreconcilable differences in the company, you not only turned your back on the company, but also turned your back on everybody that had purchased the plans from your recommendations.

On a legal standpoint, maybe it's ok to wash your hands of this and say "it's no longer my problem." But on a moral concept of things, I still feel duped on purchasing this plan based on your recommendation and promises.

Last edited:
forgive me for saying warranty, i mean to say extended service plans or whichever it is. Please focus on the topic of the plan itself.
When you want to mention ‘legal standpoint’ you may want to focus on the correct terminology for what you purchased.

You’re ignoring the fact that new057 has been mentioned to be servicing customers, with all IP intact.

My thoughts is that Mr. Hughes promoted, pushed, and recommended owners of old Teslas to purchase this plan and a promise to service the battery at time of failure.

Once there were irreconcilable differences in the company, you not only turned your back on the company, but also turned your back on everybody that had purchased the plans from your recommendations.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

That's like saying you bought a Tesla because you believe in Musk's vision, and had been pushing for people to buy Teslas... and when he eventually leaves the company you're like, "You turned your back on everybody that purchased a Tesla based on your recommendation!" :rolleyes:

The service plan isn't a tax or some requirement that anyone has to buy. It's a free market product that people decided to purchase.

And those purchases were made from a company. No one ever purchased any service plans from me. My recommending or promoting something changes nothing in that regard. No one ever promised that I personally would be fixing cars if there's an issue under the service plan. That was never the case. In fact, I had very little direct hands-on with any of the service plan replacements that happened while I was at or owned 057. And I never said or even remotely implied otherwise. If you made a purchase believing that to be the case for some reason, then that's on you.

And no one purchased me, either... that practice was abolished in the US in 1865.

The question mark at the end of that statement says customers are not being serviced.

Is there someone saying they are being serviced?
The question mark is more that I don’t work there and am not affiliated with them, but weren’t there mentions of recent servicing done by the new company in the last few pages of this… interesting thread on what seems to have hints of “if no musk than I no want my kar”.

The entitlement shows within this thread. Some members egging JH on to prod for info. (social engineering 🤮)

Reactions: zoomer0056
Here is a post from you, recommending to purchase "our" service plan. And the promise is the contract.

"On a side note, at this point I'm pretty convinced a huge percentage, if not every single one, of the 2012-2013 S battery packs out there are going to fail at some point within the next few years. Have gathered plenty of data on this. When they fail, the issue is not really correctable aside from a replacement pack, either. If you or someone you know has a 2012-2013 S and plan on keeping it, I'd probably suggest jumping on our service plan program before we update pricing and remove the promo (planned for the first week of July now). No vintage is immune to failures, but probably 90% (guestimating, don't hold me to that) of the replacements we've done over the years have been on 2012-2013 S's.

Anyway, figured I'd note this as I'm sitting here scheduling transport for another 2013 S to bring it to 057 for service."

Regardless of everything, it is what it is.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

That's like saying you bought a Tesla because you believe in Musk's vision, and had been pushing for people to buy Teslas... and when he eventually leaves the company you're like, "You turned your back on everybody that purchased a Tesla based on your recommendation!" :rolleyes:

The service plan isn't a tax or some requirement that anyone has to buy. It's a free market product that people decided to purchase.

And those purchases were made from a company. No one ever purchased any service plans from me. My recommending or promoting something changes nothing in that regard. No one ever promised that I personally would be fixing cars if there's an issue under the service plan. That was never the case. In fact, I had very little direct hands-on with any of the service plan replacements that happened while I was at or owned 057. And I never said or even remotely implied otherwise. If you made a purchase believing that to be the case for some reason, then that's on you.

And no one purchased me, either... that practice was abolished in the US in 1865.

You’re ignoring the fact that new057 has been mentioned to be servicing customers, with all IP intact.
Are we calling this a fact now? I suppose it’s a fact that it’s been “mentioned” by someone, but the only first-hand accounts reported that I’ve seen are from people unable to contact anyone, waiting for months on “check’s in the mail” refunds that never showed, and so on.

Surely if someone actually received service from this company in recent months they would be able to provide documentation of such - maybe even explaining WHO they received it from, WHERE they received it from, or any other sort of substantiating detail that provides a shred of evidence that the company still exists.

Then maybe we could cite this as a “fact”.

Sounds like we’ve got a few people here with active service plans and no BMD - would love to have any one of you initiate contact with the company through your account and report back what happens.

Last edited:
FWIW, here's a NorCal Tesla repair shop's extended warranty. https://www.evsrepublic.com/warranty

I took the liberty of inputting my car - clean 2012 P85 with 12k miles/year. You can input your own info for a quote. Attached pic are my results which include pack and DU.

I do not have this warranty as I prefer to set aside funds for when repairs are needed.

394513177_10231055205739427_3301397730605798664_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a post from you, recommending to purchase "our" service plan.

"Our" as in, speaking from/for the company. ChatGPT, take it away:

When someone uses "our" in the context of referring to something a company offers, it doesn't necessarily imply that the speaker is personally offering the product or service along with the company. Instead, "our" is often used as a form of corporate speak, where the individual is speaking on behalf of the company and not in a personal capacity. The use of "our" by someone talking about a company's offerings is a linguistic tool used to represent the collective efforts and identity of the company, rather than indicating a personal offering from the speaker themselves.
FWIW, here's a NorCal Tesla repair shop's extended warranty. https://www.evsrepublic.com/warranty

I took the liberty of inputting my car - clean 2012 P85 with 12k miles/year. Attached pic are my results which include pack and DU.

View attachment 1006377

What the heck is this? Am I reading that correctly as in it's $13k for coverage of everything? Edit: Oh, those are the deductibles. lol. Even worse. "For the low low price of nearly the entire value of your car, we can fix it if it breaks!" I'll pass.

"Our" as in, speaking from/for the company. ChatGPT, take it away:

When someone uses "our" in the context of referring to something a company offers, it doesn't necessarily imply that the speaker is personally offering the product or service along with the company. Instead, "our" is often used as a form of corporate speak, where the individual is speaking on behalf of the company and not in a personal capacity. The use of "our" by someone talking about a company's offerings is a linguistic tool used to represent the collective efforts and identity of the company, rather than indicating a personal offering from the speaker themselves.

What the heck is this? Am I reading that correctly as in it's $13k for coverage of everything? Edit: Oh, those are the deductibles. lol. Even worse. "For the low low price of nearly the entire value of your car, we can fix it if it breaks!" I'll pass.
Value per KBB. For 2012 Signature S in average condition with 126,000 miles. Trade in avg value us $12,000.
1000026229.jpg

Personal trials and tribulations aside, @wk057 post #492 on Tesla moving towards nearly impossible to cost effectively service HV battery and nearly disposable cars is a double whammy on top of already challenging LiOn battery issues.

Existing Lithium Ion has numerous concerns :
  • Require careful operating condition to avoid trigging flammable electrolyte which causes all the Tesla-gate changes we see with aged batteries as they learn about degradation and continuously reprogram to reduce the operating window. Probably is also the reason can't mix modules to operate safely with anything beyond minimal imbalance which disables modular replacement of failed modules.
  • Water and electricity don't mix problems arise from large volume mounted externally low to ground is fundamentally problematic where many humans live even besides Tesla numerous poor designs in this area.
Adding in Tesla's disposable car design with any HV pack subcomponent failure (Imaging the cybertruck in Rubicon trail haha). Quite a massive pollution problem. Making new things for massive disposable consumption means processing more materials for manufacturing. Most require high process heat temperature (melt stuff for more consistent and therefore durable molecular structure) and surely all sourced from hydrocarbon combustion for now (I'll skip the unrealistic solar+wind green grid discussion) until probably HTR (High Temperature Reactor) nuclear reactor matures (has its own problems such as nuke weapons proliferation)

A big step will be maturity of Solid State Batteries. No flammable elements. Say ~5X+ energy density which means pack move into interior of car away from moisture concerns (What Toyota Hybrids do now with smaller NiMH batteries). Cell shorting dendrite formation always present of course but maybe higher imbalance from mixing cells/modules are solvable without flammable safety worries? A lot of PR from academia and/or startup but closest to real products is probably Toyota + Idemitsu 20 year JV. Current phase is setting up pilot factory to work through high production cost issues. Probably 10 years away from higher volume cars. Toyota's strategy seems very much NiMH -> Solid State and skipping most of LiOn with its challenges.

Last edited:
Personal trials and tribulations aside, @wk057 post #492 on Tesla moving towards nearly impossible to cost effectively service HV battery and nearly disposable cars is a double whammy on top of already challenging LiOn battery issues.

Existing Lithium Ion has numerous concerns :
  • Require careful operating condition to avoid trigging flammable electrolyte which causes all the Tesla-gate changes we see with aged batteries as they learn about degradation and continuously reprogram to reduce the operating window. Probably is also the reason can't mix modules to operate safely with anything beyond minimal imbalance which disables modular replacement of failed modules.
  • Water and electricity don't mix problems arise from large volume mounted externally low to ground is fundamentally problematic where many humans live even besides Tesla numerous poor designs in this area.
Adding in Tesla's disposable car design with any HV pack subcomponent failure (Imaging the cybertruck in Rubicon trail haha). Quite a massive pollution problem. Making new things for massive disposable consumption means processing more materials for manufacturing. Most require high process heat temperature (melt stuff for more consistent and therefore durable molecular structure) and surely all sourced from hydrocarbon combustion for now (I'll skip the unrealistic solar+wind green grid discussion) until probably HTR (High Temperature Reactor) nuclear reactor matures (has its own problems such as nuke weapons proliferation)

A big step will be maturity of Solid State Batteries. No flammable elements. Say ~5X+ energy density which means pack move into interior of car away from moisture concerns (What Toyota Hybrids do now with smaller NiMH batteries). Cell shorting dendrite formation always present of course but maybe higher imbalance from mixing cells/modules are solvable without flammable safety worries? A lot of PR from academia and/or startup but closest to real products is probably Toyota + Idemitsu 20 year JV. Current phase is setting up pilot factory to work through high production cost issues. Probably 10 years away from higher volume cars. Toyota's strategy seems very much NiMH -> Solid State and skipping most of LiOn with its challenges.
Toyota is just using the Osbourne effect to try to discourage BEVs, first promising that hydrogen was the future and not BEVs, and when that turned out to be a farce, they are now peddling solid state, which will also unlikely be as good as they hyped it to be. The reality is they want people to keep buying hybrids for as long as possible.

Sounds like we’ve got a few people here with active service plans and no BMD - would love to have any one of you initiate contact with the company through your account and report back what happens.
I purchased a service plan in Feb 22 in preparation for my battery warranty expiring on Nov 2022 (P85+ built Nov 2014). I never received a BMD. I traded the car in for a '23 Y in mid-Sept 23, and requested a refund a week later via opening a ticket and sending an email to [email protected] (which generated another ticket).

Both tickets are still open and unresolved with no updates. I never heard back from anyone on my refund request.