Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though it does seem like kind of an anachronism to take a Tesla to a drive-in.

We just took our youngest to see Finding Dory at the local drive in theatre. We make it a fun event, bring the nurf football and blankets and pillows, fold the rear seats down and "camp out" while watching from the back of the car. And the Tesla is an excellent car for this purpose.

Reactions: benjiejr and msnow
Two Tesla moments for me this week.

Friday night I'm picking up family at LAX and walking to the parking lot from the baggage claim when a Model X is passing through. Overheard by passerbys: "That's one nice SUV! What is it?". "Wow, that's a Model X"

I'm sitting inside the hotel lounge waiting for my car to supercharge when I see another Tesla owner leave to go back to his car. I see him walk past my car and do a double take as he notices the Ludicrous bar.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I've been watching other drivers as they go past my car at intersections, parking lots, and such. I've only seen two types of people who give my car any kind of look: Millennials and people driving sports cars. Poor guy who was about 20 driving an old beater Ford Bronco the other day almost drove into a pole looking at my car.

My old car has been parked out in the driveway for 2 weeks and the neighbors must have seen the Tesla come and go (we live at the end of a long cul-de-sac), but I don't think a single neighbor has even noticed I have a new car. I talked to my neighbor who always has a Mercedes on lease (commercial real estate agent) yesterday and he only wanted to talk about his house.

Non-car people Boomers and Gen-Xers, Tesla is off their radar, at least around here. Younger people notice though.

the neighbors must have seen the Tesla come and go (we live at the end of a long cul-de-sac), but I don't think a single neighbor has even noticed I have a new car.
I doubt they didn't notice.

I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so I drive by all of my neighbors before I get to my house, I also thought that no one noticed/knew what it was/assumed it's a regular car.

Until one random day when we were all snowed in (like I said cul-de-sac, the county cleans us last) I started chatting with several of them unrelated to Tesla, and each of them had something to say about the Tesla (they knew what it was, it was just general how much range I can get, etc. type stuff).

So I went to get my annual safety inspection done today, it was... hilarious.

The guy has never done a Tesla before. He checks the things he can (horn, headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, turn signals, wipers), then comes out to look for me

Him: How do I open the hood?
Me: <goes to show him, and tells him I'll close it, so he doesn't crease it>
Him: Where's the engine?
Me: There isn't one, it's electric.
His coworker: The engine is in the trunk
Me: OK, let's go look
Both of them go look
Me: See, no engine, only kids seats
Him: But then how do I check the belts and hoses?
Me: There are no belts, as there's no engine...

I think at this point the guy was dumbfounded, I ask him if he needs me to show him the 4 points for raising the car (to check tires and brakes), he tells me it's not necessary and issues me a new sticker and sends me on my way.

All the while his coworker is asking me questions about the car (range, speed, cost, charging, etc. etc.)

--------

After then went across the street to the barber to get a haircut, and while the owner was cutting my hair one of his employees spends the whole time asking me about the Tesla.

So I went to get my annual safety inspection done today, it was... hilarious.

The guy has never done a Tesla before. He checks the things he can (horn, headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, turn signals, wipers), then comes out to look for me

Him: How do I open the hood?
Me: <goes to show him, and tells him I'll close it, so he doesn't crease it>
Him: Where's the engine?
Me: There isn't one, it's electric.
His coworker: The engine is in the trunk
Me: OK, let's go look
Both of them go look
Me: See, no engine, only kids seats
Him: But then how do I check the belts and hoses?
Me: There are no belts, as there's no engine...

I think at this point the guy was dumbfounded, I ask him if he needs me to show him the 4 points for raising the car (to check tires and brakes), he tells me it's not necessary and issues me a new sticker and sends me on my way.

All the while his coworker is asking me questions about the car (range, speed, cost, charging, etc. etc.)

--------

After then went across the street to the barber to get a haircut, and while the owner was cutting my hair one of his employees spends the whole time asking me about the Tesla.

So do you feel safer now:)

I doubt they didn't notice.

I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so I drive by all of my neighbors before I get to my house, I also thought that no one noticed/knew what it was/assumed it's a regular car.

Until one random day when we were all snowed in (like I said cul-de-sac, the county cleans us last) I started chatting with several of them unrelated to Tesla, and each of them had something to say about the Tesla (they knew what it was, it was just general how much range I can get, etc. type stuff).
I would prefer neighbors not notice. Once my S comes in my neighbors will be all over me about how I'm the rich guy on the block (not true) I think i'm cool (true) :) etc..... I do have good neighbors but sometimes they can be a little too "involved" in what I'm doing :(

I would prefer neighbors not notice. Once my S comes in my neighbors will be all over me about how I'm the rich guy on the block (not true) I think i'm cool (true) :) etc..... I do have good neighbors but sometimes they can be a little too "involved" in what I'm doing :(

I don't really want to be the focus of attention, so it's good nobody has noticed. I'm definitely not the richest person in the neighborhood. I make a reasonably good living, but I was only able to save up because my overhead is so low and I have no children.

• Informative
Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I don't really want to be the focus of attention, so it's good nobody has noticed. I'm definitely not the richest person in the neighborhood. I make a reasonably good living, but I was only able to save up because my overhead is so low and I have no children.
This is me...I still live in the same tiny house we bought in the early 90's when our salaries were less than half what they are today. No kids, no desire to move. But having a mortgage payment less than most people's rent (and soon to be paid in full) allows us to do a lot of things, like buying Teslas!

I don't care what anyone thinks, about anything really. Anyone who knows me knows I just love cars, and I'm not rich nor a snob. Everyone else can just mind their own business!

That makes three of us.

We bought a smaller house, because we don't want our mortgage to anchor us and prevent us from doing what we like (spending time outdoors, traveling, photography, driving a Tesla, spoiling our kids, etc.)

While we can "afford" a much bigger mortgage, I'd rather spend money on things I enjoy, like the Tesla.

This is me...I still live in the same tiny house we bought in the early 90's when our salaries were less than half what they are today. No kids, no desire to move. But having a mortgage payment less than most people's rent (and soon to be paid in full) allows us to do a lot of things, like buying Teslas!

I don't care what anyone thinks, about anything really. Anyone who knows me knows I just love cars, and I'm not rich nor a snob. Everyone else can just mind their own business!
Same here..and with my Model X going back for the early issues multiple times I bring home a new loaner every few weeks. Just yesterday one of the neighbors caught up to me at the mailbox and asked ..how many Teslas do you own? :oops:

This is probably the first of many tesla moments I'll have but my wife and I took delivery yesterday. Needless to say once we got home, I spent an hour in the car in the garage playing around with the settings/profiles etc. the garage door was closed and AC was on in the car.

Got lost in the moment with all excitement and I had a minor freak out moment thinking I'm about to kill myself with the car running in an enclosed space and all. Then I remembered I was in a Tesla . . .