Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often wonder if there are truly brand snobs and if so what percentage that goes to EV... My impression is that the vast majority of buyers once they decide for an EV it resets their internal bias and they go out and start doing some further research on the best EV. Low and behold, this would most of the time be a Tesla.

Obviously I have no data to back this up, but just an impression I get chatting to people.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
A bit of spreadsheeting on Model Y SR prices.

I compared what the % difference is for various options with the Model 3 SR+ and Y SR in Hong Kong.

I then compared the known % differences for the Model 3 SR+ in Australia and interpolated the other markup % figures for Model Y SR. Then worked backwards to give ballpark prices.

The HK$ prices are without their FRT tax,

The A$ price is the driveaway price in Tasmania (noting the stamp duty rebate doesn't yet appear for Tas, so take this as an average price for Australia nationally, ignoring states with incentives).

1625635689203.png

I compared what the % difference is for various options with the Model 3 SR+ and Y SR in Hong Kong.

I then compared the known % differences for the Model 3 SR+ in Australia and interpolated the other markup % figures for Model Y SR. Then worked backwards to give ballpark prices.

The A$ price is the driveaway price in Tasmania (noting the stamp duty rebate doesn't yet appear for Tas, so take this as an average price for Australia nationally, ignoring states with incentives).

View attachment 682153

Great work on putting this together.

Reactions: Chuq

View attachment 682153

This isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The M3 SR+ for $299,800 HK is excluding GST, stamp duty, registration/insurance and delivery fee. Directly converted it is: $51,568. Tesla need to sell it for $62,500 ex GST to get the NSW EV credit. That's over $10k of wiggle room for shipping etc.

+ $6,250 GST
+ $0 Stamp Duty (NSW)
+ $0 Delivery Fee (corporate partner)
+ $500 Reg
+ $500 CTP
+ $100 Plate

= $69,850 drive away

This isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The M3 SR+ for $299,800 HK is excluding GST, stamp duty, registration/insurance and delivery fee. Directly converted it is: $51,568. Tesla need to sell it for $62,500 ex GST to get the NSW EV credit. That's over $10k of wiggle room for shipping etc.

+ $6,250 GST
+ $0 Stamp Duty (NSW)
+ $0 Delivery Fee (corporate partner)
+ $500 Reg
+ $500 CTP
+ $100 Plate

= $69,850 drive away
I intentionally didn't do it that way (direct conversion of HK$-A$) and just decided to compare the known prices to see where a Model Y would fit in the same scale. Both countries have various taxes and fees. The only one I specifically excluded was the FRT in Hong Kong. I'm aware others such as Lex's spreadsheet use the "direct currency conversion + fees/taxes on top" method, so just thought I'd try a different method.

Reactions: David Sowden
So which way are you leaning @Chuq? Grab a Model 3 once the TAS rebate comes into force, or roll the dice for Model Y to be available here later in the year?
Long story. I should document it on my profile :) At the moment I'm trying to get my employer to sign on to the Corporate Program, and also the MY SR news in Hong Kong has made me more optimistic about (a) MY in Australia and (b) MY SR being an option, so waiting to see how that pans out. (MY was always my preference over the M3, but if LR was the lowest spec it was never going to be an option for me)

If Tesla can drop the 3 SR+ price to $59,990 (minus delivery, inc GST) and make the Model Y SR+ $68,749 both models would qualify for NSW $3k EV incentive.

If they can get to those prices, it would make the Y SR+ < $67,000 drive away.

not to toot my own horn but I called this a week before the announcement.

it’s very possible the Model Y SR will come in around $67k drive away in NSW and have higher range than model 3 SR+

crazy…

Reactions: pts260 and Chuq
If a Y SR comes to Australia.

While it's been added for HK, It's only the LR and P for Europe which will now be delivered from Shanghai commencing September.
It would be interesting to know if they’ve started homologation for the Y here. It would seem odd to tool-up for RHD for HK (not a very big market) but not any of the other RHD markets Tesla serves.

My prediction, for what it’s worth, is that Model Y will be available here by year’s end. And given the new incentives recently announced by NSW, I would not rule out SR.

Reactions: Anubis and Chuq
If a Y SR comes to Australia.

While it's been added for HK,
It's only the LR and P for Europe which will now be delivered from Shanghai commencing September.
Yeah it's all very up in the air. I get Tesla doesn't want to Osborne Effect themselves but it would be nice to have some sort of idea what to expect.

My thought: Since Aus/NZ vehicles are coming from Shanghai on an ongoing basis, we will get the full range. Europe is going to be served by Berlin soon, so they're only producing a small number of high margin vehicles now and will produce SR from Berlin later.

This is entirely me being speculative though, and I may be biased in that I'm trying to come up with reasons why the MY SR will come here!

Yeah it's all very up in the air. I get Tesla doesn't want to Osborne Effect themselves but it would be nice to have some sort of idea what to expect.

My thought: Since Aus/NZ vehicles are coming from Shanghai on an ongoing basis, we will get the full range. Europe is going to be served by Berlin soon, so they're only producing a small number of high margin vehicles now and will produce SR from Berlin later.

This is entirely me being speculative though, and I may be biased in that I'm trying to come up with reasons why the MY SR will come here!
I expect the Osborne effect is already in play and Tesla is wanting to offload as many RHD M3's as possible. Once the Y drops there will also be heaps of M3's on Carsales with people wanting to offload their 3 and switch to the Y. Will probably bring down prices in the secondhand market a bit as well.

Reactions: pts260
I expect the Osborne effect is already in play and Tesla is wanting to offload as many RHD M3's as possible. Once the Y drops there will also be heaps of M3's on Carsales with people wanting to offload their 3 and switch to the Y. Will probably bring down prices in the secondhand market a bit as well.

Did this occur with 3 Series sedans when BMW first released the X3 suv? Would be an interesting case to analyse.

I made this post on another forum, thought it may be worth a mention here if anyone can think of any additions...

I'm trying to work out the actual differences between the 3 SR+ and Y SR.

I remember when the Y was first launched it had the black trim, heat pump etc. and the 3 was old style, but since the 3 was updated to match at the start of this year, googling for this sort of thing comes up with a few outdated articles/videos. Only the Shanghai manufactured vehicles have LFP batteries, as I understand it, so again googling brings up info that isn't always relevant to Australian customers.

As it stands the obvious differences are:
  • Hatch opening
  • Increased storage space
  • Increased head room
  • Higher ride height
Other differences are:
  • 3-section folding rear seats
  • SR has premium interior as standard (incl. premium audio, fog lights, heated seats etc)
  • Glass roof sections are split differently
  • Secondary shallow under-boot storage area
  • Rear seat fold down switches
  • 12V outlet in boot
  • Bioweapon defence mode
Options available:
  • 7 seater
I'm sure there's more, any ideas?