Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised as well, I don't see how it makes sense from an economic perspective. Europe is a long way from China by boat. Shipping freight from China to Europe takes about two weeks longer than it does to Australia which adds costs and delays Tesla in getting paid. Europe also has significantly higher import duties on cars than we do. The whole thing seems pointless when Elon Musk is hoping to get GigaBerlin running this year.

Now that NSW has subsidies I believe that Tesla will be eager to start sending stock here.
I think Tesla is facing the challenge in Europe in that they need to have SUV model out to satisfy the demand that would otherwise go to competitors. Many buyers would probably prefer the Y but in its absence may get the ID4, EQA/C, iX, XC40, EV6 or other EV SUV/crossover brands available there. Giga Berlin may start running this year but production ramp up will probably take up months to 2022.

I don't think Australia is neglected. The 3 variants of Model Y have been shipped here from Shanghai in early August for certification presumably. My guess is they will open the order in October and start shipping in a month or so. RHD delivery in Hong Kong will only begin later this month for SR+ with LR and P later this year. Hopefully we will not be far behind. Tesla need to keep the leading position in Australia, just like anywhere else in the world.

I think Tesla is facing the challenge in Europe in that they need to have SUV model out to satisfy the demand that would otherwise go to competitors. Many buyers would probably prefer the Y but in its absence may get the ID4, EQA/C, iX, XC40, EV6 or other EV SUV/crossover brands available there. Giga Berlin may start running this year but production ramp up will probably take up months to 2022.

I don't think Australia is neglected. The 3 variants of Model Y have been shipped here from Shanghai in early August for certification presumably. My guess is they will open the order in October and start shipping in a month or so. RHD delivery in Hong Kong will only begin later this month for SR+ with LR and P later this year. Hopefully we will not be far behind. Tesla need to keep the leading position in Australia, just like anywhere else in the world.
What you say makes sense and I hope the people at Tesla are ready to flick that switch so the button says "Order Now - Special Price" instead of "Stay Updated".

I sincerely hope that Australia isn't neglected, although things seem awfully different here in comparison to Europe.

I'm after two Model Y cars. If it doesn't happen soon, I'll be out of Tesla's order book for 3-4 years. I might have to go back to BMW I'm having a love/hate relationship with and I thought I could divorce after 20+ years. EV or ICE the same.

Either that or my wife will divorce me as she's sick and tired of driving a KIA rental much longer 😂

I heard they make 1000 model Y per day. Can't they have an Oz day at the factory? Does Europe have to be rescued that badly?

Reactions: AngryLitig8r
bought an Audi SQ7 after being told I have to wait for 7 months for Model S. that was in 2014.

like OP, MY is my preferred Tesla. Knowing MY is ‘essentially‘ the same car as M3 (other than the ride height), did things differently this time, bought a M3. Enjoying the Tesla experience for one month now while eagerly waiting for MY launch.

This. Tesla is facing real market share pressure in Europe, where Tesla has less than 15% of the BEV market, compared to 60% here and around 70% in USA (markets where the ability to drive long distances trumps almost every other consideration in buying a BEV).

Europe is crazy on hatches, not so much on sedans. They also don’t like large cars and S/X have always struggled there. Without Model Y in Europe, Tesla would be at risk of significant and potentially long-lasting mindshare loss, and the market is so big there for BEV they cannot risk being absent from the market for any length of time.

Pure and simple market pressure forced them to get Model Y to Europe before Berlin comes online. Possibly the first time in Tesla’s history where they have been placed in that position. Up til now, Tesla has always been able to dictate the terms because there wasn’t meaningful competition.

Tesla has a bunch of reasons to sell some Y in EU. They pretty much promised deliveries in Q3, GF berlin is behind..

They get very valuable co2 credits to sell, these are worth multiple thousands of dollars per car.

They can sell Chinese made cars into Europe at a premium they dont get here and in NZ.

This should all sort itself out once Berlin starts up and over the next 4-6 months but it is what it is.

Despite the fact that I'm looking at an EV forum, channel, group or otherwise several times during each day, I still find myself refreshing the Tesla Model Y website at least daily, just in case I'm the one to discover it!

I think going by past changes, it's more likely to happen on a Friday night or Sunday night/Monday morning?

Reactions: Leeroy
I think the Berlin delays are causing Tesla to export Model Y to EU before rest of APAC. Still possibility that order page opens up in early Q4 but I doubt it. Most likely imo will be Q2 next year with deliveries very shortly thereafter (as to not Osborne the Model 3).

Model Y SR will be $68,649 or less (inc GST before on road costs) I'm practically sure of it. In every APAC market where Model Y exists, its 10-12% dearer than Model 3. Model 3 is now $59,990 inc GST so there's precedent there. Factor in the $3k rebate and stamp duty waiver and you're looking at drive away pricing of ~$66k. Incredible value for money.

Despite the fact that I'm looking at an EV forum, channel, group or otherwise several times during each day, I still find myself refreshing the Tesla Model Y website at least daily, just in case I'm the one to discover it!

I think going by past changes, it's more likely to happen on a Friday night or Sunday night/Monday morning?
Fear not; I knocked up a twitter account today to notify when a specific change occurs on the Australian Model Y webpage. It should tweet within 5 mins of a specific change. It tested out okay using the Model 3 page, but no guarantees. 😁

I think the Berlin delays are causing Tesla to export Model Y to EU before rest of APAC. Still possibility that order page opens up in early Q4 but I doubt it. Most likely imo will be Q2 next year with deliveries very shortly thereafter (as to not Osborne the Model 3).
I don't think the Model Y will be that late. By Q2 we'll already have the BMW iX and iX3, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, Volvo XC40, Mercedes EQA, Lexus UX300e, Polestar etc. By then Tesla would have lost the first/early-mover advantage and will be playing catch up.

Also Tesla have already got some Model Y's in Australia, presumably doing testing. That suggests to me that Tesla are gunning for a release this year.

I don't think the Model Y will be that late. By Q2 we'll already have the BMW iX and iX3, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, Volvo XC40, Mercedes EQA, Lexus UX300e, Polestar etc. By then Tesla would have lost the first/early-mover advantage and will be playing catch up.
The main problem is that now that so many companies are onboard BEV and rushing through to production means that Tesla's advantage is fading rapidly.

The fact that people are quite brand loyal in the premium segment makes it difficult to change people's minds. Someone who has been buying BMW or Mercs will expect the perceived and possibly actual higher build quality from their favourite brand. SUVs make a huge segment of premium vehicles.

Now if you've been driving BMW for 20+ years (like I have), you already know that BMW is on track to deliver. If not, a visit to your local distributor will enlighten you. Most will stay loyal to the brand because of build quality and other unmeasurable parameters. The same applies for Merc and Volvo.

Now in my eyes, Tesla Model 3 should have come out with a hatchback. It practically is a hatch, but someone just didn't put in that bloody hatch. Poor choice. No wonder they need to get the 3s sold before the MY comes out if that statement is true. If it is, then it is in itself proof of the management and engineering mistake.

Furthermore, without an SUV in multiple markets, Tesla is about to lose the race (read Australia).

I won't say the game is over, but if Q1 or Q2 2022 is the release date in Australia for MY, then the race of dominance is over.

I have made the mental change to go for EV. I have solar panels on my roof. I'm ready to abandon BMW for many reaaons. I've dropped the range anxiety if I can get actual 400Km out of the car. I'm ready for 2 Tesla Model Y cars. And the money is in the bank waiting.

But... where are my 2 Model Y? They are on their way to Germany with the steering wheel on the wrong side (!!)

I'm no auto expert, but I understand business. This is bad business for the future of Tesla in Australia.
Do I feel Australia is discriminated? Absolutely!
Do I feel that Tesla is making the wrong decision? Absolutely!

Let's not go into the Cybertruck business. By the time Cybertruck comes to Australia, Ford and maybe Toyota and other new EV truck brands will be dominating the market. And this is in a country where people love 4WD with huge whips. Australia will again not be prioritized.

Overall, the only thing that comes to my mind is: "too little, too late"!

Usual small market priorities. Put simply Tesla can't supply everyone and they've got a 3+ month waiting list in the US, which is also losing them advantage.

Interesting seeing the OutofSpec Motoring review of the KiaEV6.

It's including things like Auto Lane Change, and feed from blinker cams when you activate signal on display as part of the default package.
So some of Teslas tech advantages are being exceeded by competitors.

Reactions: positiv