Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S battery Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?

OP has the advantage here. The main risk is that they claim they don’t have a appropriate battery to install, and your car is out of service for months. It’s much easier for Tesla to eat the 8k compared to the OP, hope that Tesla realizes this

Im not looking to get free bees’ but I want to challenge their process because they don’t have one. People can’t cough up 10k just like that. I was at a decision point whether to keep the car or not when I was convinced to get a refurbished battery. Had I known it was 22 k . I would have salvaged the car and sold the car in junk yard.
The law is on your side. I would suggest doing a little research on estimate laws in your state. Here is some information for you. As suggested by another poster. Do emails and text messages, take screen shot or print them out as proof.

2006 Code of Virginia § 59.1-207.3 - Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; d...​

59.1-207.3. Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; display of sign required; limitations on liability for delay; exception.

A. Upon request by a customer, prior to the commencement of any repair work on a motor vehicle for which a customer may be charged more than twenty-five dollars, every automobile repair facility doing business in the Commonwealth shall provide the customer a written statement of (i) the estimated cost of labor necessary to complete the work, (ii) the estimated cost of parts necessary to complete work, (iii) a description of the problem or work as described or authorized by the customer, and (iv) the estimated completion time. An automobile repair facility shall have no obligation to provide such written statements prior to 10:00 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m. during a working day.

B. Where a written estimate is requested, no repair work on the motor vehicle may be undertaken, other than such diagnostic work as may be necessary for the preparation of an estimate, until the written estimate has been provided the customer and the customer has authorized the work, either in writing or orally, and no charge for repair work in excess of the written estimate by more than ten percent or, in the case of any motor vehicle which is at least twenty-five model years old, twenty percent or extension of the time for the work may be made unless the additional work represented by such excess charge or the time extension has been authorized, in writing or orally, by the customer.

C. An automobile repair facility may impose reasonable conditions for its obligations to provide written estimates to a customer, including the imposition of a reasonable fee for the preparation of a written estimate and related diagnostic work; provided that any such conditions shall be disclosed to the customer at the time of his request by writing or by sign conspicuously posted at the entrance of the automobile repair facility.

Each automobile repair facility shall display in a conspicuous place at any point where vehicles are normally received for repairs, a sign which states that:

1. The customer may receive a written estimate on request;

2. No repair work charge may exceed the written estimate by more than ten percent unless the additional work represented by the excess charge has been authorized by the customer;

3. Any conditions imposed by the automobile repair facility in providing written estimates, such as the limited hours when written estimates will be prepared or the amount of the reasonable fee charged for preparing a written estimate and for related diagnostic work;

4. The facility shall offer to return all replaced parts except warranty, core charge or trade-in parts required to be returned to a manufacturer or distributor; and

5. Any complaints can be made to the Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs.

The sign heading "Customer Rights" shall be in letters at least one and one-half inches high and the remaining print shall be in letters at least one-fourth inch high with spacing between letters, words and lines so as to be clearly legible.

D. An automobile repair facility shall not be liable for breach of the written estimated completion date for a repair if the delay is occasioned by(i) an act of God or (ii) an unexpected shortage of labor or parts or (iii)other causes beyond the control of the automobile repair facility.

E. Nothing in this section shall require an automobile repair facility to give a written estimate if the facility is unwilling to perform the requested repair work.

F. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the repair of any motor vehicle which is any car listed in the Official Judging Manual of the Antique Automobile Club of America.

(1979, c. 506; 1995, c. 110.)

Upvote 0
Judging from your posts, what you call 'reasonable' is not what Tesla will call reasonable.

Tesla is offering you a heck of a deal but you are too greedy to see it. You should be sent off with your original battery.
I don’t call that a deal at all. It is lack of transparency. They should have consulted me with change of plans and new estimate which they failed to do.

Upvote 0
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?
They can not bait and switch you. Stick to the original.

Side note: only $12.9K for what I presume is a refurbished 85 KWh battery is crazy good value.

Upvote 0
Download and save the copies of your estimate, screenshots of your chat with service manager, etc. immediately. I've had service details completely disappear on me after raising concerns that service was done improperly, or that service was denied on a part that will eventually be out of warranty and need replacing anyway. Save anything that establishes the approval of the initial amount and shows they didn't contact you with an updated estimate.

Then you might need to talk to a lawyer if they don't give your car back.
Thank you I saved the messages and estimate from the app.

Upvote 0
It looks like someone put the wrong battery in and then don’t have a way to change it whether put it the correct one or “eat” the price easily without much upper mgmt hassl, and just push the OP to swallow it. It won’t stand a chance in court, as long as the original agreement is there. Putting the original bad battery in will be a hellish PR, when there is enough publicity, they will think twice.

Upvote 0
It's harder to contact service outside the app these days but I would elevate it past the service center. Someone goofed and put a new battery in or that's all they had and were trying to move your car out quickly. My guess is once the battery is installed, it's no longer "new" and they can't charge $22k for it if installed elsewhere.

I would not pay the extra $10k. Good luck!

Upvote 0
The law is on your side. I would suggest doing a little research on estimate laws in your state. Here is some information for you. As suggested by another poster. Do emails and text messages, take screen shot or print them out as proof.

2006 Code of Virginia § 59.1-207.3 - Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; d...​

59.1-207.3. Written estimate for repair work required upon request; charge in excess of estimate; conditions; display of sign required; limitations on liability for delay; exception.

A. Upon request by a customer, prior to the commencement of any repair work on a motor vehicle for which a customer may be charged more than twenty-five dollars, every automobile repair facility doing business in the Commonwealth shall provide the customer a written statement of (i) the estimated cost of labor necessary to complete the work, (ii) the estimated cost of parts necessary to complete work, (iii) a description of the problem or work as described or authorized by the customer, and (iv) the estimated completion time. An automobile repair facility shall have no obligation to provide such written statements prior to 10:00 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m. during a working day.

B. Where a written estimate is requested, no repair work on the motor vehicle may be undertaken, other than such diagnostic work as may be necessary for the preparation of an estimate, until the written estimate has been provided the customer and the customer has authorized the work, either in writing or orally, and no charge for repair work in excess of the written estimate by more than ten percent or, in the case of any motor vehicle which is at least twenty-five model years old, twenty percent or extension of the time for the work may be made unless the additional work represented by such excess charge or the time extension has been authorized, in writing or orally, by the customer.

C. An automobile repair facility may impose reasonable conditions for its obligations to provide written estimates to a customer, including the imposition of a reasonable fee for the preparation of a written estimate and related diagnostic work; provided that any such conditions shall be disclosed to the customer at the time of his request by writing or by sign conspicuously posted at the entrance of the automobile repair facility.

Each automobile repair facility shall display in a conspicuous place at any point where vehicles are normally received for repairs, a sign which states that:

1. The customer may receive a written estimate on request;

2. No repair work charge may exceed the written estimate by more than ten percent unless the additional work represented by the excess charge has been authorized by the customer;

3. Any conditions imposed by the automobile repair facility in providing written estimates, such as the limited hours when written estimates will be prepared or the amount of the reasonable fee charged for preparing a written estimate and for related diagnostic work;

4. The facility shall offer to return all replaced parts except warranty, core charge or trade-in parts required to be returned to a manufacturer or distributor; and

5. Any complaints can be made to the Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs.

The sign heading "Customer Rights" shall be in letters at least one and one-half inches high and the remaining print shall be in letters at least one-fourth inch high with spacing between letters, words and lines so as to be clearly legible.

D. An automobile repair facility shall not be liable for breach of the written estimated completion date for a repair if the delay is occasioned by(i) an act of God or (ii) an unexpected shortage of labor or parts or (iii)other causes beyond the control of the automobile repair facility.

E. Nothing in this section shall require an automobile repair facility to give a written estimate if the facility is unwilling to perform the requested repair work.

F. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the repair of any motor vehicle which is any car listed in the Official Judging Manual of the Antique Automobile Club of America.

(1979, c. 506; 1995, c. 110.)
Thank you!

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Upvote 0
Im not looking to get free bees’

Dammit for a second there I thought my beekeeping expertise would be relevant.... but I think it's autocorrect.

Well, for the record, I will probably have some extra queens w/bees available next month if you're still interested. Just trying to do my part.

Good luck with the battery too!

Reactions: neo1738
Upvote 0
So that you could decline the 90 kWh pack ... and be sent off as you showed up ?
Or would you then have a different complaint and demand ?
I think your comment is unfair. He went to get a replacement battery and was willing to pay for it. They essentially upsold him without his approval. The law is on his side.

Upvote 0
Tesla is offering you a heck of a deal but you are too greedy to see it. You should be sent off with your original battery.
Not sure if you are being ironic here, but assuming you are not.

If $22,500 for a [new 90 kWh installed minus 85kWh core] is a "heck of a deal", what would you consider a normal non deal price?

Upvote 0
Not sure if you are being ironic here, but assuming you are not.

If $22,500 for a [new 90 kWh installed minus 85kWh core] is a "heck of a deal", what would you consider a normal non deal price?
No irony intended.

Tesla is not obligated to supply a battery of any size or meet any price. His car is out of warranty. Tesla installed what they have and charged about $250/kWh. OP can take it or leave it.

As for comparisons, Nissan owners pay about $10 - $12k for a 24 kWh replacement battery. A 40 kWh pack is sold for $20K (I think before installation costs) but is not available for older cars from the 2011 - 2016 years. Each of these choices is ~ $500/kWh. An apples to apples comparison is tricky though. A remanufactured pack is not a new pack, and a pack sitting on a shelf for years is not a recently manufactured pack.

One other point of comparison: IIRC the details, wk057 was offering a remanufactured by him 90 kWh pack for ~ $20k, obviously no Tesla warranty. A friend of mine with a 2013 Model S and a degraded battery was sorry he missed out on the deal, which he thought was outstanding.

Last point: I will happily pay OP $5k for his shell of a car if it is in good condition, pay Tesla $22k for a new pack, and sail out into the sunset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0