Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of Govt approval do they need to run a car here for a long extended test? Would it have to be entered on the approved models database (forget what that is at the moment)? I assume they would want it running around the outback on public roads not just circling Lang Lang or similar test track. Surely "they" would want to rack up 50,000 km or far more to get meaningful stats. Guessing they want some results before the US summer otherwise they would test it in death valley or something.

Getting somewhat off topic but it's interesting (still disappointed though). I am with you Stuart, would LOVE that german cherry red but no real hope of it for us this year.
Ordered a M3LR AWD Blue today, for the driving fun.

If a MYLR AWD Cherry Red is offered in Aus in the future, will buy one of them.

"Surely" the MY Long Range can't be too far away from release in Oz? The first rush of MY orders are going to be delivered by around the end of March, they have bought back the referral program, slowing economy...It just makes sense damit! ;)
You'd think with having heaps of MYP in inventory they would be over their fear of cannibalism and hit fire in the LR now. This month I reckon.

Reactions: Stuart2023
Unfortunately unable to access manage account via the tesla app/website - getting " page unavaailable"
Likely they are getting swamped.

Question:

When does the Front motor in a Dual motor activate - all the time or only when high acceleration is requested via the pedal?

Edit: managed to swop to MYLP. Interestingly any colour change induces a LCT of $340.

Last edited:
Unfortunately unable to access manage account via the tesla app/website - getting " page unavaailable"

Question:

When does the Front motor in a Dual motor activate - all the time or only when high acceleration is requested via the pedal?
For the 3s it is when you accelerate had, are in harder corners or when traction begins to get lost from my experience.

Question:

I got in to the account page but there is no option to change the spec once VIN is assigned. However since my EDD range has not arrived, Tesla rep on the phone has put in a case to change it over. If you don't have a VIN assigned there should be an option to change. By the way I have been having trouble with the Account page (web browser version) for about a week, it's refused to respond many times And yes especially today.
I can't answer on the front motor but my impression is that its full time. Don't think there is a "coasting" option because on deceleration it goes in energy banking mode (charging into the battery). But I could be 100% wrong.

I can't answer on the front motor but my impression is that its full time. Don't think there is a "coasting" option because on deceleration it goes in energy banking mode (charging into the battery).
The front motor is an induction motor which Tesla can put into "torque sleep" when it's not required. That means it can freewheel without using any energy.
It can also produce power and regen braking when required.

The rear motor is permanent magnet which can't be put to sleep, so it's always active.

Now here's a question. The long range has an estimated range of 533km but with an 80-85% maximum charge. That puts it about the same as the RWD. I wonder why they call it 'Long Range'?
You can charge them to 100%, but it is best for the battery to only have it at 100% for short periods ie set to be fully charged just before scheduled departure.

The SR+ are using a different battery chemistry which is better if it does get charged to 100% fairly regularly.

So you can get further with an LR than an SR.

The SR+ are using a different battery chemistry which is better if it does get charged to 100% fairly regularly.
Im not sure that 100% is better for a LFP battery. Its still a Lithium ion battery. The reason for the 100% (I think ) because the battery management system can more accurately calculate range when the battery is charged to 100% - when the battery is a LFP. This is because for a LFP battery the voltage changes very little until it reaches full charge and then it jumps.

By extension an 80% charge (or less) might still extend the life of an LFP battery at the expense of accurate range calculation.

See here

You can charge them to 100%, but it is best for the battery to only have it at 100% for short periods ie set to be fully charged just before scheduled departure.

So you can get further with an LR than an SR.
So let me rephrase what you're saying.

You're saying that you only get that full range for "short periods". So for the vast majority of the time your range is same as the RWD?

LFP's can be charged to 100% most of the time, and is known to degrade much slower than NCA over time. It's the sort of battery you want if you want to do a lot of kms over more years.

Reactions: johnchidgey