Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors: PLEASE stop lying about specifications (60 to 75 upgrade)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a 75 and feel it is the best range for me and doesn't make me suffer too much anxiety on longer runs. I have a 260 mile roundtrip weekly and also can make it there and only need one stop on the way back, or on the way there and no stopping for the home leg.

I also built in tiredness, laziness, wishing to go home quicker and the 75 fitted my needs just right, plus the 75 I got was on a good deal inventory so made even more sense.

No regrets on a 75 here, and thats reading all the arguments for the 60.

Thanks for seconding my hunch. To round out what you’ve already said, I want that extra padding in mileage, not only for tiredness and laziness, but also so I can floor it and take up the inevitable impromptu freeway drag race and not have to worry about babying and hypermiling the car along the way.

• Funny
Reactions: ma47 and gabeincal
It is established that charging to 100%is not harmful if you drive it righr after charging. See the thread on the battery that was charged to 100% twice a day for 200,000 mi.. as for 60 vs 75 or 90, 90 is one third more than a S 60. For me the 75 was worth it, but 90 is too rich as you have to take stuff I don't want like dual motors. In my case, I determined that the extra 40 miles was worth it as it allows a trip a 60 can't make without diverting for a splash charge. Visitors on a short trip get upset when something takes a couple of hours out of their time that they don't understand. Come visit and I'll show you.

Need some clarification on what you’re saying. Not harmful to charge to 100% as long as you drive right away after charging - “Right away” meaning, after unplugging from the charger, or very, very soon after your indicator reads that you’ve reached 100%?

Thanks.

Need some clarification on what you’re saying. Not harmful to charge to 100% as long as you drive right away after charging - “Right away” meaning, after unplugging from the charger, or very, very soon after your indicator reads that you’ve reached 100%?

Thanks.
Tesla has never given exact data on 100%charging. I believe this is partly because it might be taken by some as some sort of guarantee and partly because they really don't know as may be highly specific to each battery. This has been discussed several times in threads. Personally, i follow the thought that you charge to 90% as normal over nite and then charge to100% starting about 2hours before you leave. No one has reportes sitting at 100% for 2-3 hours has caused them degredation. In fact, there is one owner who reportedly has been trying to kill his battery in an arguement and been unsuccessful. In my case, finishing a100% charge to rated miles often leaves me with regeneration still working. 100% may not be really 100% for some cars.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Tesla has never given exact data on 100%charging. I believe this is partly because it might be taken by some as some sort of guarantee and partly because they really don't know as may be highly specific to each battery. This has been discussed several times in threads. Personally, i follow the thought that you charge to 90% as normal over nite and then charge to100% starting about 2hours before you leave. No one has reportes sitting at 100% for 2-3 hours has caused them degredation. In fact, there is one owner who reportedly has been trying to kill his battery in an arguement and been unsuccessful. In my case, finishing a100% charge to rated miles often leaves me with regeneration still working. 100% may not be really 100% for some cars.

Clear enough explanation under the circumstances. I think I’ll be following your example, charging to 90% every evening, etc.

Thank you.

Charging a "60" to 100% is basically like charging a 75 to 86%... that's only 4% off of the 90% most people will charge to anyway. Seriously, charge your software limited 60's to 100% all the time and you're not hurting anything.

So has the argument of whether the 60 is top or bottom-limited been resolved? Because, as I understand it, that would make or break the case for charging it to 100% all the time.

I'm done. I'm changing my TMC password to the unknown output of cat /dev/urandom | base64 | cut -b1-32 | head -1 and logging out. I seriously can't deal with this forum anymore. I tried, hoped for an intelligent conversation on the topic, and this is what happens: a thread with 70 replies in just a few hours with no substance whatsoever and basically nothing even remotely on topic.

Looks like someone forgot to his happy pill this morning. :D

I mean Apple sells a 64gb phone, but when you turn it on for the first time it is more like 59Gb

The original point here, though, was two-fold. We also discussed usable kWh, like usable Gb on that Apple iPhone. An Apple iPhone does have a 64 Gb chip in it, but since the OS etc. need space, not all of that is usable to the user.

However, the point was, that for several models, Tesla seems to have been misrepresenting the total kWh as well, not just the usable one. So, given your Apple phone example, a Tesla might have had advertised 64 Gb, but really the car only had 61 Gb in parts, of which 56 Gb is usable.

Tesla seems to have corrected their ways in the very latest models, though, and for low-end models they were not as misleading in the first place. Hopefully we can put this episode behind us eventually, but that doesn't really make whole many earlier buyers/owners...

WK just does not tolerate fools well (not that I'm calling anyone a fool)....

Trait I find fairly common in very skilled people, engineers especially (some whom may lack in social graces as well). They have a low tolerance for people beneath their skill level.

And let's be honest, we are all beneath @wk057 's mad skillz level. :) Ergo we are all fools.

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie and Drucifer
Trait I find fairly common in very skilled people, engineers especially (some whom may lack in social graces as well). They have a low tolerance for people beneath their skill level.

It's true - used to be a more predominant case when not everyone and their grandmother was a computer/engineer nerd. Many of the (book) smart folks out there are quite socially inept. :p It's okay, we all have our sh*t.

This is a great thread. It's very interesting to see that the usable capacity in a new 60 pack is 62.5kWh

Using trip meters in my X60D does not seem to jive with that. I charge to 100%(200 miles):
When I have 150 miles remaining range(75% battery remaining), the trip meter tells me that I've used 14.1kWh.
When I have 100 miles remaining range(50% battery remaining), the trip meter tells me that I've used 28.2kWh.

Extrapolating, that seems to mean that when I hit 0 miles remaining range(0% battery remaining), I will have used 56.4kWh. That doesn't jive with the 62.5kWh number. I definitely don't think wk057 is wrong, just trying to figure out where the disconnect may between what the trip meter says that I've used vs. what the battery is capable of.

Reactions: Doubletap67
This is a great thread. It's very interesting to see that the usable capacity in a new 60 pack is 62.5kWh

Using trip meters in my X60D does not seem to jive with that. I charge to 100%(200 miles):
When I have 150 miles remaining range(75% battery remaining), the trip meter tells me that I've used 14.1kWh.
When I have 100 miles remaining range(50% battery remaining), the trip meter tells me that I've used 28.2kWh.

Extrapolating, that seems to mean that when I hit 0 miles remaining range(0% battery remaining), I will have used 56.4kWh. That doesn't jive with the 62.5kWh number. I definitely don't think wk057 is wrong, just trying to figure out where the disconnect may between what the trip meter says that I've used vs. what the battery is capable of.
There are other things the meter does not show like climate usage, 12V battery charging, vampire drain, etc. moreover your energy meter might not be calibrated so when you fully charged to 100% it might be a bit less than the full usable 62.5Kwh. so unless the conditions are perfect you will not be able to see the full 62.5KWh.

Whaaat? All of those things seem to be included in the meter, I think. When using heavy heat or A/C the Wh/mi number goes up quite a bit, which to me indicates that energy usage towards climate is indeed being counted by the trip meter.
I think the meter just look at how much you used to go a certain miles. It cpuls be that the climate is included but I know others are not included.