Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at crossroad.

IF I knew MY deliveries would start in December up to February latest, I would wait for MY. But since I want an SUV/crossover, model 3 is not for me.

The only alternative I'm not so keen on is MX which is listed at end of 2022 (!)

Basically M3 is the only Tesla you can get in a foreseeable future in Australia.

I think emails and rumours like the one previously seen creates hope, but I have seen nothing to back it up officially. MY isn't registered in Australia and no possibilities of ordering. So it's a dead end.

I'm starting to give up on the idea MY will come to Australia anytime soon. Sadly I may have to move on to another SUV EV unless the ordering goes online anytime soon.

Last edited:
What available options are you considering?
BMW IX3/IX, Mercedes EQA/EQC, Volvo XC40 Recharge. Not so much into Jaguar and I don't think I want to touch a Ford (ehummm Mustang).

Please note, my intention is not really to compare these cars with each other, or even worse, Tesla.

I've only driven the IX3 and XC40 and I feel they are miles behind Tesla. I hate the drama and theatre of haggling where you pretend you don't want the car and the seller pretends he doesn't want to sell it to you (even though I'm a haggling professional 😎).
I hate having to pay extra for things that should be in these cars. Lumbar support, connectivity, big screen etc, offsetting the price by 30%.
I love the idea of no haggle, pick color and wheels and that's it. No drama, no theatre and you get the best electric car from Tesla.

Reality is that I need a new car yesterday. I can wait for max 4-5 months, but model Y seems a distant illusion, at least in Australia where the Model Y has never even set foot before. Model X is even worse.
Unfortunately, Australia is far behind other countries as a majority of drivers think that you need a Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser with snorkel, winch and 2 metres long UHF antennas mounted right in your face whilst cruising down the local suburb. Maybe the size of the car is an extension of a small physical attribute 😂

So as a former BMW and Mercedes SUV/SAV owner wanting to change over to Tesla and give those companies a kick in the derrière with the ugly dealership nonsense, I find it unsatisfying that there isn't anything here in Australia except Model 3...

BMW IX3/IX, Mercedes EQA/EQC, Volvo XC40 Recharge. Not so much into Jaguar and I don't think I want to touch a Ford (ehummm Mustang).

Please note, my intention is not really to compare these cars with each other, or even worse, Tesla.

I've only driven the IX3 and XC40 and I feel they are miles behind Tesla. I hate the drama and theatre of haggling where you pretend you don't want the car and the seller pretends he doesn't want to sell it to you (even though I'm a haggling professional 😎).
I hate having to pay extra for things that should be in these cars. Lumbar support, connectivity, big screen etc, offsetting the price by 30%.
I love the idea of no haggle, pick color and wheels and that's it. No drama, no theatre and you get the best electric car from Tesla.

Reality is that I need a new car yesterday. I can wait for max 4-5 months, but model Y seems a distant illusion, at least in Australia where the Model Y has never even set foot before. Model X is even worse.
Unfortunately, Australia is far behind other countries as a majority of drivers think that you need a Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser with snorkel, winch and 2 metres long UHF antennas mounted right in your face whilst cruising down the local suburb. Maybe the size of the car is an extension of a small physical attribute 😂

So as a former BMW and Mercedes SUV/SAV owner wanting to change over to Tesla and give those companies a kick in the derrière with the ugly dealership nonsense, I find it unsatisfying that there isn't anything here in Australia except Model 3...
Have a test drive of the Merc EQA. You might like it. It feels surprisingly quicker than its specs. A very nice quality SUV and build a quality a level above Tesla - certainly compared to my M3. It can be purchased online and they seem to be selling out every few days. There is a good video on youtube of their production & assembly as well. Good luck in your search..

Last edited:
I have seen nothing to back it up officially. MY isn't registered in Australia and no possibilities of ordering. So it's a dead end.

I'm starting to give up on the idea MY will come to Australia anytime soon. Sadly I may have to move on to another SUV EV unless the ordering goes online anytime soon.
I wouldn't be too concerned. There already are Model Y's in Australia which are believed to be undergoing homologation testing. Tesla probably won't release any official information because they want to sell all the Model 3's they can. Their inventory shows plenty of stock at the moment. They don't want to be left holding unsold stock when the Model Y is released. Once Tesla are ready they'll release the Model Y. Probably sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Hairyman
IF I knew MY deliveries would start in December up to February latest, I would wait for MY. But since I want an SUV/crossover, model 3 is not for me.
Well obviously no-one here really knows, but given RHD MYs are already on sale in HK, will allegedly be released in the UK very soon (see linked YouTube video), I suspect MY will be here within the next 4-6 months.

You could rent a car for the next few months if you really feel you can’t make a decision yet.

The other problem is quite simply the cost of all the alternative cars. Seen the price of an EQC with a hint of any options?
It is hard to find an alternative within a similar price bracket, that can do what tesla already does, particularly if the Y is around $100.
To add, I don’t think it’s the best looking car compared to other Tesla’s either. The P looks good on the screen but the whole shape is slightly awkward IMO. That said, I’ll be in the market for one after I’ve paid the 3 off simply from cost point I made above.

Tesla have forced the auto industry to consider different design/directions with car making (thank goodness!) I think if it wasn’t for them, we’d still be banging away with an ICE as long as they kept making them or the oil ran out.

It won’t help your timeframe, but the only other thing I think that MAY be close is the Rivian when it arrives. But realistically it’s years away from AUS.

Thanks for the answers. EQA would have been a choice, but after checking it out its not a option for rear seat passangers. Just like almost every other manufacturer, they've ripped out the engine and slapped in a battery without changing much in the size of the car. You almost have to squat in the backseat. Wonder if the CEO of the company tried the car before releasing it.

EQC probably the same problem.

I agree the price range of Model Y is appealing. It is in the same price range of a premium SUV like X3. But I dont fancy paying much more for a car like IX3 which is just unfinished.

Maybe the IX is a better choice. Or who knows, maybe Ioniq 5 is the answer to Tesla even though I never thought about looking at Hyundai ever before...

Bottom line is that Tesla knows SUVs are what a lot of people want. If they are holding back on the Model Y because they want to sell their stock of M3, that is not a smart move when competition ramps up.

Imagine going to BMW and finding out you can only buy the 3 series sedan. Everything else and you would have to wait till end of 2022. No 5 series with M package. No X series. Nada.

That can't be good business.

Bottom line is that Tesla knows SUVs are what a lot of people want. If they are holding back on the Model Y because they want to sell their stock of M3, that is not a smart move when competition ramps up.

Imagine going to BMW and finding out you can only buy the 3 series sedan. Everything else and you would have to wait till end of 2022. No 5 series with M package. No X series. Nada.

That can't be good business.
Yeah it's a bit unbelievable that Tesla is currently a single car company in Australia. It makes it hard to take them seriously when they literally only sell the Model 3. As competing electric SUV's enter the market (Ioniq 5, BMW ix3, Mercedes EQA etc) people will vote with their wallets. I doubt that Tesla will be happy to lose sales for long.

It's not good business so I'd be shocked if the Model Y wasn't available by the end of this year.

Reactions: DrTe$la
I'm surprised they started shipping cars from Shanghai to Europe in the first place, given it's only going to be happening for a few months before they start coming out of Berlin*. Each region is different, not just charge port, driving side, but other minor changes in each market (e.g. tail light colours, seat belt release button colour) and they would have had to configure this up specifically for mainland Europe.

Whereas Shanghai is going to be the source for Australia/NZ for some time - and the demand would have minimal impact on the factory - so it would have made sense to just get Australia/NZ production up and going as it will be happening for some time.

*(Does anyone know if Berlin is going to produce 3 & Y or just the Y?)

The current initial stage for Berlin is just Model Y. Later stages may add model 3 but more likely the Europe $25k equivalent model. Berlin (and Texas) will start production with the newer generation Model Y featuring front and rear castings. Batteries may initially be 2170 but should transition to 4680 structural pack once local 4680 cell production is up to speed.

I also expect Shanghai will introduce front and rear castings as they are currently building extra space for more Gigapresses. Structural pack with 4680 from Shanghai may have to wait until CATL or LG start 4680 production as Tesla seems to be sticking with local suppliers in China. Eventually all Model Y production should move the the next generation production but we may have to wait a bit longer for this in Australia.

I'm surprised they started shipping cars from Shanghai to Europe in the first place, given it's only going to be happening for a few months before they start coming out of Berlin*. Each region is different, not just charge port, driving side, but other minor changes in each market (e.g. tail light colours, seat belt release button colour) and they would have had to configure this up specifically for mainland Europe.

Whereas Shanghai is going to be the source for Australia/NZ for some time - and the demand would have minimal impact on the factory - so it would have made sense to just get Australia/NZ production up and going as it will be happening for some time.

I'm surprised as well, I don't see how it makes sense from an economic perspective. Europe is a long way from China by boat. Shipping freight from China to Europe takes about two weeks longer than it does to Australia which adds costs and delays Tesla in getting paid. Europe also has significantly higher import duties on cars than we do. The whole thing seems pointless when Elon Musk is hoping to get GigaBerlin running this year.

Now that NSW has subsidies I believe that Tesla will be eager to start sending stock here.