Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current M3 LR is 79k here driveaway
Yeah I always suspect the MY LR would be similar to M3 P price wise, so about 95k driveaway. Then again of course you're right, it'll depend on whether we will have a price hike on M3.

Come to think of it, the ioniq 5 dual motor is about 81k - 82k driveaway, so still about 13k difference.

Now I just have to pick one that doesn't get me that death stare from missus.

When I enquired about plans for the Model Y to go on sale in AU, the SA in Chatswood told me that there were Aussies ordering the Model Y from the Tesla USA website.

"So they're ordering from the USA website and they're getting delivered in Australia?"
"Yes. It's a long wait but Tesla will build the Model Y for you and they then deliver it here."

At that point I decided that discussing this topic any further was a waste of time.

I was at the SC yesterday getting a sensor replaced and the sales guy in the office asked if I was interested in a Y. I replied of course I am but no good trying to sell me a car you don’t have for sale yet!! When’s the release date???? He said he’d loose his job if he told me that….. and to expect $100k ish for LR.

I think you mean “lose” his job… but the reality is that bloke has absolutely no idea when Model Y will arrive in Australia. He wanted you to think that he knows something you don’t but in reality he doesn’t know either.

If there was actually any firming of a date for MY here, and any internal Tesla correspondence or artefacts that provided substance to that date, it would be known by now, because Tesla leaks like a sieve.

• Funny
Reactions: Fazza
The Y was my preference but upon further consideration, I’d be waiting god knows how long, the LR is going to be around the 90k mark and have similar range to the m3 RWD. So I decided that paying an almost 30k premium just for a hatch wasn’t worth it, although it would be very nice to have.

When I enquired about plans for the Model Y to go on sale in AU, the SA in Chatswood told me that there were Aussies ordering the Model Y from the Tesla USA website.

"So they're ordering from the USA website and they're getting delivered in Australia?"
"Yes. It's a long wait but Tesla will build the Model Y for you and they then deliver it here."

At that point I decided that discussing this topic any further was a waste of time.
LOL.
Has to be one of the best responses ive seen so far. Just goes to show how little the SA at Tesla are told or know.

The Y was my preference but upon further consideration, I’d be waiting god knows how long, the LR is going to be around the 90k mark and have similar range to the m3 RWD. So I decided that paying an almost 30k premium just for a hatch wasn’t worth it, although it would be very nice to have.
I wanted to do this too but my wife wanted the higher ride height and cargo space of the SUV so i have to keep waiting :(

I think you mean “lose” his job… but the reality is that bloke has absolutely no idea when Model Y will arrive in Australia. He wanted you to think that he knows something you don’t but in reality he doesn’t know either.

If there was actually any firming of a date for MY here, and any internal Tesla correspondence or artefacts that provided substance to that date, it would be known by now, because Tesla leaks like a sieve.
Wouldnt it be funny if he did know of an announcement and it was only weeks away?

Holy *sugar*. Did he laugh after he said it, or did you? Is he just baiting to try and see how stupid people are? Still flabbergasted that someone would claim this!

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
Not sure what your problem is?
You have choices. Why not go elsewhere, instead of ranting like child who cannot find its toy.
Given the achievements of Tesla, I cannot agree with your claim where their heads are.
The way you go on about it seems to confirm where yours is.
LOL - this was funny. You are a true comedian. You are implying my head is in my ass. I get it.
I've already been told I am an asshat on this forum. So you are kind of late to the party Max G. You are not pulling out original jokes out of your... hat?

Meanwhile, just curious. Does any of you more professional and knowledgeable people who rant about Tesla actually have a date of delivery in mind? So many people seemed so certain earlier on. Seems like all prophecies for an order-book in October, November, December, before Christmas and now soon January all died out. So what is your take? Seems like this forum has died, so I take it all hope is out for a delivery this year?

DickRobinson and MaxGee, you don't have to respond unless you feel compelled to.
Thanks.

LOL - this was funny. You are a true comedian. You are implying my head is in my ass. I get it.
I've already been told I am an asshat on this forum. So you are kind of late to the party Max G. You are not pulling out original jokes out of your... hat?

Meanwhile, just curious. Does any of you more professional and knowledgeable people who rant about Tesla actually have a date of delivery in mind? So many people seemed so certain earlier on. Seems like all prophecies for an order-book in October, November, December, before Christmas and now soon January all died out. So what is your take? Seems like this forum has died, so I take it all hope is out for a delivery this year?

DickRobinson and MaxGee, you don't have to respond unless you feel compelled to.
Thanks.
I was definitely one of those optimistic people saying and hoping for the orders to open in November/December (this was purely based on 3 orders opening 1 month after UK) but that came and went and like youve said Jan is nearly over too.

Theres a couple of things that keep my hopes up. Texas and Berlin will be online soon and more so when Berlin is online it will free up Shanghai (thats the hope) and then orders may possibly open. So in saying that, Berlin is rumoured to be starting deliveries in March (confirmed by multiple customers awaiting orders) so by then Tesla will know production numbers better and may even open Y orders in Feb March production in April at Shanghai and then deliveries May/June.

All this is pure speculation but its the hope i hold onto for a Y in Australia in 2022.