Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just spoke to a Tesla rep, theyre taking names and RN's over the phone for those that want to switch to LR, as they don't know how long until IT can add the option to the edit design tab. The rep also assured me that anyone with a SR switching today will stay ahead of those placing brand new orders....

Reactions: Quickst
So let me rephrase what you're saying.

You're saying that you only get that full range for "short periods". So for the vast majority of the time your range is same as the RWD?

LFP's can be charged to 100% most of the time, and is known to degrade much slower than NCA over time. It's the sort of battery you want if you want to do a lot of kms over more years.
Yes. For day to day use I have an effectively shorter range, but it doesn’t affect me because my daily driving is under 60km.

For the road trips the battery gets almost fully cycled a couple of times in the day and makes trip planning more flexible because of the extra range.

Reactions: Stuart2023
Finally the MY Dual Motor LR is released in Australia, but nooooooooo adding any colour, eg blue, puts it just above the LCT limit (so no EV FBT exemption) ! For those looking to Novate Lease a MYLR in any colour other than White, please inform Tesla they are approx $300 Aus over the limit. Now about to cancel my M3LR and put an order in for a MYLR 'white' :(, then planning to body wrap it Dark Red (like the EU ones)... :). searching wraps now...

Good point, interesting, can we order MY LR Colour now, but specify "please deliver after June 2023, not before".... currently delivery estimates May-June would be risky... Might order MY LR White and hope price drops ($300 Aus), or indication of LCT going up before hand and able to modify to "colour" then... Was informed approx 80% of Tesla sales in Aus are now Novated Leases. (suspect most EV sales in Aus are now novated leases), so I suspect Tesla keeping a good eye on all the comments and hopefully able to make a choice on feedback received today.

Footer change needed to "Will buy a MY LR Blue if under the LCT limit"

Last edited:
the extra range when it needs it - on long road trips.
There are some other benefits beyond just extra range:

My weekly average km M-F is about 300km

If you have solar panels but car is at work during the day, the extra battery may just give you that extra range just enough so that you could charge vehicle just on weekends using the solar than having to use off peak electricity.

This also means a battery with more range requires a lower state of charge on Monday morning to accomodate the weekly km than a lower range battery having to travel the same distance. This means a possibly slightly longer battery life.

Using Sentry mode in a LR might not be as problematic with battery drain

For long distance travel, A longer range battery arriving at a charger at the same low state of charge as a shorter range battery does not need to charge to the same state of charge as a shorter range battery to get the same range out of the charge. Possibly this means less time at a commercial charger because the last few kW always take the longest???

Last edited:
Interesting, and makes sense. Is there any way to know what batteries are in a Tesla? It'd be cool to get confirmation when the MYLRs start arriving in Oz.
Change of battery technology is a huge thing so it will be all over the media and blogs and twitter when it happens. Until then assume no change and check out other markets that already get LR ex-Shanghai if you are really interested/concerned. I think that's Hong Kong, Singapore and of course China itself and probably other markets.
My understanding is that it will be the same tech as the performance. Cheers

Has anyone who changed an existing older order to the LR model asked whether we will still get a charging cable included? My original MYP order qualified (ordered June 22) and I now have a MYLR replacing it on the same reservation, so wondering if the cable will come or not. I could see arguments both ways from Tesla's perspective!

There are some other benefits beyond just extra range:

My weekly average km M-F is about 300km

If you have solar panels but car is at work during the day, the extra battery may just give you that extra range just enough so that you could charge vehicle just on weekends using the solar than having to use off peak electricity.

This also means a battery with more range requires a lower state of charge on Monday morning to accomodate the weekly km than a lower range battery having to travel the same distance. This means a possibly slightly longer battery life.

Using Sentry mode in a LR might not be as problematic with battery drain

For long distance travel, A longer range battery arriving at a charger at the same low state of charge as a shorter range battery does not need to charge to the same state of charge as a shorter range battery to get the same range out of the charge. Possibly this means less time at a commercial charger because the last few kW always take the longest???
If 300km is your weekly M-F average then a RWD will also meet your requirements for charging off solar on weekends. The RWD battery is an LFP which is more than happy at 100%, whereas the NCA is happier being charged to lower states of charge.

For long distance travel, the LR will get you point to point faster. Check out Bjorn's 1000km challenge results between a MIC Model 3 SR+ and a Model 3 LR.

TBH, NCA is happy to be charged to 100% as long as you're going to be using it. What it doesn't like, which is to be left at close to 100% and just sitting there in the garage.

As a side note, when you charge to close to 100% you'll use your brake pads as the charge level is too high to do regen.

The RWD battery is an LFP which is more than happy at 100%,
Again is the "happy at 100%" because Tesla recommends to charge it to 100%. Are we actually sure that LFP batteries do not lose max charge at 100% compared to 80-90% or lower?.

The recommendation to charge LFP to 100% as far as I can ascertain is because the Battery management system is only accurately able to calculate range when the LFP battery is charged to 100%.does anyone have evidence that LFP batteries are not adversely affected by repeated 100% charge

It's a Li-Ion battery whatever it's chemistry and repeated 100% charge is never as good as a lower state of charge.

If 300km is your weekly M-F average then a RWD will also meet your requirements for charging off solar on weekends
Not necessarily.
Range reduces a bit in winter and sentry mode imposes a battery drain. The car (for me) would be parked at work up to 12hrs at a time
It also depends what starting max state of charge you use. I'm still not convinced that 100% LFP state of charge is good for the battery.